Smooth Stepper ??

  • danny.jacques@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3 6:12 PM
      Can some one explain what Smooth Stepper does and is it worth the money?
      I need to replace my brake out board. I'd rether not spend the money for the SS.
      But I don't want junk ether I have that now.
      My machine is a Jcut 1325 router with a rotory 4th axis
      Can some one recommend a good brake out board
    • Dclifton2
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3 6:33 PM
        PMDX 126, and you can add a SS at anytime. Best BB out there.
        Don Clifton

        Sent from Don Clifton's IPad

        On Mar 3, 2012, at 9:12 PM, "danny.jacques@..." <drjconst@...> wrote:

        > Can some one explain what Smooth Stepper does and is it worth the money?
        > I need to replace my brake out board. I'd rether not spend the money for the SS.
        > But I don't want junk ether I have that now.
        > My machine is a Jcut 1325 router with a rotory 4th axis
        > Can some one recommend a good brake out board

      • bob campbell
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3 6:36 PM
          Danny,

          There are several good breakout boards. I sell one and several others on the
          list sell good breakout boards.

          The smooth stepper emulates up to two parallel ports. It is a USB device.
          Soon there will be a new smooth stepper board that uses the Ethernet
          connection and not the USB connection. I have one and I am waiting for the
          documentation to be ready.

          The smooth stepper communicates with mach3 and gets blocks of data. It then
          generates the step and direction signals on its separate micro processor and
          generates very precise timing which results in a smooth pulse train and
          smooth movements of the motors.

          Bob Campbell

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3 8:07 PM
            PMDX 126 is the only BOB to buy. You can multiplex for more IN / IO, On
            board power supply, 110 or 220 volt.,
            A plug in slot for smothe stepper. Look over the doc's. I converted a
            Hurco. Vary happy. The hasel of not neading to mess with another power
            supply sold me.
            Dave

            On 3/3/2012 9:33 PM, Dclifton2 wrote:

            > PMDX 126, and you can add a SS at anytime. Best BB out there.
            > Don Clifton

          • Danny Jacques
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3 9:34 PM
              Thanks Dave and Don
              The PMDX 126 looks good.
              1 Do I need the PMDX 107 to have spindle speed control if I have the
              spindle inverter?
              2 Do I need to buy the printer cable form them or can I use an old one I
              have?
              3 Does this card care what kind of micro steppers driver I have? MA860H
              CNC Stepper Driver Board Controller 2.6-7.2A AC18-80V DC24-110V 2/4
              Phaseis what I have
              4 And it will work fine without the SS installed?
              Thanks!
              Danny
              On 3/3/2012 11:07 PM, Dave & Rita wrote:

              > PMDX 126 is the only BOB to buy. You can multiplex for more IN / IO, On
              > board power supply, 110 or 220 volt.,
              > A plug in slot for smothe stepper. Look over the doc's. I converted a
              > Hurco. Vary happy. The hasel of not neading to mess with another power
              > supply sold me.
              > Dave
              >
              > On 3/3/2012 9:33 PM, Dclifton2 wrote:
              > >
              > > PMDX 126, and you can add a SS at anytime. Best BB out there.
              > > Don Clifton

            • hemsworthlad
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4 1:55 AM
                Danny the Smooth Stepper just esentially replaces the parallel port with a high performance version with more i/o's. I have one and love it because it allows me to use a Laptop but if you have good working PP then no need for SS.

                The PMDX 126 will workfine with both and is optimised to allow easy connection of a SS at any time. Like others have said it really is the best out there and IMO nothing comes close for the same or similiar money.

                YES you need the PMDX 107 for spindle control.
                NO you don't need to buy PP cable if your old one works ok.
                YES it will work fine with those drives.
                NO doesn't require SS to work.

                Regards
                Dean.

                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Danny Jacques <drjconst@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Dave and Don
                > The PMDX 126 looks good.
                > 1 Do I need the PMDX 107 to have spindle speed control if I have the
                > spindle inverter?
                > 2 Do I need to buy the printer cable form them or can I use an old one I
                > have?
                > 3 Does this card care what kind of micro steppers driver I have? MA860H
                > CNC Stepper Driver Board Controller 2.6-7.2A AC18-80V DC24-110V 2/4
                > Phaseis what I have
                > 4 And it will work fine without the SS installed?
                > Thanks!
                > Danny
                > On 3/3/2012 11:07 PM, Dave & Rita wrote:
                > >
                > > PMDX 126 is the only BOB to buy. You can multiplex for more IN / IO, On
                > > board power supply, 110 or 220 volt.,
                > > A plug in slot for smothe stepper. Look over the doc's. I converted a
                > > Hurco. Vary happy. The hasel of not neading to mess with another power
                > > supply sold me.
                > > Dave
                > >
                > > On 3/3/2012 9:33 PM, Dclifton2 wrote:
                > > >
                > > > PMDX 126, and you can add a SS at anytime. Best BB out there.
                > > > Don Clifton

              • Will Schmit
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4 7:27 AM
                  I use the Smoothstepper, and never had a problem that I didn't create by trying to do something stupid.  Stupid stuff will befuddle any system.

