RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Mach3 Laser

  • Tony Smith
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 9, 2013
      > Now, this post sparks my interest in building laser using mach 3. I have spare
      > tubes, lenses, mirror for my chinese made laser machine. Perhaps it is time to
      > build a new one using Mach3.
      >
      > Thanks guys for the inputs!
      >
      > Fortino

      You can divide etching up into two areas, vector and raster.

      Vector is easy, that's just cutting with the power turned down.

      Raster has/had a few problems. The simple way is to just turn the laser on and off (B&W dithered images), but most of the ways to do it had problems (some fixed), namely there would be a delay is the laser actually firing, so you wind up with 'wavy' lines as each scan line doesn't quite match up.

      To do wood nicely you need to control the power, and that's done by PWM. The obvious choice is to use the spindle output. Again you've got (or had) timing delays, so that's out.

      People seem to have settled on using an axis (Z is the obvious choice but many lasers have table lift on Z, and some have a rotary axis on A) where height/position relates to power. You set it to go from 0-100 with some insane feed rate & acceleration so you get the response you need.

      I really should read though the latest thread to see what the current consensus is, the above may have changed a bit.

      Tony
    • fortino tan
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 10, 2013
        Tony,
        It looks like that Art has rewritten the code and solve the raster engraving problem.I haven't looked much into Mach3 as building delta 3D printer and DLP printer consume much of my time.But this laser project could be in for the next fun project.
        Fortino

        To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
        From: ajsmith1968@...
        Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 16:14:07 +1100
        Subject: RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Mach3 Laser

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 10, 2013
          > Tony,
          > It looks like that Art has rewritten the code and solve the raster
          engraving
          > problem.I haven't looked much into Mach3 as building delta 3D printer and
          DLP
          > printer consume much of my time.But this laser project could be in for the
          next
          > fun project.
          > Fortino

          That got fixed a while back, that was the laser not switching on quickly
          enough. For most engraving that's enough, but for doing it by varying the
          power levels (from a greyscale image) you'll have to figure it out yourself.

          I've never done it that way, but one day I'll see how other are doing it.
          Some people replace their controls with DLPs (at ~$500), those can do
          greyscale.

          Tony
        • Ragy Samy
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 10, 2013
            how do you change the laser intensity ??

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Boman33" <boman33@...> wrote:

            > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
            >
            > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
            >
            > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
            >
            > Bertho
          • Ragy Samy
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 10, 2013
              I think the link is corrupted .. you said there are two ways for laser engraving .. which one of them does the plug-in you mentioned use ??

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith1968@...> wrote:

              > Not quite true, there's a Mach3 plug-in for laser engraving.
              >
              > See http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/27_files/Page652.htm; there are quite a few threads on the Mach support forum as well.
              >
              > There's two ways to laser engrave. The first is you scan back & forth, turning the laser on and off as required (at a set power level). Good for glass, aluminium etc. this is really etching, not engraving as there's no depth.
              >
              > Proper engraving means you vary the power as you scan, so in wood darker areas are created by burning a deeper hole. This is like moving the z-axis up & down with a normal cutting bit. People have done this, I haven't bothered to find out how (etching\engraving takes f...o....r.....e......v.......e........r.........).
              >
              > Tony

            • Boman33
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 10, 2013
                The spindle motor is set up as pulse width modulation and treated as an RPM
                command.

                Bertho

                From: Ragy Samy Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 21:37

                <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Boman33" <boman33@...> wrote:

                > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
                >
                > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
                >
                > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
                >
                > Bertho

              • Tony Smith
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                  It that just to set the power level before a cut? Does it react fast enough
                  for engraving?

                  Tony

                  > The spindle motor is set up as pulse width modulation and treated as an
                  RPM
                  > command.
                  >
                  > Bertho
                  >

                  > From: Ragy Samy Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 21:37
                  >

                  > how do you change the laser intensity ??
                  >
                  > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Boman33" <boman33@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
                  > >
                  > > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
                  > >
                  > > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
                  > >
                  > > Bertho

                • Tony Smith
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                    The link is just some bloke going thorough how he set his laser up for
                    Mach3, it's good background info. If you go to the next page you find a
                    link to his version based on the one Art did. Presumably there's one on the
                    Mach site as well.

                    That one controls the darkness of each dot by varying how long the laser
                    stays turned on as it moves, so you usually run a high power and tweak as
                    needed. No one has really got a tale that detail what speed, power etc you
                    should use for engraving, everyone's system is different but you can at
                    least get a few hints. (Cutting info is a bit easier to find.)

