RE: [mach1mach2cnc] need help with my servo motor

  • Dr Mark Vaughan
    Message 1 of 22 , May 6, 2012
      Swapping parts is usually the best way

      Let us know how you get on.

      Regs Mark

      From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Stan
      Sent: 06 May 2012 15:32
      To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mach1mach2cnc] need help with my servo motor

      only movement in one direction and only X axis
      replacing computer to see if that helps
      checked the encoder, it looks like, dusted it off just in case it was
      the junk on the wheel, wheel is solid and encoder is mounted directly to
      motor.
      checked coupling
      checked for loose wiring
      will start swapping parts as soon as I have the replacement computer
      ready to go

      On 5/3/2012 12:00 AM, Dr Mark Vaughan wrote:

      > Couple of possibilities spring to mind because it occurs with a direction
      > change.
      >
      > The direction signal may be noisy in one state, so in good direction
      > signal
      > is OK, but in bad direction signal is just on the 1 to 0 logic state and
      > dithering between them so when it takes a step in one direction, it also
      > gets one in the other direction.
      >
      > The encoder I expect will have a flexible coupling, those spiral cut
      > tend to
      > break, when rotated in one direction the broken ends come up against each
      > other and provide a good solid abutment so that direction works, but
      > in the
      > other direction it unwinds with the two spiral surfaces rubbing on each
      > other creating a feedback problem for the servo drive.
      >
      > Depending on how the servo drive detects the encoder signals, it could be
      > one encoder wire with a problem, or bad encoder.
      >
      > The servo drive will use one set of output components to run the motor one
      > way, and another set to reverse it, could be one of these has expired.
      >
      > Best bet is to pull the encoder off and check the coupling, also check
      > motor
      > coupling to screw, then start swapping things:- signal from PC between
      > axis,
      > swap motor drives, swap motors with encoder still attached, swap encoders
      > etc. The fault will move with the faulty part, or group of parts, so you
      > keep swapping till you find that one faulty part from the group. Check for
      > loose or poor wire terminations first.
      >
      > Regs Mark
      >
      > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 22 , May 19, 2012
        this is a ward one for sure

        on my lathe, I move the Z towards the chuck, the X work great, I move
        the Z towards the tail stock, just a bump will do, and the X will only
        go smoothly in one direction, and act up big time in the other dir, now
        here is the weird part, move Z toward chuck, no problem with other Z
        moves towards the chuck, move Z towards tail stock and it move fine the
        first move, but other move toward the tail stock growl.

        when growling it looses steps, and this is a servo system, here is some
        more info, it can move at different speeds when growling, or it will
        growl when moving and then just stop, dro is still moving, but motor is not.

        I have scoped the dir pins they are fine, scoped the step pins, they are
        fine. so computer is fine. so what on earth is going on????

        BTW I swapped out the computer just in case. still not working

        open to suggestions if you have them
      • Graham Hollis
        Message 3 of 22 , May 19, 2012
          Stan, as this is a servo system and you say there are lost steps, this
          sounds like you have a problem with the encoders. Either you are picking up
          interference in the encoder signal wires, or there may be a mechanical or
          power issue with them. Check to see that the encoder wheel is not slipping
          on the motor shaft, in one or both directions and that the encoders are
          getting the correct voltage. You may even try an isolated power source if
          they are using power from the servo driver.

          Graham

        • Stan
          Message 4 of 22 , May 19, 2012
            the system worked for years, was work last I used it, shut it down,
            started it up a few days later to use it and now this.
            the encoders are on a isolated power supply, will check voltage. checked
            both wheels they are good.

            On 5/19/2012 7:15 PM, Graham Hollis wrote:

            > Stan, as this is a servo system and you say there are lost steps, this
            > sounds like you have a problem with the encoders. Either you are
            > picking up
            > interference in the encoder signal wires, or there may be a mechanical or
            > power issue with them. Check to see that the encoder wheel is not slipping
            > on the motor shaft, in one or both directions and that the encoders are
            > getting the correct voltage. You may even try an isolated power source if
            > they are using power from the servo driver.
            >
            > Graham

          • Dave Halliday
            Message 5 of 22 , May 19, 2012
              Did you add anything to your shop - VFD, new lighting, etc... You might
              have had an interference sensitivity all along but never generated enough
              interference to trigger an error...

              My 2¢ anyway.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 22 , May 19, 2012
                only thing new was a new tig, a inverter type, miller dynasty, did some
                welding, but it is turned off now, but sure puts out the interference
                when I am using it.

                it could have made something change if it was just barely marginally
                working before

                found some voltage changes were there should not be when changing dir,
                not much but there should be non

                other thing is both axis act up when the dir sig is high, so looking
                into that as well.

