RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Is a Break out board needed with these drives?

  • Bob Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3 7:31 PM
      Dustin,

      I will download the driver data sheet and look at it.

      I don't believe that you want to run the encoders through the smooth
      stepper. I will check with Greg.

      If you servo drives are like the Gecko servo drives the encoders will go
      back to the drives.

      I have both the USB smooth steppers and the Ethernet smooth stepper in
      stock.

      If your machine uses a high frequency spindle you will need my combo board.
      Otherwise you can use the standard $99.00 board.

      I will help you any way that I can.

      This next weekend I will have a booth at the wood working show in Fort Worth
      Texas. The booth will be manned by the North Texas CNC user group.

      Bob Campbell

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3 10:04 PM
        Hi Dustin,
        I took a look at that drive, cool one!
        You want to operate the drive in position mode with the encoder feedback
        to the drive. The step and direction outputs of the Smoothstepper is
        then connected to the auxillary encoder connector (P3) on the drive. A
        breakout-board isn't strictly needed (it rarely is) but it almost always
        makes wiring the system up a lot easier. There are a couple of break-out
        boards specifically made for the Smoothstepper available, might be worth
        a look.

        You can feed the encoder back to the Smoothstepper as well as to the
        drive (but you don't have to). It will allow you to SHOW the actual
        position in Mach3. The actual position-loop is handled by the drive
        though. I'd probably let this be until you get the rest going.

        Apparently you need to get a CAN-interface for the PC in order to
        configure and tune the drive, that kind of sucks since you're not
        actually going to USE the CAN-interface in operation. Oh well....

        Good luck!
        /Henrik.

        On 4 mar 2013 02:29 "Dustin Cluff" <dustinrcluff@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Been away for a while but finally getting back to my project which is
        > converting a servo controlled engraving machine to Mach3. I just
        > purchased
        > some Advanced Motion Control drives (
        > <http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/dx15co8.pdf> Would I need a
        > BOB with
        > these drives? I'm considering using a Smoothstepper with them.
        > Also another question that is of almost equal importance is: These
        > drives have the encoder feedback loop running into them. I also
        > noticed
        > that the smoothstepper also has inputs for encoders (up to 3 axes).Do
        > feed the encoder inputs into the smoothspper as well? also if I were
        > later add a 4th axis would the Smoothstepper be able to handle the
        > inputs?
        > Thanks for any and all help, Dustin

      • Dustin Cluff
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4 11:25 AM
          Thank you for the input Bob and Henrik. Very much appreciated.
          -Dustin