Re: Ethernet Smooth Stepper

  • cd_edwards2002
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 24, 2013
      I basically gave up on using my ethernet SS board as I was experiencing a problem with loosing/gaining steps on my Z. It was never consistant and after fighting with the problem for 3 weeks I gave up. Cuts would start ok, but half way through would be either cutting right through the material or cutting air. One thing I do need todo is to upgrade my PS. I'm using a 48v 7.5amp switching supply and my concern is that holding Z while moving 3 other motors, I might not have enough amperage. my motors are Keling 400oz/in whould if I'm not mistaken are similar to the Gecko drives available.

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, qconvers@... wrote:

      > It was such a long time ago when I first built my machine but I seem to
      > recall the tool would go walk about in the middle of a job. I just remember
      > earthing the USB lead shield and it's never faltered since. That was years
      > ago. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but it made for a
      > harmonious system in my case.
      >
      > I think I took Jeff's advice all those years ago and used expensive Igus
      > shielded cable all over my 8 X 4 foot machine, earthing the shields at the
      > control box only... It was the only shield I had not earthed and so to me it
      > seemed to make sense... it worked.
      >
      > Regards Dave K

      > cd.edwards@... writes:
      >

      > What were the symptoms of that noise?
      >
      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, qconvers@ wrote:
      > >
      > > That's what I've done with my BOB and I suffered from noise until I
      > > connected the USB shield to earth.
      > >
      > > Dave K
      > >

      > > In a message dated 23/02/2013 1:01:37 A.M. GMT Daylight Time,
      > > msheppard@ writes:
      > >
      > > i just cut the end off a usb cable and used the 5v for the motherboard.
      > it
      > > works great.
      > >

      > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "cwdonoghue" <cwdonoghue@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > that should work. I used a 5V unregulated cell phone charger to power
      > my
      > > breakout board. It worked fine. The important part is to use a supply
      > that
      > > doesn't provide too high a voltage, but that isn't a problem with
      > > switching power supplies.

      > > volt supply. I have a 5 volt "wall wart" which says it is a "switching
      > power
      > > supply". Can I use it for the ESS?

    • Henrik Olsson
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 18, 2014
        Hi Eric,
        If you really do have electrical interference feeding back into the PC locking it up or making it reboot then an Ethernet Smoothstepper might help preventing the PC from doing that. However, the electrical interference previously messing with the PC might now mess with the Smoothstepper instead, possibly making IT misbehave - instead of the PC.

        I'm not saying this IS what's going to happen but you need to consider it. If it doesn't run reliably with the PC and the issue isn't related to the PC itself then throwing a Smoothstepper at it probably (probably) won't help.

        After 5 years of messing about, spending a couple of weeks (if that's what it takes) rewiring it properly sounds like a good investment of time to me. Run power wires separate from signal wires, don't daisychain ground/common connections, keep it nice and tidy.

        /Henrik.

        17 mars 2014, ehorton@... skrev:

        Hello Andy

        I should have said that this has been an on going project for the last 5 years. I can never get the mill to run for more than a few minutes and then i get frustrated and leave it for several months at a time. Right now I have a reliable computer that will can Mach 3 with a simulated axis exercise program. My goal is 1 week without the computer locking up. Right now when the PP ports are connected and mill powered I get maybe 5 to 10 minutes run time and computer is either locked up or has rebooted it self. I think this is feedback thru the PP ports. By isolating the computer from the mill electrionics and letting the ESS do the all the motion control in theroy this should get rid of the feedback problem. I dont want to spend weeks being Tim the toolman Taylor and rewire the darn thing but maybe thats where I need to go.

        Eric