Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Custom open source MACH3 and Linux CNC pendant controller

  • Wayne Weedon
    Message 1 of 147 , Mar 1, 2013
      On 27/02/2013 00:34, ptegler wrote:
      > I'll add a side note.... perhaps it was my fat fingers....
      >
      > I use the pendant to sometime 'run the mill manually'
      > While holding one of the arrows, apparently I roiled my finger over just
      > enough while looking at the mill to hit the home button.
      > Yep...you guessed it...right in the middle of the operations the mill
      > started a home function. It grabbed the work piece hard enough to move my
      > mill head (not a square column mill) and have it jump almost 1" sideways
      > away from the work piece, over loaded the mot enough to have the breaker
      > kick out, stopping it before I could even react and hit the panic stop . It
      > took nearly 15 minutes to get the head locks loosened enough to re-tram the
      > head. I'm still amazed the cobalt bit did not break
      > I've now opened up the pendant and removed the home button

      If there was not a home button on the program run screen it would not
      happen surely?

      It was always a odd thing to have on the default screen. OK of course
      for those that don't reference to switches, but for those that do it's a
      risk.

      Wayne....
    • Dave
      Message 147 of 147 , Mar 28, 2013
        I'm going to kick in here and agree with Terry as I don't want to see
        you take a bath.

        You mentioned $8000 for dies (those are cheap dies). Add in machine
        time, operator time (they don't run themselves), some scrap rate,
        materials (plastic is cheap but not free), electricity (20+KW for a
        small machine)..

        If you do 1000 pieces I see more than $10-12 per case and that is
        probably low.

        Unless you have an injection machine in the garage with a live-in
        operator, I don't see the numbers working..

        Dave