RE: [mach1mach2cnc] I think I got a problem

  • Dave Halliday
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 24 9:37 PM
      CHKDSK /F

      Could be the start of a bad disk drive.

      Boot the machine, hit F8 until you get the diagnostic prompt and opt for
      just the command prompt. Run check-disk (CHKDSK) with the fix option
      (CHKDSK /F)

      CHKDSK /? Will show all the options.

      Please note, if there are some bad sectors on your drive, CHKDSK will flag
      them as bad -- this may corrupt data and installed applications so make a
      good backup first.

      Other questions:

      How much free space is there on your disk drive? Open your file explorer and
      right-click on the icon for your C: drive. There will be an option at the
      bottom for Properties and you will get a nice pie-chart of allocated v/s
      free space.

      Go to pirform.com and download CCLEANER -- a wonderful free (personal use)
      utility to clean the cr*p out of your system -- it also has the option to
      repair your registry (and it allows you to backup any changes you will
      make).

      Best of luck!
      Dave

    • Inventor
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25 1:55 AM
        Hey Art,
        I'm running SpinRite6...
        Level 2 (Data recovery mode) came up clean.
        Now level 5 is running to check and repair any
        bad sectors... should be done late tomorrow.

        Then I'll try the drivertest.

        Question: How do I make a new config file if I can't
        start Mach in the first place?!?!?

        Grandpa Bill

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

        > Bill:
        >
        > First, try running just the drivertest.exe file. (Im assuming you use a printer port? )
        >
        > If that runs.. then its very likely your hard disk is acting up where mach3 is stored.. or at least is a possibility.
        > If the drivertest crashes you, then something is realy screwd up in the config. Try starting a new configuration with
        > a low kernal speed.

        > www.gearotic.com

      • notoneleft
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 25 3:48 AM
          Remove the .xml file from the Mach3 folder and a new one should be created by Mach3 automatically.

          Gerry

          Level 2 (Data recovery mode) came up clean.
          Now level 5 is running to check and repair any
          bad sectors... should be done late tomorrow.

          Then I'll try the drivertest.

          Question: How do I make a new config file if I can't
          start Mach in the first place?!?!?

          Grandpa Bill

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

          > Bill:
          >
          > First, try running just the drivertest.exe file. (Im assuming you use a printer port? )
          >
          > If that runs.. then its very likely your hard disk is acting up where mach3 is stored.. or at least is a possibility.
          > If the drivertest crashes you, then something is realy screwd up in the config. Try starting a new configuration with
          > a low kernal speed.

          > www.gearotic.com

        • Inventor
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 25 5:20 PM
            Which one?
            I've got to have 6 or 8 of them in that folder.
            Deleted several, but didn't help.

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, CNCWoodworker@... wrote:

            > Remove the .xml file from the Mach3 folder and a new one should be created by Mach3 automatically.
            >
            > Gerry

          • Inventor
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 25 5:30 PM
              Ok Art,
              The Spinrite6 came up totally Clean!
              Not one bad sector... Not one Restore

              Ran the driver test and it came out as "Excellent".

              Had about 6 or 8 XML files and not sure which ones to
              delete..... deleted a few... but "NO JOY" Crashed again.

              Mach is the only program on this machine that is crashing
              me; all the other I've tried so far work as normal.

              So, What's plan "B"?!?!?

              Grandpa Bill

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

              > Bill:
              >
              > First, try running just the drivertest.exe file. (Im assuming you use a printer port? )
              >
              > If that runs.. then its very likely your hard disk is acting up where mach3 is stored.. or at least is a possibility.
              > If the drivertest crashes you, then something is realy screwd up in the config. Try starting a new configuration with
              > a low kernal speed.

              > www.gearotic.com
            • Ron Ginger
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 26 4:46 AM
                > Had about 6 or 8 XML files and not sure which ones to
                > delete..... deleted a few... but "NO JOY" Crashed again.
                >
                > Mach is the only program on this machine that is crashing
                > me; all the other I've tried so far work as normal.
                >
                > So, What's plan "B"?!?!?
                >
                > Grandpa Bill

                You need to delete only the xml which you are using to start mach. If
                you start it with the loader it asks you to choose an xml. Delete teh
                one you normally choose.

