RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Digest Number 9424

  • Jason Owensby
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2013
      Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&Tmach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com wrote: Mach1,Mach2 and Mach3 CNC Group
      15 New Messages Digest #9424
      1a Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration by "Steve Simpson" tall_man_dancer
      1b Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration by "Hood" robin_dempster
      1c Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration by "Dave Sage" davesage12@...
      1d Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration by "Jeffrey Birt" jeff.birt
      1e Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration by "Brian Klemis" brian_cnc4you
      2 Remote driver installation by "agelkom" agelkom
      3 CNC Seminar day at Cabin Fever Expo by "Ron Ginger" yaginger
      4.1 Re: Custom open source MACH3 and Linux CNC pendant controller by "Dave Sage" davesage12@...
      5.1 Re: Wizard Testing (;-) by "Brian Barker" barker806
      5.2 Re: Wizard Testing (;-) by "chuck" whatsit_stick
      5.3 Re: Wizard Testing (;-) by "Brian Barker" barker806
      5.4 Re: Wizard Testing (;-) by "chuck" whatsit_stick
      5.5 Re: Wizard Testing (;-) by "Gerard" wittewalvis
      5.6 Re: Wizard Testing (;-) by "Brian Barker" barker806
      5.7 Re: Wizard Testing (;-) by "Andy Wander" andywander
      Messages
      1a Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 am (PST) . Posted by: "Steve Simpson" tall_man_dancer Hello Hood,

      This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
      because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
      explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
      having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
      fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.

      I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
      aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
      up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
      kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.

      What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?

      Thanks

      - Steve

      On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Hood <
      robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The problems I know of are
      > wear offsets get doubled for X when in Dia mode
      > Some DROs wont accept input, especially tool info ones.
      > Threading reportedly doesnt work with PP
      > Have had reports of home switches being ignored and as limits are disabled
      > during homing the axis slams into the end of the travel.
      >
      > With mill and possibly Turn there is an issue with VB buttons and macros,
      > macros sometimes only execute partialy and button scripts sometimes dont
      > run at all.
      >
      > I mentioned on Skype about at least one issue to Brian and it was
      > basically shrugged off so I have not bothered reporting any more as I dont
      > feel like wasting my time again.
      >
      > Regarding which version I use on the lathe, it is 057
      >
      > Hood
      >
      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:
      > >
      > > > You need to get a newer version of Mach, I think you must be using 056
      > or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the
      > lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with
      > Turn and at least one with Mill.
      > > > Hood
      > >
      > > Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it
      > won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It
      > will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.
      > >
      > > What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version
      > do you think would work best for this lathe?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Paul T.

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (16) . Top ^
      1b Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 am (PST) . Posted by: "Hood" robin_dempster I use 057 on the lathe an 056 on mill. Only reason I use 056 on mill is because that is what I had previously loaded on it and it worked fine so cant really say if newer revisions are ok on mill or not but I suspect anything below 066 will be fine.
      As mentioned previously 056 and Turn had false softlimit warning messages but that does not affect mill.
      Hood

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Simpson wrote:

      > Hello Hood,
      >
      > This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
      > because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
      > explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
      > having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
      > fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.
      >
      > I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
      > aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
      > up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
      > kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.
      >
      > What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > - Steve
      >

      > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Hood <
      > robin/dorothy@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > The problems I know of are
      > > wear offsets get doubled for X when in Dia mode
      > > Some DROs wont accept input, especially tool info ones.
      > > Threading reportedly doesnt work with PP
      > > Have had reports of home switches being ignored and as limits are disabled
      > > during homing the axis slams into the end of the travel.
      > >
      > > With mill and possibly Turn there is an issue with VB buttons and macros,
      > > macros sometimes only execute partialy and button scripts sometimes dont
      > > run at all.
      > >
      > > I mentioned on Skype about at least one issue to Brian and it was
      > > basically shrugged off so I have not bothered reporting any more as I dont
      > > feel like wasting my time again.
      > >
      > > Regarding which version I use on the lathe, it is 057
      > >
      > > Hood

      > > or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the
      > > lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with
      > > Turn and at least one with Mill.
      > > >
      > > > Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it
      > > won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It
      > > will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.
      > > >
      > > > What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version
      > > do you think would work best for this lathe?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Paul T.

