RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Limit switch & de-acceleration

  • Jeffrey Birt
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 26 8:57 AM
      Yes soft limits works, I have not tried it on a lathe but would suspect it
      will not work on the lathe. Softlimits is a function of the planner in Mach
      so it should work with any motion device.

      Jeff Birt

      Soigeneris.com

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 26 9:30 AM
        I have Mach setup on a lathe using parallel ports. Soft limits work
        fine when jogging, but when I run a program Mach reports the program is
        out of range for soft limits. After clicking ignore soft limits the
        program runs fine. I think this is a known problem with Mach used on a
        lathe. I don't see the problem on my Mach milling machine.
        George

        On 2/26/2013 9:51 AM, cnc sales wrote:

        > ? Does softlimits work with the SS ?
        > On lathe with SS ?
        >
        > Does anyone know ?
        > >
        > > You have the right idea, hitting a limit is an emergency condition
        > so the
        > > pulse train is stopped abruptly and you will lose position. The best way
        > > around this is to use Mach's 'Soft Limits' feature. Once you home the
        > > machine Mach and turn on 'Soft Limits' Mach will keep you from
        > hitting the
        > > limits by slowing down/stopping the machine before the limit is hit.
        > > Take a
        > > look at the Mach3 manual for more information on setting 'Soft
        > Limits' up.
        > >
        > > Jeff Birt

      • Hood
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 26 10:09 AM
          Jeff, could be wrong but I think softlimits are in the the Smoothstepper as I can remember a time when they were not implemented.
          They do work fine on a lathe, or certainly with the ESS, cant recall if the USB SS supported them or not but think it did.
          Hood
          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

          > Yes soft limits works, I have not tried it on a lathe but would suspect it
          > will not work on the lathe. Softlimits is a function of the planner in Mach
          > so it should work with any motion device.
          >

          > Jeff Birt
          >
          > Soigeneris.com

        • Hood
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 26 10:13 AM
            You need to get a newer version of Mach, I think you must be using 056 or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with Turn and at least one with Mill.
            Hood

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, George <at6c@...> wrote:

            > I have Mach setup on a lathe using parallel ports. Soft limits work
            > fine when jogging, but when I run a program Mach reports the program is
            > out of range for soft limits. After clicking ignore soft limits the
            > program runs fine. I think this is a known problem with Mach used on a
            > lathe. I don't see the problem on my Mach milling machine.
            > George
            >
            > On 2/26/2013 9:51 AM, cnc sales wrote:
            > >
            > > ? Does softlimits work with the SS ?
            > > On lathe with SS ?
            > >
            > > Does anyone know ?
            > > >
            > > > You have the right idea, hitting a limit is an emergency condition
            > > so the
            > > > pulse train is stopped abruptly and you will lose position. The best way
            > > > around this is to use Mach's 'Soft Limits' feature. Once you home the
            > > > machine Mach and turn on 'Soft Limits' Mach will keep you from
            > > hitting the
            > > > limits by slowing down/stopping the machine before the limit is hit.
            > > > Take a
            > > > look at the Mach3 manual for more information on setting 'Soft
            > > Limits' up.
            > > >
            > > > Jeff Birt

          • Daniel
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 26 10:29 AM
              Just to confirm that Softlimits work fine on a lathe with USB SS as well.

              Dan
              www.DYengineering.com

              ________________________________
              Jeff, could be wrong but I think softlimits are in the the Smoothstepper as I can remember a time when they were not implemented.
              They do work fine on a lathe, or certainly with the ESS, cant recall if the USB SS supported them or not but think it did.
              Hood
              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

              > Yes soft limits works, I have not tried it on a lathe but would suspect it
              > will not work on the lathe. Softlimits is a function of the planner in Mach
              > so it should work with any motion device.
              >

              > Jeff Birt
              >
              > Soigeneris.com

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 26 6:07 PM
                > You need to get a newer version of Mach, I think you must be using 056 or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with Turn and at least one with Mill.
                > Hood

                Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.

                What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version do you think would work best for this lathe?

