Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Ethernet Smooth Stepper

  • Rjreese29
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 24, 2013
      Yes!! My USB smoothstepper had the same issue. I say that mistakenly. My system gained some noise and my x axis began to drift after some time after i built my machine.It was super frustrating as the part came out all wrong:). After cleaning up all my wiring, getting all the low voltage stuff away from anything high voltage solved my issue amongst other good wiring practices. I am not well versed in electricity, but learning everyday.
      By no means was it the smoothstepper issue in my case.
      We hope you get it going.

      Rob

      On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:00 PM, Wayne Weedon <wayne@...> wrote:

      > On 24/02/2013 16:58, cd_edwards2002 wrote:
      > > I basically gave up on using my ethernet SS board as I was experiencing a problem with loosing/gaining steps on my Z. It was never consistant and after fighting with the problem for 3 weeks I gave up. Cuts would start ok, but half way through would be either cutting right through the material or cutting air. One thing I do need todo is to upgrade my PS. I'm using a 48v 7.5amp switching supply and my concern is that holding Z while moving 3 other motors, I might not have enough amperage. my motors are Keling 400oz/in whould if I'm not mistaken are similar to the Gecko drives available.
      > >

      > Sounds more like electrical noise causing your problems than anything
      > else. Brushed router by any chance?

    • Henrik Olsson
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 18, 2014
        Hi Eric,
        If you really do have electrical interference feeding back into the PC locking it up or making it reboot then an Ethernet Smoothstepper might help preventing the PC from doing that. However, the electrical interference previously messing with the PC might now mess with the Smoothstepper instead, possibly making IT misbehave - instead of the PC.

        I'm not saying this IS what's going to happen but you need to consider it. If it doesn't run reliably with the PC and the issue isn't related to the PC itself then throwing a Smoothstepper at it probably (probably) won't help.

        After 5 years of messing about, spending a couple of weeks (if that's what it takes) rewiring it properly sounds like a good investment of time to me. Run power wires separate from signal wires, don't daisychain ground/common connections, keep it nice and tidy.

        /Henrik.

        17 mars 2014, ehorton@... skrev:

        Hello Andy

        I should have said that this has been an on going project for the last 5 years. I can never get the mill to run for more than a few minutes and then i get frustrated and leave it for several months at a time. Right now I have a reliable computer that will can Mach 3 with a simulated axis exercise program. My goal is 1 week without the computer locking up. Right now when the PP ports are connected and mill powered I get maybe 5 to 10 minutes run time and computer is either locked up or has rebooted it self. I think this is feedback thru the PP ports. By isolating the computer from the mill electrionics and letting the ESS do the all the motion control in theroy this should get rid of the feedback problem. I dont want to spend weeks being Tim the toolman Taylor and rewire the darn thing but maybe thats where I need to go.

        Eric