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (16) . Top ^
      1c Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 am (PST) . Posted by: "Dave Sage" davesage12@... And Mach3 is at what - Rev 56 and how many years later we still have
      problems. I hope were not just going to start this game all over again with
      Mach4.

      Such is the software game though I guess.

      Let the games begin :-)

      Sage

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (16) . Top ^
      1d Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 am (PST) . Posted by: "Jeffrey Birt" jeff.birt I have been recommending .062 for a while now. It has been really stable and
      is noew enough to work with the latest SmoothStepper plug-ins. Before that I
      think I was at .056 just like Hood which was also very stable, some changes
      were made at 0.58 and above that the newer SmoothStepper plugins depend on.

      Jeff Birt

      Soigeneris.com

      , Steve Simpson wrote:

      > Hello Hood,
      >
      > This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
      > because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
      > explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
      > having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
      > fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.
      >
      > I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
      > aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
      > up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
      > kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.
      >
      > What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > - Steve

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (16) . Top ^
      1e Re: Limit switch & de-acceleration
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 am (PST) . Posted by: "Brian Klemis" brian_cnc4you Hello Hood,
      Lets hope your concerns are addressed and we have a definitive working bug free Mach3 before Mach4 is launched as we are selling copies of Mach3 to our customers and VB needs to be stable so people who do not wish to upgrade to Mach4 will not feel compelled to upgrade. I understand reluctance for new features but would have thought bug fixes would be compulsory.

      thanks Brian.

      ________________________________
      I use 057 on the lathe an 056 on mill. Only reason I use 056 on mill is because that is what I had previously loaded on it and it worked fine so cant really say if newer revisions are ok on mill or not but I suspect anything below 066 will be fine.
      As mentioned previously 056 and Turn had false softlimit warning messages but that does not affect mill.
      Hood

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Simpson wrote:

      > Hello Hood,
      >
      > This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
      > because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
      > explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
      > having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
      > fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.
      >
      > I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
      > aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
      > up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
      > kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.
      >
      > What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > - Steve
      >

      > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Hood <
      > robin/dorothy@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > The problems I know of are
      > > wear offsets get doubled for X when in Dia mode
      > > Some DROs wont accept input, especially tool info ones.
      > > Threading reportedly doesnt work with PP
      > > Have had reports of home switches being ignored and as limits are disabled
      > > during homing the axis slams into the end of the travel.
      > >
      > > With mill and possibly Turn there is an issue with VB buttons and macros,
      > > macros sometimes only execute partialy and button scripts sometimes dont
      > > run at all.
      > >
      > > I mentioned on Skype about at least one issue to Brian and it was
      > > basically shrugged off so I have not bothered reporting any more as I dont
      > > feel like wasting my time again.
      > >
      > > Regarding which version I use on the lathe, it is 057
      > >
      > > Hood

      > > or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the
      > > lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with
      > > Turn and at least one with Mill.
      > > >
      > > > Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it
      > > won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It
      > > will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.
      > > >
      > > > What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version
      > > do you think would work best for this lathe?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Paul T.

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (16) . Top ^
      2 Remote driver installation
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:13 am (PST) . Posted by: "agelkom" agelkom Hi,
      Is there anybody install motor driver near the stepper/servo motor for long gantry like 20' or more length. With opto-coupler isolated BOB and driver inputs.
      Plese share your experience
      Can

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (1) . Top ^
      3 CNC Seminar day at Cabin Fever Expo
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 am (PST) . Posted by: "Ron Ginger" yaginger Friday, April 12 will be CNC seminar day at Cabin Fever Expo. We will
      be having 3 seminar sessions during the day. These seminars are open to
      anyone that is registered for Cabin Fever. Registration is $10 and is
      good for all activities, the seminars, the auction and the show. No
      advance registration is required. See Cabinfeverexpo.com for more
      details about the show.

      10:00 "Introduction to CamBam - home shop CAM" by Kirk Benson. Kirk is
      an experienced user of CamBam for his model engineering projects.

      1:00 "Introduction to Mach4"- by Brian Barker, the chief designer of the
      new Mach4 software will be giving the first public introduction and
      demonstration of the all new Mach4 CNC control software. This will
      include installing, setup, and operation of the software, as well as
      using the all new screen designer and scripting facility.

