Dedicated CNC controller com

  • maurosmartinsmsm
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
      Hello to all!

      I'm constantly traveling between my home and workplace and so I need to use a Laptop.

      Though, this option is limiting my CNC usage as there isn't parallel port on new models and with many things running on the PC the cnc wouldn't be very accurate!

      So my question to you is, is there a dedicated USB controller compatible with MACH3 that controls the motors?

      if so, what would be the most cost effective solution, in other words what would have the best price/quality/features relation?

      Best regards, Mauro.
    • Henrik Olsson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
        Hi,
        A couple of options:
        * Smoothstepper from Warp9 (step/direction output). USB or Ethernet
        versions available.
        * KFlop from Dynomotion (step/direction or analog (with addon card)) -
        USB.
        * DSPMC (analog output) from VitalSystems - Ethernet.
        * HiCON (step and direction output) from VitalSystems - Ethernet.

        I'm sure there are others as well but none that springs to mind
        currently.

        I'll leave it to you to decide which is the most cost effective for you
        but one alternative to consider, if the PC and LPT-port gives you
        acceptable performance, is to simply get a standalone computer and use
        that for your CNC-machine. A refurbished machine from EBAY or whatever
        might actually be cheaper than an external motion controller in the end.

        /Henrik.

        On 5 jul 2012 12:23 "maurosmartinsmsm" <maurosmartins@...> wrote:

        > Hello to all!
        >
        > I'm constantly traveling between my home and workplace and so I need
        > to use a Laptop.
        >
        > Though, this option is limiting my CNC usage as there isn't parallel
        > port on new models and with many things running on the PC the cnc
        > wouldn't be very accurate!
        >
        > So my question to you is, is there a dedicated USB controller
        > compatible with MACH3 that controls the motors?
        >
        > if so, what would be the most cost effective solution, in other words
        > what would have the best price/quality/features relation?
        >
        > Best regards, Mauro.

      • Bob Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
          Mauro,

          I use the USB board from www.warp9td.com.

          I carry them and use them in almost all of my control boxes.

          Bob Campbell

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
            You are correct in that laptops generally don't work well with the parallel
            port driver. All of the power savings stuff built into the laptop interferes
            with the precise timing needed. With an external motion controller the
            precise timing is generated by the external hardware. You will likely need
            to configure the laptop properly to get the best results. This usually
            involves setting up the power profile to keep the hard drive from spinning
            down, etc.

            I've sold/used hundreds of the USB SmoothSteppers with very good success but
            have had a few customers have issue with the USB signal getting swamped with
            noise. Since the Ethernet SmoothStepper has been out for close to a year now
            and has proven to be very immune to noise related problems I like to suggest
            if for new installations.

            To make it easy to add a SmoothStepper to an existing machine I came up with
            a 'SmoothStepper in a Can' a few years ago. They are in a heavy duty
            aluminum enclosure with a built in 5V power supply and can pass power
            through to smaller machines.

            http://www.soigeneris.com/SSENC_1_SmoothStepper_System-details.aspx

            http://www.soigeneris.com/SSENC_2_Ethernet_SmoothStepper_System-details.aspx

            Jeff Birt

            Soigeneris.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
              Hi!

              You can check PoKeys. They are avaiable as USB and as Ethernet versions: http://www.poscope.com/pokeys-io-devices.html
              Mach plugin is avaiable for download. Instalation is straightforward.