                    A bit further down he talks about the DotG project which uses a different
                    technique, but still dot-by-by at constant power.

                    There's not much info on doing it by varying the power which is useful of
                    wood (and acrylic) and you'd probably need to write a plug-in to get Mach3
                    to do it, essentially it's like cutting a line and constantly changing the
                    spindle speed.

                    It like when doing letters, at the end of the cut you raise the spindle up,
                    so you get a nice curve & 3D effect (or opposite at the start). With laser
                    that's square as to get the same effect you need to control the power..

                    Tony

                    > I think the link is corrupted .. you said there are two ways for laser
                    engraving
                    > .. which one of them does the plug-in you mentioned use ??
                    >
                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith1968@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > Not quite true, there's a Mach3 plug-in for laser engraving.
                    > >
                    > > See http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/27_files/Page652.htm; there
                    > are quite a few threads on the Mach support forum as well.
                    > >
                    > > There's two ways to laser engrave. The first is you scan back & forth,
                    > turning the laser on and off as required (at a set power level). Good for
                    glass,
                    > aluminium etc. this is really etching, not engraving as there's no depth.
                    > >
                    > > Proper engraving means you vary the power as you scan, so in wood darker
                    > areas are created by burning a deeper hole. This is like moving the
                    z-axis up
                    > & down with a normal cutting bit. People have done this, I haven't
                    bothered
                    > to find out how (etching\engraving takes
                    f...o....r.....e......v.......e........r.........).

                    > > Tony

                  • Boman33
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                      Yes, it is just setting the power level for cutting. I have never tried to
                      see how fast it can be cycled. It work OK to engrave regular letters.
                      (basically just cutting but at lower power.

                      What I really would like is power level control that is proportional to the
                      movement speed. That way the cutting depth stays constant as the movement
                      accelerates. As it is now there is too much power when it just starts.
                      That option is available on industrial lasers.

                      Bertho

                      From: Tony Smith Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 03:23

                      It that just to set the power level before a cut? Does it react fast enough
                      for engraving?

                      Tony

                      > The spindle motor is set up as pulse width modulation and treated as an
                      RPM
                      > command.
                      >
                      > Bertho
                      >

                      > From: Ragy Samy Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 21:37
                      >

                      > how do you change the laser intensity ??
                      >
                      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Boman33" <boman33@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
                      > >
                      > > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
                      > >
                      > > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
                      > >
                      > > Bertho

                    • Daniel
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                        Hi,

                        Spindle PWM command from MAch3 is not fast enough for engraving and changing it on the fly. You can write a simple Gcode with S word on each line, changing the RPM and you will see that it will run slow, not reaching the commanded feed.

                        Regarding the proportional power to speed, I saw a link to one guy's work a few days ago. He implemented a pulse per step approach, such that the laser pulses with each step the motor does. This way the "power" stays constant. Since the steps are very dense and much smaller than the laser's width, you still get a continuous cut, even though it pulses.

                        Dan
                        www.DYengineering.com

                        ________________________________

                        From: Tony Smith  Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 03:23

                        It that just to set the power level before a cut? Does it react fast enough
                        for engraving?

                        Tony

                        > The spindle motor is set up as pulse width modulation and treated as an
                        RPM
                        > command.
                        >
                        > Bertho
                        >

                        > From: Ragy Samy Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 21:37
                        >

                        > how do you change the laser intensity ??
                        >
                        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Boman33" <boman33@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
                        > >
                        > > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
                        > >
                        > > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
                        > >
                        > > Bertho

                      • Boman33
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                          It is easy to use the pulse/step on singular moves, X or Y. If a 45 degree
                          move, the power needs to be 1.4 times higher. With today's processor it
                          would be easy to calculate the correct amount of power. Do you still have
                          the link that you saw?

                          Bertho

                          From Daniel Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 04:01

                          From: Tony Smith Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 03:23

                          It that just to set the power level before a cut? Does it react fast enough
                          for engraving?

                          Tony

                          > The spindle motor is set up as pulse width modulation and treated as an
                          RPM
                          > command.
                          >
                          > Bertho
                          >

                          > From: Ragy Samy Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 21:37
                          >

                          > how do you change the laser intensity ??
                          >
                          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Boman33" <boman33@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
                          > >
                          > > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
                          > >
                          > > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
                          > >
                          > > Bertho

                        • Tony Smith
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                            > Regarding the proportional power to speed, I saw a link to one guy's work
                            > few days ago. He implemented a pulse per step approach, such that the
                            laser
                            > pulses with each step the motor does. This way the "power" stays constant.
                            > Since the steps are very dense and much smaller than the laser's width,
                            you
                            > still get a continuous cut, even though it pulses.