      4:00 "Demonstration of the Mill Wizard for Mach4" by Ron Ginger. This
      session will use the new Mill Wizards for Mach4 to develop the gcode for
      a part for a model engine. We will be running the part on machines setup
      in the Show area on Saturday and Sunday.

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (1) . Top ^
      4.1 Re: Custom open source MACH3 and Linux CNC pendant controller
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 am (PST) . Posted by: "Dave Sage" davesage12@... Paul:

      Re HOME key.

      Wow. That's bad. I know what it's like though. I have a bug chunk out of the
      hardened chuck jaw on my rotory table. I can't remember what I did but it
      was startling. Mine was a 3/8 carbide bit and it didn't break either - big
      surprise. One thing for sure when things go wrong on a CNC they can go wrong
      in a big hurry. An emergency stop button is a nice thing but fact is by the
      time you get to it it's too late.

      I might consider disabling the Home button or reprogram it to do nothing
      (probably a better choice). I never use the home function.

      Thanks for the heads up.

      Sage

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (107) . Top ^
      5.1 Re: Wizard Testing (;-)
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 am (PST) . Posted by: "Brian Barker" barker806 I hope you enjoy the software as much as we do :)

      On 2/26/2013 11:42 PM, chuck wrote:
      > thanx Brian,
      > guess I should have looked on the site.
      > just sent the bucks.
      > thanks for all the hard work getting this out.
      > can't wait for the next ver of Mach.
      > Chuck

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (27) . Top ^
      5.2 Re: Wizard Testing (;-)
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:54 am (PST) . Posted by: "chuck" whatsit_stick morning Brian,
      will the lic be in an email?
      Chuck

      I hope you enjoy the software as much as we do :)

      On 2/26/2013 11:42 PM, chuck wrote:
      > thanx Brian,
      > guess I should have looked on the site.
      > just sent the bucks.
      > thanks for all the hard work getting this out.
      > can't wait for the next ver of Mach.
      > Chuck

      Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (27) . Top ^
      5.3 Re: Wizard Testing (;-)
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 am (PST) . Posted by: "Brian Barker" barker806 Scott should be sending it out.. If not tell me and I will send it to
      you :)

      On 2/27/2013 8:54 AM, chuck wrote:
      > morning Brian,
      > will the lic be in an email?
      > Chuck

      5.4 Re: Wizard Testing (;-)
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:08 am (PST) . Posted by: "chuck" whatsit_stick Thanx Brian,
      I'll be seeing you at CFE in April.
      Chuck

      Scott should be sending it out.. If not tell me and I will send it to
      you :)

      On 2/27/2013 8:54 AM, chuck wrote:
      > morning Brian,
      > will the lic be in an email?
      > Chuck

      5.5 Re: Wizard Testing (;-)
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:19 am (PST) . Posted by: "Gerard" wittewalvis Hello Brian

      I wonder whether the G code can only be used for Mach 3 or can I use it also with USB-CNC

      Gerard

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker wrote:

      > Scott should be sending it out.. If not tell me and I will send it to
      > you :)
      >
      > On 2/27/2013 8:54 AM, chuck wrote:
      > > morning Brian,
      > > will the lic be in an email?
      > > Chuck

      5.6 Re: Wizard Testing (;-)
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 am (PST) . Posted by: "Brian Barker" barker806 Should be able to use the code with any CNC machine :)

      On 2/27/2013 10:19 AM, Gerard wrote:
      > Hello Brian
      >
      > I wonder whether the G code can only be used for Mach 3 or can I use it also with USB-CNC
      >
      > Gerard
      >
      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker wrote:
      >> Scott should be sending it out.. If not tell me and I will send it to
      >> you :)
      >>
      >> On 2/27/2013 8:54 AM, chuck wrote:
      >>> morning Brian,
      >>> will the lic be in an email?
      >>> Chuck

      5.7 Re: Wizard Testing (;-)
      Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:22 am (PST) . Posted by: "Andy Wander" andywander Well-it sounds more expensive!..:(...I am struggling a bit with personal
      finances at the moment, so I had hoped the Lathe package would be a part of
      this....I do understand, though, that you need to set reasonable pricing
      policy to stay in business, and to improve the product.

      Andy Wander

      _____