                On 5/19/2012 8:30 PM, Dave Halliday wrote:

                > Did you add anything to your shop - VFD, new lighting, etc... You might
                > have had an interference sensitivity all along but never generated enough
                > interference to trigger an error...
                >
                > My 2¢ anyway.
                >
                > Dave

              • Dclifton2
                Message 7 of 22 , May 20, 2012
                  I lost a gecko 203 using a tig welder. My controller was turned off but it came in thru the ground. I could hear a sizzling sound coming from the drive when I drew an arc.
                  Don Clifton

                  Sent from Don Clifton's IPad

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 20, 2012
                    thanks for all the help

                    got it fixed I hope, it looks like it is fixed but it did come and go
                    some, the motors are sounding very smooth so it looks like it is fixed.

                    some ground looping problems and induced noise, not sure why it just
                    started when I did not mess with anything.

                    fixed the grounds and rearranged the wiring and that seems to have got it.

                    hope I am now good to go and can get back to paying work. LOL

                    you guys gave me some ideas and places to look, it help me in solving
                    this problem

                    Thanks
                    Stan
                  • Stan
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 20, 2012
                      the lathe is doing the same thing

                      not sure whats up, worked great for a bit, was check backlash and other
                      calibration settings, and bank it just started again

                      what on earth can this be, I hate intermittent problems, you never know
                      for sure if they are fixed

                      back to the drawing board, and the scope.

                      On 5/20/2012 9:16 AM, Stan wrote:

                      > thanks for all the help
                      >
                      > got it fixed I hope, it looks like it is fixed but it did come and go
                      > some, the motors are sounding very smooth so it looks like it is fixed.
                      >
                      > some ground looping problems and induced noise, not sure why it just
                      > started when I did not mess with anything.
                      >
                      > fixed the grounds and rearranged the wiring and that seems to have got it.
                      >
                      > hope I am now good to go and can get back to paying work. LOL
                      >
                      > you guys gave me some ideas and places to look, it help me in solving
                      > this problem
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Stan

                    • tesla_turbine
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 27, 2012
                        Thank you for your response. I was not clear in my request. I'm looking to embed the routines into the G code so the tool length measurement happens automatically. If I'm going to do the operations manually, I have a custom screen set for that but hey, let's get the machine to do the work.

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Dclifton2 <dclifton2@...> wrote:

                        > Try the 2010 screen set, it does everything you want and more.
                        > Don Clifton
                        >
                        > Sent from Don Clifton's IPad
                        >
                        > On May 2, 2012, at 11:57 AM, "tesla_turbine" <pbarratt@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > N'ther newbie question.
                        > >
                        > > How do I embed probing routines into my G code? I want to have the machine stop for a manual tool change, then move to a predetermined location (in machine coordinates), measure the tool length, reset the Z axis appropriately (in relative coordinates, i.e. G54), then proceed with the machining. If one could embed a Vbasic routine used for screen displays, that would be really great.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks.
                        > >
                        > > Peter

                      • Terry Parker
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 27, 2012
                          The Code to signal a tool change start is ALREADY in mach3 "M6" it tells Mach3 to RUN the M6start/M6end Macros that contain the code to do your Tool height measure routine (or Whatever) then it returns Back to work.

                          You just have to develop the code for the macro to DO what ever it is you want it to do during the tool change.

                          Hope that Helps, (;-) TP

                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "tesla_turbine" <pbarratt@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you for your response. I was not clear in my request. I'm looking to embed the routines into the G code so the tool length measurement happens automatically. If I'm going to do the operations manually, I have a custom screen set for that but hey, let's get the machine to do the work.
                          >
                          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Dclifton2 <dclifton2@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Try the 2010 screen set, it does everything you want and more.
                          > > Don Clifton
                          > >
                          > > Sent from Don Clifton's IPad
                          > >
                          > > On May 2, 2012, at 11:57 AM, "tesla_turbine" <pbarratt@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > N'ther newbie question.
                          > > >
                          > > > How do I embed probing routines into my G code? I want to have the machine stop for a manual tool change, then move to a predetermined location (in machine coordinates), measure the tool length, reset the Z axis appropriately (in relative coordinates, i.e. G54), then proceed with the machining. If one could embed a Vbasic routine used for screen displays, that would be really great.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks.
                          > > >
                          > > > Peter

                        • tesla_turbine
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 28, 2012
                            >"You just have to develop the code for the macro to DO what ever it is you want it to do during the tool change."

                            Yeah. Now you have just captured my question.

                            Interestingly, a concurrent thread for an almost identical problem has opened up and is being addressed by Henrik. I think that will have the answers I need.

                            Thanks anyway.