Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Speeds and Feeds

  • Steve Blackmore
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2012
      On Thu, 31 May 2012 23:20:45 -0700, you wrote:

      >Any suggestions when cutting MDF for depth of cut and speed for a 1/4"
      >spiral router bit turning about 20,000 RPM?
      >
      >I've been using 30 IPM and 1/8" deep cuts but I'm wondering what others
      >are using for this material.

      I cut MDF at 150 ipm with 1/4 inch carbide at 24000 and 1/8 depth of cut
      and that is probably a bit slow too.

      30 ipm is much too slow - tool life suffers and you may also get some
      burning.

      Steve Blackmore
      --
    • Dr Mark Vaughan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2012
        The biggest issue is if too fast you raise a big burr, or may split the
        material, and bigger cutters clearteh swarf and heat better. In MDF with an
        external veneer finish so it’s quite dense, I have run a 20mm cutter at
        4000RPM (not really fast enough) and at 4 meters / minute 25mm deep with a
        10mm cut width without any problems. An experiment to see how hard we could
        push the mill.

        Have also run it with smaller cutters ¼ inch on the router, much higher RPM,
        which was not capable of the same feed rates, here upping the RPM gave a
        better finish (less load and material removed per pass of the cutter tooth)
        but it still needed a heavy feed to reduce the heat build up, so cuts had to
        be much shallower. This machine uses air cooling. I often get asked to cut
        complex shaped holes in MDF for fancy panel mounts, which we usually do on
        the router.

        Seems the easiest way is to start with a good spindle speed, shallow cut but
        comparatively hi feed rate, then modify that. You will smell any burn long
        before it leaves a mark on the work, usually with enough time to adjust the
        spindle or feed over rides.

        Regs Mark

        Any suggestions when cutting MDF for depth of cut and speed for a 1/4"
        spiral router bit turning about 20,000 RPM?

        I've been using 30 IPM and 1/8" deep cuts but I'm wondering what others
        are using for this material.

        Thanks

        John Dammeyer

        "ELS! The Solution"