                  I trust Jeffrey Birt as the expert on SmoothStepper, you might want to hunt him down, he posts to this group all the time.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4 7:58 AM
                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "danny.jacques@..." <drjconst@...> wrote:

                    > Can some one explain what Smooth Stepper does and is it worth the money?
                    > I need to replace my brake out board. I'd rether not spend the money for the SS.
                    > But I don't want junk ether I have that now.
                    > My machine is a Jcut 1325 router with a rotory 4th axis
                    > Can some one recommend a good brake out board

                    I recently replaced my breakout board and went with two MB-02-V6 Bidirectional Breakout Boards from Homann Designs. I'm very happy with them. At the time. I wanted a separate board for each parallel port from the PC, Low cost, a small footprint. Upgradable to SS once the ethernet SS version is proven. No pre dedicated outputs or inputs. Enough IO for 4 axis. The MB-02-06 fit those parameters perfectly. I also included a DC-05 DigiSpeed MC for PWM spindle speed control. In my opinion Homann products deserve a look. Very solid well build products.

                    SS in my understanding is a method to replace the the IO from the PC parallel port(s) to a USB port or a ethernet port. With a PC port use, Timing and signal generation is done within the Mach PP driver on the PC as it receives commands from the mach program. With SS the mach Mach gives the SS commands and the timing and signal generation is performed within the SS
                  • Tom Long
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 15 10:25 AM
                      Bob,
                      thanks for your description of the Smooth Stepper board. I have a
                      pretty typical setup on a Syil X4 standard machine, and am out of
                      inputs. I want to add auto-zero but don't know if I should be
                      considering the Smoothstepper as well. If I change to SS, do I still
                      need to change to a dual parallel port card. Here is my setup:

                      * Compaq Presario CQ5000 with Win7 home.
                      * One PCI Slot with a parallel port card installed.
                      * 4 axes (+,-, and home on one pin), and Estop are using all 5 inputs.

                      If this were your system, what would you do? If anyone else has
                      comments, please chime in. I am really out of my depth on this.

                      Regards,

                      Tom Long

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 15 11:32 AM
                        Tom,

                        The smooth stepper card emulates up to two parallel ports. You do not need a
                        parallel port on your computer to use the smooth stepper. The smooth stepper
                        uses a ribbon cable that connects to your breakout board.

                        Randy Ray has a great pendent and a new touch off probe.

                        Bob Campbell

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 15 2:49 PM
                          Randy's products look quite nice, but a little out of my budget right
                          now. I'll have to put them on my dream list.

                          Does anyone know if the Smooth stepper works with Windows 7? I read the
                          manual and it does not list Win7 in the compatibility section.

                          Also does anybody have recommendations on good breakout boards? There
                          are lots of products out there and I've heard that some are better than
                          others.
                          Thanks in advance for the help.

                          bob campbell wrote:
                          > Tom,
                          >
                          > The smooth stepper card emulates up to two parallel ports. You do not need a
                          > parallel port on your computer to use the smooth stepper. The smooth stepper
                          > uses a ribbon cable that connects to your breakout board.
                          >
                          > Randy Ray has a great pendent and a new touch off probe.
                          >
                          > Bob Campbell

                        • Peter Homann
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 15 3:01 PM
                            Hi Tom,

                            Yes it works fine with Windows 7.

                            Cheers,

                            Peter.

                            On 16/03/2012 8:49 AM, Tom Long wrote:
                            > Randy's products look quite nice, but a little out of my budget right
                            > now. I'll have to put them on my dream list.
                            >
                            > Does anyone know if the Smooth stepper works with Windows 7? I read the
                            > manual and it does not list Win7 in the compatibility section.
                            >
                            > Also does anybody have recommendations on good breakout boards? There
                            > are lots of products out there and I've heard that some are better than
                            > others.
                            > Thanks in advance for the help.
                            >
                            > bob campbell wrote:
                            >> Tom,
                            >>
                            >> The smooth stepper card emulates up to two parallel ports. You do not need a
                            >> parallel port on your computer to use the smooth stepper. The smooth stepper
                            >> uses a ribbon cable that connects to your breakout board.
                            >>
                            >> Randy Ray has a great pendent and a new touch off probe.
                            >>
                            >> Bob Campbell

                            eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
                            Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
                            email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
                            Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board
                          • Russell Dunn
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 15 3:06 PM
                              Hello Tom and group,

                              On my three machines I have CNC4PC boards and pendants. I don't know how better or worse they are than other makes. I have not had something else to compare them with,
                              All I can say is with about four years use, plus a sea voyage from Australia to Europe, none of Arturo's components have ever given me an anxious moment. Any time I have asked for advice it has come back within hours.

                              Just another satisfied user.
                              Russell Dunn
                              Tianjin,
                              PR China