                            Man, that'd take forever to finish. I'd be interesting in the link if you
                            still have it.

                            Tony
                          • Tony Smith
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                              > It is easy to use the pulse/step on singular moves, X or Y. If a 45
                              degree move,
                              > the power needs to be 1.4 times higher. With today's processor it would
                              be
                              > easy to calculate the correct amount of power. Do you still have the link
                              that
                              > you saw?
                              >
                              > Bertho

                              Not if constant velocity was switched on.

                              I've noticed on the cheap Chinese machines they don't cut property on arcs.
                              45 degree straight lines are ok though.

                              Tony
                            • Boman33
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                                Even if constant velocity since each motor will have fewer pulses on a 45
                                degree cut then on a straight cut.

                                The pulse/step would not be slow, as it accelerates normally there will be
                                more and more power to the laser the faster it moves.

                                Bertho

                                From: Tony Smith Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 05:18

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                                  > Even if constant velocity since each motor will have fewer pulses on a 45
                                  > degree cut then on a straight cut.
                                  >
                                  > The pulse/step would not be slow, as it accelerates normally there will be
                                  > more and more power to the laser the faster it moves.
                                  >
                                  > Bertho

                                  True, a diagonal line would only get around 7 pulses while a straight one of
                                  equal length would get 10.

                                  That explains what I've seen on some lasers, eg circles at the 45 degree
                                  points don't cut all the way though. Huh, you learn something new every
                                  day, thanks!

                                  As power control seems to be the hard part, perhaps dropping the speed (~30%
                                  for 45 degree moves) might be easier. A post-processor could do that, arcs
                                  would need to be segments etc for it to work.

                                  A moot point for most engraving as it's scanning back and forth, but helpful
                                  on vector stuff.

                                  Tony
                                • Daniel
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                                    Hi Bertho,

                                    Found the link:
                                    http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/12/getting-more-power-and-cutting-accuracy-out-of-your-home-built-laser-system/

                                    Dan
                                    www.DYengineering.com

                                    ________________________________

                                    From: Tony Smith  Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 03:23

                                    It that just to set the power level before a cut? Does it react fast enough
                                    for engraving?

                                    Tony

                                    > The spindle motor is set up as pulse width modulation and treated as an
                                    RPM
                                    > command.
                                    >
                                    > Bertho
                                    >

                                    > From: Ragy Samy Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 21:37
                                    >

                                    > how do you change the laser intensity ??
                                    >
                                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Boman33" <boman33@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
                                    > >
                                    > > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
                                    > >
                                    > > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
                                    > >
                                    > > Bertho

                                  • Boman33
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 11, 2013
                                      Thanks Dan,

                                      More reading, more distraction..

                                      Bertho

                                      From: Tony Smith Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 03:23

                                      It that just to set the power level before a cut? Does it react fast enough
                                      for engraving?

                                      Tony

                                      > The spindle motor is set up as pulse width modulation and treated as an
                                      RPM
                                      > command.
                                      >
                                      > Bertho
                                      >

                                      > From: Ragy Samy Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 21:37
                                      >

                                      > how do you change the laser intensity ??
                                      >
                                      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                                      <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Boman33" <boman33@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I have for several years been controlling my laser cutter with Mach3.
                                      > >
                                      > > I do not engrave or print pictures, just cut out patterns.
                                      > >
                                      > > What do you need that is not included in Mach3?
                                      > >
                                      > > Bertho

                                    • Tony Smith
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 12, 2013
                                        > Found the link:
                                        > http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/12/getting-more-power-and-cutting-
                                        > accuracy-out-of-your-home-built-laser-system/
                                        >
                                        > Dan

                                        Interesting. One complaint about the Chinese power supplies (which he's
                                        using) is you can't change the pulse rate, it's fixed at whatever it is.
                                        (On mine I can see the chip that I think generates that signal, I should
                                        scope it one day.)

                                        So he's adding his pulse in front of that, I wonder if that actually works.
                                        I guess if the supply PPI is quite high (many 1,000's) then his relatively
                                        low (100's) PPI would work.

                                        It's occurred to me that waterjets & plasma cutters would have the same poor
                                        cutting problem on 45 degree lines as lasers. I realise hobbyist waterjets
                                        are rare, but maybe someone with a plasma cutter would care to offer a
                                        comment.

                                        Tony