Re: Other Software

  • Lindy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2013
      Personally, I use Autocad to draw, V-carve to to cam and mach 3 to cut. A good affordable cad substitute is Draftsight. From Deausalt Industries who bring you Solid Works. Draftsight is a free download.

      A recent issue that has crept up, noise in the signal switch lines. Make sure your home and limit switch wires are sheilded.

      Lindy in St. Paul, Minnesota

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "chuck" wrote:

      > just a quick explanation that may help.
      > cad is the prg you do the drawing in
      > cam is the prg that converts the cad into g-code
      > mach 3 is the prg that takes g-code and makes the machine move.
      > you can use some sample g-code files to start cutting with only after you get mach3 set up and working with the router.
      >
      > Chuck

    • Paul J. Ste. Marie
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2013
        On 1/3/2013 2:05 PM, John Best wrote:
        > It's tedious, but you can also set up a spreadsheet to calculate passes and
        > make the G-Code, then cut and paste the code into a file.
        > John B

        The flip side is that you can control things like ramp down, entry/exit
        moves, etc, to your satisfaction. For some reason, MeshCAM generates a
        lot of straight plunges for operations where it could easily ramp down
        and put a lot less stress on your cutter.