CNC Ginder - new build

  • cnc sales
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hi guys..

      I just got notified my new 10cm thick granite surface plate+bunch of
      tools has arrived to Spain and will deliver 180 kg of goods tomorrow !
      I now need to get started making the frame design, and hooking up the
      spindle.

      I am making the grinder in 2(3) parts.
      A wall-fixed frame, that will support the 8" industrial grinder I am
      using as a spindle.
      The spindle will hang from the normal mounting holes, just like it was
      bolted underneath a table.
      The table will be a 3 cm granite table I am looking for.

      The table will be overconstrained, by a frame as rigid as I can make,
      and use linear bearings to slide up and down.
      I envision about 70 cm vertical movement, and maybe 140 cm long linear
      slides.
      This would allow 70 cm height for the mount, planned a 2 triangles or a
      box.

      ? Why so much ?
      Because I can use the frame for other uses, and the incremental cost is
      much lower than making a separate one.
      The incremental cost going from the needed 40 cm to 70 cm is maybe 50EUR.
      The vertical beams will likely be 60x60x1200 mm solid tool steel pieces.
      At 28 kg/m, these should be about 40 kg each.

      The grinder table will be a 3 cm thick granite table, 100 x 30 cm.
      Underneath will be 2 steel ways, 30x80 mm, 100 cm long, glued to the
      underside of the table.
      The steel ways will support the 2 sets of linear guides, 3 guides (for 2
      separate movements) on each 3x8x100 block.
      A total of 2 moving elements on each track, and 6 linear blocks in total.
      The secondary block will be for robot autoloader, cmm, and auxiliary
      functions.
      All loads go to the steel parts. The granite table just "hangs" there.
      Glued with industrial epoxy (need to find some in Spain).

      The surface plate will be suspended from the main frame by a tool steel
      plate and a steel framework.
      I plan to use 35 mm HIWIN blocks. Maybe about 24 in total.
      And around 25-32 mm ballscrews, about 6 in total.

      The goal is to finish with a machine than can take a piece from a rack,
      and finish grind it, and put it back in a rack.
      And measure it using the CMM functions, and then laser mark it with the
      secondary part.
      Totally automatic.
      Hopefully, the machine can make spindles, optical tables, precision
      washers for preloading bearings, collet chucks, etc.

      The surface plates will be a machine jig- the only way I can build to a
      sufficiently accurate framework.
      I plan to glue the pieces together, using epoxy, then drill and bolt
      afterwards. This will allow a stress free environment, unlike welding.

      The bigger surface plate is a grade A, guaranteed to 2 microns,
      645x400x100 mm piece.
      I will fix 2 separate sets of 1 micron DROs with glass scales to the
      tools, to use as a CMM.
      I hope to integrate the scales to Mach3 cnc sw.

      I hope to finish within 2 months, working mostly full time.
      Movement will be with AC brushless servos.
      I import all components myself, and this will be a test case and sample.

      I will show a rendering of the 3D model, and photos as work progresses.
      Estimates are about 200 kg for the machine, and 80 kg for the surface
      plate.
      I am also thinking about filling the top and bottom with fine sand, that
      will be excellent for reducing any vibrations.
      This is also why the granite plates are so good.
      Just a box on top and bottom, filled with sand.

      Comments are welcome..

      --
      -hanermo

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
        Model aeroplane shops carry bulk epoxy. Thin stuff. Thick stuff . Fast. Slow stuff. Maybe not the best source for you but samples might be useful. Then you could find the supplier. Regards Dave k

      • Boman33
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
          Hi Hanermo,

          It sounds like we are on parallel paths!! For a long time I have been
          frustrated with the baby size of my Taig CNC mill and I been planning to
          build a bigger mill. Three years ago I did a 3-D model but got too busy and
          as usual work is interfering with my hobbies.

          A long time ago I obtained a scrapped CMM with a 900 x 600 x 100 high
          precision surface plate top. This Sunday I finally got fed up, rented a
          truck and moved it from the garage to my workshop, a total move of about 50
          meters. I needed a lift gate truck since it weighs over 500 kg with the big
          cast iron base.

          I also have heavy duty linear slides with servo motors that I will be using.
          I have planned to get another surface plate and cut it length-wise in half
          and then one of the long pieces in half again. The two short ones will be
          the pillars and the long one the bridge across.

          I plan to use a high-speed spindle with ER-20 collets.

          I added three pictures in the album "Bertho's Photos".

          I am looking forward to see your progress and design.

          Bertho