Z losing steps - how to diagnose / identify the root cause?

  • composite_airplane_pilot
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013
      I've posted here before.

      My machine is a kit build, Mach3 talking to a SmoothStepper, which talks to a Gecko 540, which talks to Nema 23 motors (Keling KL23H2100-35-4B model), which turn ball screws on all axis.

      This machine now has about 1,000 hours on it so it's not exactly new any more.

      Things went great for a while, especially after adding the smooth stepper!!

      Recently, I was surfacing the table with a shallow cut, and it was having no problems, when the fault light went on, on the Gecko 540.

      Mach3 didn't see it because of the SmoothStepper in between but I stopped the job. There was no damage that I could observe. Nothing ran into anything. There was no obvious cause for the fault on the Gecko.

      I cycled the Gecko and everything came back ok. I restarted the surface job and it completed satisfactorily.

      But on 3D jobs since then the Z axis gets seriously lost, over and over.

      I'm wondering how to diagnose the location of the failure.

      Ideas?

      thanks