Ethernet Smooth Stepper

  • nc_karl
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 22, 2013
      I just received my Ethernet smooth stepper. I see it requires a 5 volt supply. I have a 5 volt "wall wart" which says it is a "switching power supply". Can I use it for the ESS?

      Karl
    • Henrik Olsson
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 18, 2014
        Hi Eric,
        If you really do have electrical interference feeding back into the PC locking it up or making it reboot then an Ethernet Smoothstepper might help preventing the PC from doing that. However, the electrical interference previously messing with the PC might now mess with the Smoothstepper instead, possibly making IT misbehave - instead of the PC.

        I'm not saying this IS what's going to happen but you need to consider it. If it doesn't run reliably with the PC and the issue isn't related to the PC itself then throwing a Smoothstepper at it probably (probably) won't help.

        After 5 years of messing about, spending a couple of weeks (if that's what it takes) rewiring it properly sounds like a good investment of time to me. Run power wires separate from signal wires, don't daisychain ground/common connections, keep it nice and tidy.

        /Henrik.

        17 mars 2014, ehorton@... skrev:

        Hello Andy

        I should have said that this has been an on going project for the last 5 years. I can never get the mill to run for more than a few minutes and then i get frustrated and leave it for several months at a time. Right now I have a reliable computer that will can Mach 3 with a simulated axis exercise program. My goal is 1 week without the computer locking up. Right now when the PP ports are connected and mill powered I get maybe 5 to 10 minutes run time and computer is either locked up or has rebooted it self. I think this is feedback thru the PP ports. By isolating the computer from the mill electrionics and letting the ESS do the all the motion control in theroy this should get rid of the feedback problem. I dont want to spend weeks being Tim the toolman Taylor and rewire the darn thing but maybe thats where I need to go.

        Eric