Re: Custom open source MACH3 and Linux CNC pendant controller

  • Dave Sage
    Message 1 of 147 , Feb 26, 2013
      Gerry:

      Received my pendant today. Great work !! Works like a charm. Seems pretty
      sturdy as well. I'm always afraid I might drop my current ShuttlePro pendant
      (and have done so sending buttons flying) but yours seems like it might
      withstand accidental drops.

      One small point. Even though I was in on the initial button discussion it
      wasn't until I actually went to use it I realized one more button would be
      useful. A STOP button.

      You can start Gcode with the START button and pause it with the PAUSE button
      but it cannot be stopped.

      Quite often when I'm running a program I see an improvement can be made so I
      PAUSE first and then STOP the code. The pause first is important since
      pressing stop directly can cause a loss of steps and loss of position. Since
      I intend to re-start the code again I don't want to have to re-calibrate the
      position. I'm pretty sure using reset in this case would be a no-no as well.

      It's not a big deal because the computer is only a step away and I can pause
      then use the stop on the screen. But a stop button may be a consideration
      for future versions. Once you release the open source files I'll probably
      re-program my reset button to be a stop. I rarely use the reset button on my
      current ShuttlePro pendant.

      I'm also wondering about another thing. It would be nice if the buttons had
      more visible lettering. What do you think would happen if one turned the
      pendant upside down onto a stamp pad or maybe onto a surface plate coated
      with bearing blue to ink the letters and let it dry well. Do you think the
      rubber would absorb the ink and be relatively durable?? Would you be willing
      to try that with a spare button you might have around and report back?

      Thanks for a nice product.

      BTW - Is there a way to contact you? I haven't discovered an email address
      anywhere and I'm not really into the social media scene like Facebook et.
      al.

      I'm sure this forum is not the place for your support questions since this
      has turned into a product of its own. (thanks to all for allowing this
      transgression)

      Sage

    • Dave
      Message 147 of 147 , Mar 28, 2013
        I'm going to kick in here and agree with Terry as I don't want to see
        you take a bath.

        You mentioned $8000 for dies (those are cheap dies). Add in machine
        time, operator time (they don't run themselves), some scrap rate,
        materials (plastic is cheap but not free), electricity (20+KW for a
        small machine)..

        If you do 1000 pieces I see more than $10-12 per case and that is
        probably low.

        Unless you have an injection machine in the garage with a live-in
        operator, I don't see the numbers working..

        Dave