                Thanks,

                Paul T.
              • Hood
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 27 12:19 AM
                  The problems I know of are
                  wear offsets get doubled for X when in Dia mode
                  Some DROs wont accept input, especially tool info ones.
                  Threading reportedly doesnt work with PP
                  Have had reports of home switches being ignored and as limits are disabled during homing the axis slams into the end of the travel.

                  With mill and possibly Turn there is an issue with VB buttons and macros, macros sometimes only execute partialy and button scripts sometimes dont run at all.

                  I mentioned on Skype about at least one issue to Brian and it was basically shrugged off so I have not bothered reporting any more as I dont feel like wasting my time again.

                  Regarding which version I use on the lathe, it is 057

                  Hood

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pt@...> wrote:

                  > > You need to get a newer version of Mach, I think you must be using 056 or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with Turn and at least one with Mill.
                  > > Hood
                  >
                  > Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.
                  >
                  > What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version do you think would work best for this lathe?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Paul T.

                • Steve Simpson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27 5:02 AM
                    Hello Hood,

                    This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
                    because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
                    explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
                    having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
                    fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.

                    I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
                    aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
                    up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
                    kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.

                    What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?

                    Thanks

                    - Steve

                    On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Hood <
                    robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > The problems I know of are
                    > wear offsets get doubled for X when in Dia mode
                    > Some DROs wont accept input, especially tool info ones.
                    > Threading reportedly doesnt work with PP
                    > Have had reports of home switches being ignored and as limits are disabled
                    > during homing the axis slams into the end of the travel.
                    >
                    > With mill and possibly Turn there is an issue with VB buttons and macros,
                    > macros sometimes only execute partialy and button scripts sometimes dont
                    > run at all.
                    >
                    > I mentioned on Skype about at least one issue to Brian and it was
                    > basically shrugged off so I have not bothered reporting any more as I dont
                    > feel like wasting my time again.
                    >
                    > Regarding which version I use on the lathe, it is 057
                    >
                    > Hood
                    >
                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > You need to get a newer version of Mach, I think you must be using 056
                    > or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the
                    > lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with
                    > Turn and at least one with Mill.
                    > > > Hood
                    > >
                    > > Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it
                    > won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It
                    > will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.
                    > >
                    > > What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version
                    > do you think would work best for this lathe?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Paul T.

                  • Hood
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 27 5:27 AM
                      I use 057 on the lathe an 056 on mill. Only reason I use 056 on mill is because that is what I had previously loaded on it and it worked fine so cant really say if newer revisions are ok on mill or not but I suspect anything below 066 will be fine.
                      As mentioned previously 056 and Turn had false softlimit warning messages but that does not affect mill.
                      Hood

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Simpson <steve@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Hood,
                      >
                      > This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
                      > because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
                      > explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
                      > having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
                      > fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.
                      >
                      > I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
                      > aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
                      > up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
                      > kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.
                      >
                      > What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > - Steve
                      >

                      > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Hood <
                      > robin/dorothy@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > The problems I know of are
                      > > wear offsets get doubled for X when in Dia mode
                      > > Some DROs wont accept input, especially tool info ones.
                      > > Threading reportedly doesnt work with PP
                      > > Have had reports of home switches being ignored and as limits are disabled
                      > > during homing the axis slams into the end of the travel.
                      > >
                      > > With mill and possibly Turn there is an issue with VB buttons and macros,
                      > > macros sometimes only execute partialy and button scripts sometimes dont
                      > > run at all.
                      > >
                      > > I mentioned on Skype about at least one issue to Brian and it was
                      > > basically shrugged off so I have not bothered reporting any more as I dont
                      > > feel like wasting my time again.
                      > >
                      > > Regarding which version I use on the lathe, it is 057
                      > >
                      > > Hood

                      > > or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the
                      > > lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with
                      > > Turn and at least one with Mill.
                      > > >
                      > > > Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it
                      > > won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It
                      > > will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.
                      > > >
                      > > > What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version
                      > > do you think would work best for this lathe?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks,
                      > > >
                      > > > Paul T.

