Re: [mach1mach2cnc] backlash issues

  • Steve Blackmore
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 23:07:03 -0000, you wrote:

      >hello All,
      >
      > since my computer died that i was using for my lathe today. yes this is the second computer in two days that has bit the dust. Now this was a laptop that was about 15 years old. running window 95 and turbocnc under DOS. Anyway I decided to change over to mach3 turn for the lathe. I have got all the axis moving and such but I have .006 of lash in both axis. I have set this in the config and with a dial indicator setup I can move the axis and the backlash is removed on the full move perfectly EXCEPT the backlash comp happens in the middle of the move instead of the start which is what I would think should happen. If i move .100 it will occure at about .050 . Now if I move .010 it will happen at about .005. Does this sound right? any help would be appreciated. I realize I can buy new leadscrews and nuts but .006 of lash does not seem to be that much. I am running a sherline lathe and mach3 turn ver 3.0

      0.006 is a f****** huge amount, BUT it shouldn't matter that much. All
      the cutting on a lathe is generally in one direction, towards the chuck
      and inwards. If you've touched off in that direction without reversing
      you should be OK. If you cut outwards adjust your code to suit.

      Software backlash compensation is at best, a fudge. Always best to try
      fixing it mechanically :)

      Steve Blackmore