Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Motion controller for Mach-4

  • cnc sales
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
      No Benny Galil doe NOT have a very comprehensive documentation FOR MACH3.

      There is NO info on threading, what is possible, indexed servo spindles,
      swapaxis() support, etc etc etc.
      There is NO info on the plugins, what features are done, working and not.

      The galil hw is probably very good.
      However, unfortunately, there is NO INFO re: anything advanced AS
      RELATES TO MACH3.

      Benny, what is the status re: lathe threading ?
      Which models of Galil hw is supported ?
      ? With step/dir interfaces for compatibility and cheap, easy
      availability of numerous servos at low cost ?
      TO what MHz ?
      Using an indexed(servo) spindle ?
      Is swpaaxis supported ? Sure?
      Can VB be used to change accelerations parameters on the fly like with
      the PP (when swapping active spindles in multi-spindle configs) ?
      Is the rear toolpost supported and how ?
      What about offsets for rear toolpost ?
      Does the screw mapping feature work with galil hw ?
      How is homing handled ?
      Can encoders be added ? How many at what speed ?
      How many mpgs ? At what speed ? Does it WORK ?

      Is the spindle tuning nonstandard like with the SS or through a galil
      specific hw ?

      NONE of the above are easily found out with galil hw.
      Simply, there is NO INFO re galil stuff as relates to mach3.

      We , the users, want to BUY something with a list of features that work.

      best hanermo

      > Il correct you slightly there. Galil does have a very comprehensive
      > web database and documentation of all it's controls on their website.
      > I've done lots of galil conversions with mach3.
      >
      > Also you missed out one of the best supported controllers " kflop"
      > Which can be made to do more than the galil due to its 2 way
      > conversation plugin .

    • bennyattwell
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
        as the original thread starter asked re milling machine not lathe?
        lathe threading isnt supported however kenny has it working on his (ive seen the videos)
        what ive found so far is i can do anything i want on a mill/ router etc with galil.
        brian has already mentioned he has galil running with mach4 which is nice!
        there are a few tiny bugs in the galil plugin still , which i reported a few weeks ago. im sure as always these will be ironed out when kenny/smurph get chance.
        the thing to remember is these guys have written the plugin because they can- not to sell their hardware!!!
        all answers to your questions are available on the artsoft forum under galil. anything thats not there just ask and you get the right answer usually!

        i would be interested to see what the centipede can do if you can post some video links etc would be nice to real working machines.

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, cnc sales wrote:

        > No Benny Galil doe NOT have a very comprehensive documentation FOR MACH3.
        >
        > There is NO info on threading, what is possible, indexed servo spindles,
        > swapaxis() support, etc etc etc.
        > There is NO info on the plugins, what features are done, working and not.
        >
        > The galil hw is probably very good.
        > However, unfortunately, there is NO INFO re: anything advanced AS
        > RELATES TO MACH3.
        >
        > Benny, what is the status re: lathe threading ?
        > Which models of Galil hw is supported ?
        > ? With step/dir interfaces for compatibility and cheap, easy
        > availability of numerous servos at low cost ?
        > TO what MHz ?
        > Using an indexed(servo) spindle ?
        > Is swpaaxis supported ? Sure?
        > Can VB be used to change accelerations parameters on the fly like with
        > the PP (when swapping active spindles in multi-spindle configs) ?
        > Is the rear toolpost supported and how ?
        > What about offsets for rear toolpost ?
        > Does the screw mapping feature work with galil hw ?
        > How is homing handled ?
        > Can encoders be added ? How many at what speed ?
        > How many mpgs ? At what speed ? Does it WORK ?
        >
        > Is the spindle tuning nonstandard like with the SS or through a galil
        > specific hw ?
        >
        > NONE of the above are easily found out with galil hw.
        > Simply, there is NO INFO re galil stuff as relates to mach3.
        >
        > We , the users, want to BUY something with a list of features that work.
        >
        > best hanermo
        >

        > > Il correct you slightly there. Galil does have a very comprehensive
        > > web database and documentation of all it's controls on their website.
        > > I've done lots of galil conversions with mach3.
        > >
        > > Also you missed out one of the best supported controllers " kflop"
        > > Which can be made to do more than the galil due to its 2 way
        > > conversation plugin .

      • cnc sales
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
          BENNY,
          I apologise If I came across as negative.
          I did not mean to, and Your and others contributions are much appreciated.

          Nevertheless, I cannot or could no find the answers to these questions
          from anywhere.
          As a user with about 10 motion control devices, 4 machines, and 9 years
          (with heavy, professional) experience, I doubt that it could be said it
          is "easily available".

          There are at least;
          DSPMC
          KFROG
          Smoothstepper
          Centipede

          Popular motion control solutions.

          > as the original thread starter asked re milling machine not lathe?
          > lathe threading isnt supported however kenny has it working on his
          > (ive seen the videos)

          So, again, yes, but but not but ..
          ? rigid tapping on mill ? With what hw ? Supporting a 10.000 count/rev
          spndle ie servo spindle ?
          Ie will it run at 1 Mhz or 2 Mhz ?

          Swapaxis ? Really ?
          Multiple MPGs ¿ Really ¿

          > what ive found so far is i can do anything i want on a mill/ router
          > etc with galil.

          Agreed .. if you just want lots of io and 3 axis movement.

          > brian has already mentioned he has galil running with mach4 which is nice!

          Nice !

          > there are a few tiny bugs in the galil plugin still , which i reported
          > a few weeks ago. im sure as always these will be ironed out when
          > kenny/smurph get chance.

          ..

          > the thing to remember is these guys have written the plugin because
          > they can- not to sell their hardware!!!

          I agree completely.
          And, like I said, the hw is good, by all reports.

          The problem is lack of inco re: what *really* works, and at what cost.

          > all answers to your questions are available on the artsoft forum under
          > galil. anything thats not there just ask and you get the right answer
          > usually!
          >

          > i would be interested to see what the centipede can do if you can post
          > some video links etc would be nice to real working machines.

          I will try to get some videos done, soon.
          I will be ordering multiple mpgs and encoders and will hook them up the
          the Centipede and the Pokeys when they arrive.

        • Boman33
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
            Thanks for all the feedback on selecting a motion controller.

            I got to get my old system running in the meantime but I have been reading
            the suggestions.

            The Kflop SnapAmp and the Kanalog I-O board looks very interesting.

            I like the idea of the 4-brush motor amp and it is from the same supplier as
            the controller. It is always a pain to deal with different suppliers in one
            common system.

            Is there anything similar that I should be comparing to as a package? The
            total cost for that package comes to $900.

            As for the question about my system, I am assembling a CNC mill from
            scratch. I have a variety of slides and servo motors laying around.

            TIA,

            Bertho

            From: bennyattwell Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 17:58

            Il correct you slightly there. Galil does have a very comprehensive web
            database and documentation of all it's controls on their website.
            I've done lots of galil conversions with mach3.

            Also you missed out one of the best supported controllers " kflop"
            Which can be made to do more than the galil due to its 2 way conversation
            plugin .

            The original thread writer didn't mention what motors and feedback system
            was currently fitted to his machine. Which would help if he really does want
            advice etc .

          • wcarrothers@ameritech.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
              I asked about mach4 with the k and the plug in has not been released yet. But I can say, I have a kflop and kanalog. And hands down I would buy another one in a second, or rather I should say for the future I would be doing all my systems with a kflop interface controller with out a doubt.

              B.