                If you start it from an icon on the desktop the icon is assigned to an
                xml. Right click on the icon, select properties, then look at the box
                labeled target. It will have a -p PROFILENAME. That is the xml you are
                starting. Delete it. When mach starts up if it cant find the requested
                xml it creates a new one.

                ron ginger
              • Dean Angevine, Fox Prints
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 26 5:24 AM
                  I'd save all the xml's & then uninstall / reinstall mach, then replace
                  the xml's 1 at a time, until you find the correct one, delete the others.
                  You may have deleted your customization file (xml) already in which case
                  you'll have to set all your ports & pins, preferences & tuning again
                  from scratch anyway.

                  On 3/25/2013 8:30 PM, Inventor wrote:

                  > Ok Art,
                  > The Spinrite6 came up totally Clean!
                  > Not one bad sector... Not one Restore
                  >
                  > Ran the driver test and it came out as "Excellent".
                  >
                  > Had about 6 or 8 XML files and not sure which ones to
                  > delete..... deleted a few... but "NO JOY" Crashed again.
                  >
                  > Mach is the only program on this machine that is crashing
                  > me; all the other I've tried so far work as normal.
                  >
                  > So, What's plan "B"?!?!?
                  >
                  > Grandpa Bill
                  >
                  > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bill:
                  > >
                  > > First, try running just the drivertest.exe file. (Im assuming you
                  > use a printer port? )
                  > >
                  > > If that runs.. then its very likely your hard disk is acting up
                  > where mach3 is stored.. or at least is a possibility.
                  > > If the drivertest crashes you, then something is realy screwd up in
                  > the config. Try starting a new configuration with
                  > > a low kernal speed.
                  > >

                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Art
                  > > www.gearotic.com

                • art2
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 26 11:31 AM
                    Bill:

                    So its mach then.. so its either an xml or a plugin. Empty the plugins folder. See if that stops it, it may be trying to load a corrupted plugin..

                    www.gearotic.com

                    Ran the driver test and it came out as "Excellent".

                    Had about 6 or 8 XML files and not sure which ones to
                    delete..... deleted a few... but "NO JOY" Crashed again.

                    Mach is the only program on this machine that is crashing
                    me; all the other I've tried so far work as normal.

                    So, What's plan "B"?!?!?

                    Grandpa Bill

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                    > Bill:
                    >
                    > First, try running just the drivertest.exe file. (Im assuming you use a printer port? )
                    >
                    > If that runs.. then its very likely your hard disk is acting up where mach3 is stored.. or at least is a possibility.
                    > If the drivertest crashes you, then something is realy screwd up in the config. Try starting a new configuration with
                    > a low kernal speed.

                    > www.gearotic.com

                  • Inventor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                      Hey Art,

                      I'm out of ideas....

                      Renamed all XML's
                      Renamed the Plugins folder
                      STILL CRASHED!

                      Uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled....
                      Tried to open it and it wanted to load:
                      "Application DataPrivcy.xml"
                      Then it crashed.

                      Now this version is installed on the "F" Drive and
                      it's been there for years without a problem.

                      I took ver. 43xx66 (I think) and went with all the
                      default settings to the "C" drive .... IT CRASHED!

                      I'm thinking that I might have to clean out the registry
                      of anything pointing to Mach.

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                      > Bill:
                      >
                      > So its mach then.. so its either an xml or a plugin. Empty the
                      plugins folder. See if that stops it, it may be trying to load a
                      corrupted plugin..

                      > www.gearotic.com

                    • chuck
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                        Bill,
                        can you do a system restore on your PC back to before you started having issues?
                        Chuck
                        Now this version is installed on the "F" Drive and
                        it's been there for years without a problem.

                        I took ver. 43xx66 (I think) and went with all the
                        default settings to the "C" drive .... IT CRASHED!

                        I'm thinking that I might have to clean out the registry
                        of anything pointing to Mach.

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                        > Bill:
                        >
                        > So its mach then.. so its either an xml or a plugin. Empty the
                        plugins folder. See if that stops it, it may be trying to load a
                        corrupted plugin..

                        > www.gearotic.com

                      • art2
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                          Bill:

                          There isnt anythin in the registry for Mach3. I purposely made it so the registry is not involved. All I can think of is
                          perhaps your Video Drivers for OpenGL are defective, or something in the system is gone bad. If it were me, Id reload Windows on top
                          of itself, nothing gets lost that way. Id delete the Mach3 folder and reinstall from there. Save the xml you were using just in case all is well,
                          then copy it back in. Also check your video driver to ensure its the latest one, if the OpenGL went bad, then it may explain alot..

                          www.gearotic.com