PCB as heated build bed

  • Kevin Impson
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hi Everyone,

      I have been looking and buying components for a 3D printer.

      I have searched through Wiki's, forum's, blog's and more to no avail so I come to you all.

      I want to etch a heater onto a 12x8 inch PCB for use as build beds for my 3D printer.

      The 3D printer's production space is 20x12x12 inches.

      I'm using ABS only. I am also heating the build space in the printer so as to reduce the bow string effect.

      Would anybody have an idea as to how to tackle this small problem?

      Any idea is welcome, please.

      Thank you in advance.

      Best Regards,

      Kevin I.

    • johntech
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
        Kevin

        Check here

        http://blog.makezine.com/volume/make-ultimate-guide-to-3d-printing/

        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
          Are you planning to use mach 3 ? If you do, there is plugin that can be used to run mach 3 as 3d printer software.

          Fortino

          Sent from my iPad

          On 5 Des 2012, at 16:06, "johntech" <beebear@...> wrote:

          > Kevin
          >
          > Check here
          >
          > http://blog.makezine.com/volume/make-ultimate-guide-to-3d-printing/
          >
          > John

        • william_mcbride_sr
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
            they make silicone heating pads that can be applied to the bottom of a reptile aquarium. something like that should work. im not sure how well etching a heater onto a pcb would work.
            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, fortino tan <fortino_tan@...> wrote:

            > Are you planning to use mach 3 ? If you do, there is plugin that can be used to run mach 3 as 3d printer software.
            >
            > Fortino
            >
            > Sent from my iPad
            >
            > On 5 Des 2012, at 16:06, "johntech" <beebear@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Kevin
            > >
            > > Check here
            > >
            > > http://blog.makezine.com/volume/make-ultimate-guide-to-3d-printing/
            > >
            > > John

          • Gary Crowell
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
              You can look at the one used for the MakerBot Replicator here:
              http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16061

              It runs at 24V and when I measured mine it was about 4-5 Ohms.

              I've been thinking about a larger printer and was considering one of the
              flexible heat sheets from McMaster-Carr:
              http://www.mcmaster.com/#35765K363 (12x12", 720Watts)

              Gary

              On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Kevin Impson <internetgiest@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I have been looking and buying components for a 3D printer.
              >
              > I have searched through Wiki's, forum's, blog's and more to no avail so I
              > come to you all.
              >
              > I want to etch a heater onto a 12x8 inch PCB for use as build beds for my
              > 3D printer.
              >
              > The 3D printer's production space is 20x12x12 inches.
              >
              > I'm using ABS only. I am also heating the build space in the printer so as
              > to reduce the bow string effect.
              >
              > Would anybody have an idea as to how to tackle this small problem?
              >
              > Any idea is welcome, please.
              >
              > Thank you in advance.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              >
              > Kevin I.

            • Glenn Davina
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
                Here is one fairly reasonable.

                http://store.qu-bd.com/category.php?id_category=19

                Glenn

                On Dec 5, 2012, at 1:36 PM, Gary Crowell wrote:

                > You can look at the one used for the MakerBot Replicator here:
                > http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16061
                >
                > It runs at 24V and when I measured mine it was about 4-5 Ohms.
                >
                > I've been thinking about a larger printer and was considering one of the
                > flexible heat sheets from McMaster-Carr:
                > http://www.mcmaster.com/#35765K363 (12x12", 720Watts)
                >
                > Gary
                >

                > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Kevin Impson <internetgiest@...>wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> Hi Everyone,
                >>
                >> I have been looking and buying components for a 3D printer.
                >>
                >> I have searched through Wiki's, forum's, blog's and more to no avail so I
                >> come to you all.
                >>
                >> I want to etch a heater onto a 12x8 inch PCB for use as build beds for my
                >> 3D printer.
                >>
                >> The 3D printer's production space is 20x12x12 inches.
                >>
                >> I'm using ABS only. I am also heating the build space in the printer so as
                >> to reduce the bow string effect.
                >>
                >> Would anybody have an idea as to how to tackle this small problem?
                >>
                >> Any idea is welcome, please.
                >>
                >> Thank you in advance.
                >>
                >> Best Regards,
                >>
                >> Kevin I.

                > --

              • markotime
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                  Those are fine, but of inconsistent thickness. A nicer, though more expensive one, can be found at seemecnc.com, the makers of the H-1 printer. Velleman thermostat kit (BGMicro.com) works well for
                  under 10.00

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Davina <davina5@...> wrote:

                  > Here is one fairly reasonable.
                  >
                  > http://store.qu-bd.com/category.php?id_category=19
                  >
                  > Glenn
                  >

                  > On Dec 5, 2012, at 1:36 PM, Gary Crowell wrote:
                  >
                  > > You can look at the one used for the MakerBot Replicator here:
                  > > http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16061
                  > >
                  > > It runs at 24V and when I measured mine it was about 4-5 Ohms.
                  > >
                  > > I've been thinking about a larger printer and was considering one of the
                  > > flexible heat sheets from McMaster-Carr:
                  > > http://www.mcmaster.com/#35765K363 (12x12", 720Watts)
                  > >
                  > > Gary
                  > >

                  > > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Kevin Impson <internetgiest@...>wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> **
                  > >>

                  > >> Hi Everyone,
                  > >>
                  > >> I have been looking and buying components for a 3D printer.
                  > >>
                  > >> I have searched through Wiki's, forum's, blog's and more to no avail so I
                  > >> come to you all.
                  > >>
                  > >> I want to etch a heater onto a 12x8 inch PCB for use as build beds for my
                  > >> 3D printer.
                  > >>
                  > >> The 3D printer's production space is 20x12x12 inches.
                  > >>
                  > >> I'm using ABS only. I am also heating the build space in the printer so as
                  > >> to reduce the bow string effect.
                  > >>
                  > >> Would anybody have an idea as to how to tackle this small problem?
                  > >>
                  > >> Any idea is welcome, please.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thank you in advance.
                  > >>
                  > >> Best Regards,
                  > >>
                  > >> Kevin I.

                  > > --

                • Glenn Davina
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                    Let me qualify this first, I don't have any realtionship with the company just bought them because they were cheap.

                    You are correct I measured the two I have here, making a printer for a friend as well.
                    They vary .07mm in thickness on the one and .03mm on the other, measured 3 places around the edge on each side.

                  • wildideas1@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
                      I have the H1 original and have been printing w/abs and use the heatbed from seemecnc and the velleman temp kit. I am getting a 12x12 heatbed from q_u-bd to build another printer after holidays for larger volume. Nothing wrong with current setup I've been running it 10hrs day last week and half building custom checkers for my son in military for xmass. I use mach3 for printer and my mini mill.
                      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 2012
                        You might try here too.

                        http://store.qu-bd.com/category.php?id_category=19

                        Sent from my iPhone

                      • seanzsmith@rocketmail.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                          are you using ABS plastic? I see the new bots are using PLA Filament claiming 100 microns layers. They also clain the PLA need less heat? I want to build a 3D printer soon.