Microstep math

  • Phred
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
      All y'all,

      Just finished updating a MAXNC10 (drive circuit died after 13 yrs) to a gecko g540, vexta 1.8 motors and Mach3. The max has 1/4-20 screws, the motors are 1.8 deg/step(200 steps per rev), the gecko defaults to 10 microsteps per step, should mean that 1 inch (on mach 3 motor tuning config) equals 40000 microsteps. 20 x 200 x 10 = 40000. However, my dial gage tells me I need 42,600 steps to get 1"of trsvel, can anybody tell me why?

      Thanks! KK
    • art2
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
        Hi KK

        Could be the screws have worn down by 1.4% over the years? Is there backlash?

        www.gearotic.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
          no backlash, at least not that I can tell, which is weird because I remember having backlash when running the MAXNC software. There is a maybe a .002-.005 hysteresis which varies, but the dial gage is a cheapy from china, so maybe it is out of whack?

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

          > Hi KK
          >
          > Could be the screws have worn down by 1.4% over the years? Is there backlash?

          > www.gearotic.com

        • Gary Liming
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
            If the gantry/carriage is not moving freely, i.e., something's not adjusted right or there is binding/racking/etc going on, it might be missing 1.4 % of the step pulses.  Does it jog freely?

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
              My math was right then?

              It jogs very smoothly, ramps up and down under g-code and the motors have 2x more torque than the old ones... I will double check any sticking issues by checking the trsvel near the limits, that should also help to see if it is just plain wear and tear on the screws as most of the work I have done has been in the middle of the screws.

            • tonyzavilenski@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1 5:03 PM
                KK
                I just replaced my MAXNC controler and steppers with the Gecko G540 system. For some reason I could not get their config file to load into Mach3. Trying to get started fast I clicked on the MAx CL mode of the Mach3 config. The motors turn but not well. Could you tell me how you set up your motor outputs/ports and pins page? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                Tony

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1 5:23 PM
                  My max is older than your's and was open loop, so as soon as added the gecko and new motors, it wasn't a maxnc any more. I just picked the 540B profile that came with Mach3 and am running with that. I think the CL stands for Closed Loop and Mach3 is looking for some feedback, which the gecko won't give.

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "tonyzavilenski@..." <tonyzavilenski@...> wrote:

                  > KK
                  > I just replaced my MAXNC controler and steppers with the Gecko G540 system. For some reason I could not get their config file to load into Mach3. Trying to get started fast I clicked on the MAx CL mode of the Mach3 config. The motors turn but not well. Could you tell me how you set up your motor outputs/ports and pins page? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > Tony

                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1 5:24 PM
                    Hi,

                    Why would you click the MAx CL mode in Mach3? You are now running a G540
                    not the MaxNC controller.

                    Start with the G540 profile from the geckodrive site. Then adjust the
                    config to suit the leadscrews your machine has.

                    The G540 is a 10 microstep drive, so thats 2000 steps/rev. If your machine
                    has a 20TPI leadscrew, then thats 40,000 steps/inch.

                    Then play with the velocity/accelleration  motor tuning to suit the
                    motors you have.

                    The only was to shortcut it is if someone can provide a profile, using
                    this machine and the G540. That said it should take less than 1/2 hour to
                    set it up, using the G540 profile as a starting point.

                    Cheers,

                    Peter.

                    ---------------------------
                    Peter Homann
                    http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

                    On Mon 02/04/12 10:03 AM , "tonyzavilenski@..." wrote:KK
[...]

                    Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    To change settings via email:
                    mach1mach2cnc-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mach1mach2cnc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [4]"
                    target="_blank">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • tonyzavilenski@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1 5:29 PM
                      I will unclick that Max Cl box but where do you find the 540 profile? I don't see it in the program that I have.

                      Tony

                    • tonyzavilenski@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1 5:33 PM
                        Thanks for the advise Peter. I will be working on it tonight.

                        Tony

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2 12:42 AM
                          Hi Tony,

                          The G540 profile can be found at;

                          http://geckodrive.com/ark-2/support.html?pid=15 MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
                          MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">I will unclick