                    • Dave Sage
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 27 5:51 AM
                        And Mach3 is at what - Rev 56 and how many years later we still have
                        problems. I hope were not just going to start this game all over again with
                        Mach4.

                        Such is the software game though I guess.

                        Let the games begin :-)

                        Sage

                      • Jeffrey Birt
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 27 5:55 AM
                          I have been recommending .062 for a while now. It has been really stable and
                          is noew enough to work with the latest SmoothStepper plug-ins. Before that I
                          think I was at .056 just like Hood which was also very stable, some changes
                          were made at 0.58 and above that the newer SmoothStepper plugins depend on.

                          Jeff Birt

                          Soigeneris.com

                          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , Steve Simpson wrote:

                          > Hello Hood,
                          >
                          > This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
                          > because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
                          > explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
                          > having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
                          > fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.
                          >
                          > I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
                          > aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
                          > up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
                          > kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.
                          >
                          > What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > - Steve

                        • Brian Klemis
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 27 6:11 AM
                            Hello Hood,
                            Lets hope your concerns are addressed and we have a definitive working bug free Mach3 before Mach4 is launched as we are selling copies of Mach3 to our customers and VB needs to be stable so people who do not wish to upgrade to Mach4 will not feel compelled to upgrade. I understand reluctance for new features but would have thought bug fixes would be compulsory.

                            thanks Brian.

                            ________________________________

                            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Simpson wrote:

                            > Hello Hood,
                            >
                            > This news is distressing and wonderful at the same time. Distressing
                            > because the problems are there, but wonderful in that it (hopefully)
                            > explains the bizarre behavior and rather extreme instability I have been
                            > having lately. I keep updating the software thinking the problems will be
                            > fixed and here I find out I have been going further down a bad road.
                            >
                            > I have VB scripts and also G-code that only run partially and stop for no
                            > aparrent reason and also problems with VB button scripts. Mach often locks
                            > up when exiting notepad after editing a G-code program. Certain VB scripts
                            > kick off a smoothstepper error about half of the time.
                            >
                            > What version of MACH do you recommend for milling?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > - Steve
                            >

                            > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Hood <
                            > robin/dorothy@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > The problems I know of are
                            > > wear offsets get doubled for X when in Dia mode
                            > > Some DROs wont accept input, especially tool info ones.
                            > > Threading reportedly doesnt work with PP
                            > > Have had reports of home switches being ignored and as limits are disabled
                            > > during homing the axis slams into the end of the travel.
                            > >
                            > > With mill and possibly Turn there is an issue with VB buttons and macros,
                            > > macros sometimes only execute partialy and button scripts sometimes dont
                            > > run at all.
                            > >
                            > > I mentioned on Skype about at least one issue to Brian and it was
                            > > basically shrugged off so I have not bothered reporting any more as I dont
                            > > feel like wasting my time again.
                            > >
                            > > Regarding which version I use on the lathe, it is 057
                            > >
                            > > Hood

                            > > or thereabouts. However, DONT!!!! whatever you do, go as new as the
                            > > lockdown (066)or the Dev (067) version as they have quite a few issues with
                            > > Turn and at least one with Mill.
                            > > >
                            > > > Hood, I'm in the process of bringing up a lathe with Mach3. For now it
                            > > won't have a spindle index signal so I'm not worried about threading. It
                            > > will be running using the PP version driving steppers with geckos.
                            > > >
                            > > > What problems does version 066 have with lathes and which Mach version
                            > > do you think would work best for this lathe?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > >
                            > > > Paul T.

                          • Rjreese29
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 27 12:02 PM
                              Hi,
                              I am currently running softlimits in both mill and lathe XML with a USB ss under the current lockdown and msm pro screen set. Ther was a bit of trouble setting it up because I was not homing to the proper quadrant. When I changed my homing quadrant (I believe quadrant 4). When homing, the spindle has to home towards -x and +y. Once I corrected to to these homing directions, softlimits started working for me in both mill and lathe and have been faultless thanks to Dave.

                              Hope this helps someone.

                              Rob