Re: mastercam

  • lowry.industries
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 3:21 AM
      Don't forget about my Mastercam to Mach3 Post file.

      Just use this POST file with Generic Mill and you are off and running. The instructions for using this POST file are in the post file comments within the post file itself. Just view using Notepad.

      Here is where you can find the POST file.
      http://www.lowryindustries.com/BridgeportManuals.htm

      Look for the Mach3Generic.PST file.

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Lee" <LeeFairfield@...> wrote:

      > I think your work has given you an excellent opportunity. Knowing Mastercam is in high demand in the machining industry. The idea of Mastercam is that you make a drawing and it generates the G Code. You then copy the G Code to the pc having MACH on it. You then load the G Code into Mach and run it. Mach sends the G Code to your controller which in turn runs the HF mini mill. Mastercam uses a file called a post processor to convert the drawing into G Code. There are many post processors available. As Dave suggested, if in doubt pick Fanuc (generic mill) under the "Machine Type" in Mastercam.
      > Here is a link to more info on the Mach support site
      >
      > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16954.0.html
      >
      > Also, if you go to the machsupport site:
      >
      > http://www.machsupport.com/posts.php
      >
      > and pick the word "posts" next to Mastercam (near the top). It will be the post processor that is referred to in the forum.
      >
      > Good luck
      > Lee
      >
      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "dan" <dan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > is it possible to use mastercam X4 with a converted HF mini mill and if so how would I go about setting that up. I should of ask before work sent me home with a seat any suggestions. I am disabled but my employer is still paying my by each usable prototype I can com up with for them. what would be free and better if any ime new to this I did run a mazak u44 cutting laser

    • clumsysoftballerz
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 9:07 AM
        The learning curve is pretty massive and intimidating, but help is available. Sign up for eapprentice.net ($25 a month) and start learning. if you actually do all if the assignments and watch all the videos you will be programing parts in no time.

        Befor being told I had to learn MCX5 immediately I had played around with engraving and cambam and had run a manual mill, but really I was starting fresh. It tool a while to get the post processor nailed down, but once correct its all easy now.

        I program for tool room milli and my home brewed X3 CNC with mach3. MC doesn't care what the machine actually is... you could literally use mastercam to turn your shop lights on and off our drive a car if you hooked up motors and a controller to the controls.

        MC outputs G code. Your settings give it some direction and your post processor finishes "cleaning" and organizing the information into the dialect of the g code language that your controller speaks.

        I used a custom post I got online somewhere designed to allow tool changes and height offset calls. I can email to you if you like. I had to change some settings like calling G49 BEFORE calling home position on tool changes... broke a few still bits since they were more than 3" longer than my probe and my too change calls 'G0 Z0 9v X0Y0'

        even changing the post took a lot of research and trial and error.

        regarding your question on the zone about set up: the sad truth is there is only one answer - RTFM ;) there is no short cut, you have to follow the basic steps eapprentice will teach you, then go step by step through the MC user manual. it is VERY detailed and you can press the'?' on any screen and go strait to that page in the manual.

        The hardest part is creating machine and control definitions because it takes trial and error by going to cut and finding errors. Save your changes in stages like "my control v1.3" any time you change things so you can revert back to a previous version if you forget how you screwed it up... painful lesson learned.

        MC is amazing once you get the hang of it. for work all I program are slots, pockets, counter bores, chamfers, engraving and facing. On my little x3 I have done some 3d but the head nod makes it worthless. I have spent about 100 hours learning just 2d on MC and find better ways all the time. Eapprentice (no affiliation btw) is the only reason I have my job! Derek is a great guy. last saturday he hosted a "go to training" that was very informative, free and had 19 empty seats. there were three other MC trainers answering questions with live on screen demonstration showing how to do what I asked about.

        He also offers several 12 week courses with MC certification (I'm currently enrolled in the basic course and plan on taking them all). MORE IMPORTANTLY TO EVERYONE ELSE he also covers solidworks in the regular site, AND he is starting a class on GCODE programing too. I feel like a broken record singing his praises, but I owe my job and my own business at least in part to his training.