Re: [mach1mach2cnc] the lowdown on 1/2 or 1/4 step, mach3 and hobby cnc seem to disagree.

  • notoneleft
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2013
      1/8 microstepping should give you the best balance of smoothness and torque.
      But your problem might be resonance, which is very common on HobbyCNC, Xylotex, and similar drives. There's an excellent thread at CNC Zone titled "My Take on a Stepper Damper" that shows how to make them. Dampers can easily double performance on some machines, and are fairly easy to make.