Re: hardware suggestion

  • Matevž Bošnak
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 11:23 PM
      Hi, Ralph

      Take a look at our PoKeys56U or PoKeys56E devices (www.poscope.com).
      With pulse engine activated, you will get an external motion controller on
      either usb or ethernet.
      There is a Mach3 plugin available as one possibility and an extensive
      communication library for the case of writing your own control application.

      Best regards,
      Matevž, PoLabs

    • rhtuttle2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "John Dammeyer" <johnd@...> wrote:

        > You haven't said why it would have to be run by MACH3. Since MACH3 can
        > only run a parallel port or USB your costs are no where near cheap if you
        > don't have a parallel port.
        >
        > If you are interested in running a single axis for a simple hobby
        > application then a project like the ELS may work for you.
        >
        > With an LCD display, micro-stepping driver, keypad and the ability to make
        > it move from A to B and stop it may just work for you.
        >
        > John Dammeyer
        >
        > "ELS! The Solution"
        > Automation Artisans Inc.
        > http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/
        > Ph. 1 250 544 4950
        >

        > > Can be run by Mach
        > > single axis
        > > small motor (lift 6oz)
        > > very slow/fine/smooth control (I can gear it down)
        > > cheap (hobby application)
        > > run by laptop with no PP
        > >
        > > Out of the question?
        > >
        > > TIA
        > >
        > > RT

        I would like to use Mach because I am familiar with the COM interface and can easily develop a GUI that would run the task envisioned.

        The task entails lowering a bamboo rod section into a tube of varnish to various levels, noting that level over a dozen spots, and then withdrawing the rod to each of those levels, pausing and then continuing. Each rod is different and needs visual setup. There can be no jerkiness in the withdrawal or there will be steps in the varnish coat.

        I currently use a dc motor with a pot and have to sit and stop manually. This take about 45 minutes and would be great if I could automate it. I had hoped that there would be a single box, controller and motor that could be had for a reasonable price(<$100).

        I am unfamiliar with "ELS" project and its capabilites.
      • John Dammeyer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
          Hi,

          The ELS (Electronic Lead Screw) was designed for people who didn't want a
          full blown dual axis system with a PC just to cut the occasional metric or
          imperial thread on their lathe. The project, like all projects seem to,
          expanded into control of two axis with full automatic threading and
          tapering.

          The ELS cannot quite do what you want with multiple stopping points. It
          has jog buttons and can be told to move to a position at a specific speed.
          It can be told to move back to the starting position automatically too.
          And it has an MPG knob for tweaking position.

          But it would require custom firmware or control through the serial port to
          make it move to a number of specific locations.

          Too bad.

          John Dammeyer