Installed PCI crd for 2nd Parallel Port

  • Chuck Crouch
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
      I am installing a breakout board as a companion to my HobbyCNC driver board. I did this to increase the number of inputs available to Mach. I installed a Rosewill PCI card with 2 parallel ports. WindowsXP installed the card without issue. The card populated device manager as LPT2/LPT3. However, the resource of the card is BC00 - BC07 or B800 - B807. LPT1 resource = 0378. LPT1 resource matches the port settings in Mach. The original port settings for LPT2 in Mach were 0278. XP will not allow the resource settings of the new port(s) to be changed. They are both grayed. If I enter BC00 in port 2, Mach will not accept this value. If I enter it as 0xBC00, Mach sets the value as 0xb. Regardless of which resource I enter, all are set to 0xb.
      By my thinking, if the value is set correctly and Mach recognizes the port, the diagnostics screen should update and display I/O pins status port 1 and port 2. Is this correct? If no, how do I know Mach recognized the port?
    • Lester Caine
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
        Chuck Crouch wrote:
        > I am installing a breakout board as a companion to my HobbyCNC driver board. I did this to increase the number of inputs available to Mach. I installed a Rosewill PCI card with 2 parallel ports. WindowsXP installed the card without issue. The card populated device manager as LPT2/LPT3. However, the resource of the card is BC00 - BC07 or B800 - B807. LPT1 resource = 0378. LPT1 resource matches the port settings in Mach. The original port settings for LPT2 in Mach were 0278. XP will not allow the resource settings of the new port(s) to be changed. They are both grayed. If I enter BC00 in port 2, Mach will not accept this value. If I enter it as 0xBC00, Mach sets the value as 0xb. Regardless of which resource I enter, all are set to 0xb.
        > By my thinking, if the value is set correctly and Mach recognizes the port, the diagnostics screen should update and display I/O pins status port 1 and port 2. Is this correct? If no, how do I know Mach recognized the port?

        Well I've just gone out and entered 0xBC00 and it has saved as 0xbc00 even after
        closing ... The new Jetway cases arrive tomorrow, and then I will be able to
        actually plug in a card ;) But I've used settings up there several times now
        without a problem ...

        --
        Lester Caine - G8HFL
        -----------------------------
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
          mine accepts 0xbc0 just fine. You area entering zero x b c zero correct?

          Richard

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
            Not sure what I did wrong intially. After sending this to the group I tried once more before leaving for work. I typed just as you have it Richard and it accepted it just fine. I also see how the diagnostics screen updates for the additional port. We are locked and loaded.
            Thanks to all. This has to be the best group on the net.
            Thanks again.

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rwskinner@...> wrote:

            > mine accepts 0xbc0 just fine. You area entering zero x b c zero correct?
            >
            > Richard

          • Andy Wander
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
              You are entering "zeros" and not "ohs", correct?

              Andy Wander

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                0xbc00 and 0xBC00 are the same hexidecimal number. The case is irrelavent.

                Jacob
                pontech.com
                On Aug 5, 2012 6:54 AM, "Lester Caine" <lester@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Chuck Crouch wrote:
                > > I am installing a breakout board as a companion to my HobbyCNC driver
                > board. I did this to increase the number of inputs available to Mach. I
                > installed a Rosewill PCI card with 2 parallel ports. WindowsXP installed
                > the card without issue. The card populated device manager as LPT2/LPT3.
                > However, the resource of the card is BC00 - BC07 or B800 - B807. LPT1
                > resource = 0378. LPT1 resource matches the port settings in Mach. The
                > original port settings for LPT2 in Mach were 0278. XP will not allow the
                > resource settings of the new port(s) to be changed. They are both grayed.
                > If I enter BC00 in port 2, Mach will not accept this value. If I enter it
                > as 0xBC00, Mach sets the value as 0xb. Regardless of which resource I
                > enter, all are set to 0xb.
                > > By my thinking, if the value is set correctly and Mach recognizes the
                > port, the diagnostics screen should update and display I/O pins status port
                > 1 and port 2. Is this correct? If no, how do I know Mach recognized the
                > port?
                >
                > Well I've just gone out and entered 0xBC00 and it has saved as 0xbc00 even
                > after
                > closing ... The new Jetway cases arrive tomorrow, and then I will be able
                > actually plug in a card ;) But I've used settings up there several times
                > now
                > without a problem ...
                >
                > --
                > Lester Caine - G8HFL
                > -----------------------------
                > Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
                > Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk

              • Andy Wander
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                  Did someone say the case was relevant?

                  Andy Wander

                  0xbc00 and 0xBC00 are the same hexidecimal number. The case is irrelavent.

                  Jacob
                  pontech.com
                  On Aug 5, 2012 6:54 AM, "Lester Caine" <lester@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Chuck Crouch wrote:
                  > > I am installing a breakout board as a companion to my HobbyCNC driver
                  > board. I did this to increase the number of inputs available to Mach. I
                  > installed a Rosewill PCI card with 2 parallel ports. WindowsXP installed
                  > the card without issue. The card populated device manager as LPT2/LPT3.
                  > However, the resource of the card is BC00 - BC07 or B800 - B807. LPT1
                  > resource = 0378. LPT1 resource matches the port settings in Mach. The
                  > original port settings for LPT2 in Mach were 0278. XP will not allow the
                  > resource settings of the new port(s) to be changed. They are both grayed.
                  > If I enter BC00 in port 2, Mach will not accept this value. If I enter it
                  > as 0xBC00, Mach sets the value as 0xb. Regardless of which resource I
                  > enter, all are set to 0xb.
                  > > By my thinking, if the value is set correctly and Mach recognizes the
                  > port, the diagnostics screen should update and display I/O pins status port
                  > 1 and port 2. Is this correct? If no, how do I know Mach recognized the
                  > port?
                  >
                  > Well I've just gone out and entered 0xBC00 and it has saved as 0xbc00 even
                  > after
                  > closing ... The new Jetway cases arrive tomorrow, and then I will be able
                  > actually plug in a card ;) But I've used settings up there several times
                  > now
                  > without a problem ...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Lester Caine - G8HFL
                  > -----------------------------
                  > Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
                  > Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk

                • FocusKnobs
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                    Yes

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                      I don't think so.

                      BUT, I see that a lot of people are writing "oh, ex, bee, cee, oh, oh", which will NOT work.

                      It needs to be "zero, ex, bee, cee, zero, zero"

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                        FocusKnobs wrote:
                        > Yes
                        >
                        > Did someone say the case was relevant?

                        No I didn't ...
                        I simply pointed out that having entered 0xBC00 that it was saved and then
                        displayed as 0xbc00 ... I'm not seeing the problem reported ...

                        --
                        Lester Caine - G8HFL