Re: A starting point?

  • jeremywillson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2012
      I don't think that I would be advising BOBCAD/CAM as an easy starting point. I would advise something like Vectric's Vcarve Pro. Beautiful software that makes you feel good.

      http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/vcp/vcp_index.htm

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, FAROOQ ISMAIL <furuc@...> wrote:

      > it would be good to start with engraving program try BOB CAD/CAM the are very
      > inexpensive

    • Dr Mark Vaughan
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2012
        Bobcad don’t have a clue about commercial engraving.

        They assume engraving cutters which are conical go all the way to a sharp point and generate G code for that.

        But engraving cutters that go to a sharp point don’t work well, the engraving community learnt this many years ago, they now use conical cutters that are conical but have a flat across the back, you can buy them with with different conical angles and different widths for the tip. (Note the flat isn’t quite flat, it’s at a slight angle so it can cut)

        The end result is that if you try engraving with Bobcad the quality of the work will be very poor compared with a proper engravers program.

        There are also issues the way they build their G code, many of us in this trade use a tool change call to bringup some code in mach to reset the tool height, this is important with very fine engraving where the surface is never 100% plat so you need to relevel for every few words of engraving. With most Cam packages you can set the post processor to give you an M6 at every tool change call, but Bobcad doesn’t do it like that.

        With Bobcad I probably scrapped 3 jobs to get one good one, and when those jobs were 4 to 5 hours typically I wasn’t happy. With Type3 I scrap perhaps 1 in 10, and they take about 1/3 of the time to cut because their algorithms to infill an engraving are much better.

        As for inexpensive, Bobcad will start with an expensive price, then phone you back every couple of weeks hammering you with more sales talk,some of it rubbish, but gradually drop the price, after about six weeks it’s often down to a few hundred pounds. If you want to do CNC machining it’s not bad, but don’t pick it if you are going to do a lot of engraving.

        Regards Mark

        From: wulfren2k <wulfren2k@... <mailto:wulfren2k%40yahoo.com> >
        Subject: [mach1mach2cnc] A starting point?
        To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 3:42 PM

        I know it takes years to learn & master proper CNC programming, and being honest I don't know that its even fair to ask this. So respectfully (and cautiously) I ask.

        Can anyone refer me to a good starting point on learning CNC basics? A while back I posted stating I was trying to help out a friend @ a LGS we were able to get the system setup and running. However due to him being so busy its pretty much became an option for me. If I can learn the basics of how to do numbering & lettering on the firearms it will basically be my job.

        I know you can't instantly know it all (even with my PC work its something that is progressive). What I really need is a starting point. A program that can do simple wording, (I honestly thought that someone would have made just for all the in house AR builds). Or web, guide as a launching point.

        I thank you for your time in reading this.

        William
        a.k.a. Wulf

      • Boman33
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2012
          I am also a happy user of Vectric's Vcarve Pro.

          Bertho

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2012
            I use VCarvePro (I'm still on version 5) and find it fine. For text it
            offers all the True type fonts that appear to come with MS word. For very
            fine engraving in CZ120 brass, I do use a conical point with no additional
            front flat. Usually 60 degrees included. The cutting options also include
            parallel cutters and the option of adding the dimensions of one's own
            favourites.

            Best regards,

            James

          • John Ingham
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2012
              Mark,
              Are you talking about the BobCAd/CAM ART program or just the standard
              mill program?
              JWI
              On 2/1/2012 1:15 AM, Dr Mark Vaughan wrote:

              > Bobcad don’t have a clue about commercial engraving.
              >
              > They assume engraving cutters which are conical go all the way to a
              > sharp point and generate G code for that.
              >
              > But engraving cutters that go to a sharp point don’t work well, the
              > engraving community learnt this many years ago, they now use conical
              > cutters that are conical but have a flat across the back, you can buy
              > them with with different conical angles and different widths for the
              > tip. (Note the flat isn’t quite flat, it’s at a slight angle so it can
              > cut)
              >
              > The end result is that if you try engraving with Bobcad the quality of
              > the work will be very poor compared with a proper engravers program.
              >
              > There are also issues the way they build their G code, many of us in
              > this trade use a tool change call to bringup some code in mach to
              > reset the tool height, this is important with very fine engraving
              > where the surface is never 100% plat so you need to relevel for every
              > few words of engraving. With most Cam packages you can set the post
              > processor to give you an M6 at every tool change call, but Bobcad
              > doesn’t do it like that.
              >
              > With Bobcad I probably scrapped 3 jobs to get one good one, and when
              > those jobs were 4 to 5 hours typically I wasn’t happy. With Type3 I
              > scrap perhaps 1 in 10, and they take about 1/3 of the time to cut
              > because their algorithms to infill an engraving are much better.
              >
              > As for inexpensive, Bobcad will start with an expensive price, then
              > phone you back every couple of weeks hammering you with more sales
              > talk,some of it rubbish, but gradually drop the price, after about six
              > weeks it’s often down to a few hundred pounds. If you want to do CNC
              > machining it’s not bad, but don’t pick it if you are going to do a lot
              > of engraving.
              >
              > Regards Mark
              >
              > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com

            • Dr Mark Vaughan
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2012
                Hi John

                It was sold to me as the Milling Program with an addon, for Art work.

                When sold to me they claimed it would do everything Type3 could and more.

                It will be going back a couple of years now, so not the latest version.

                But a senior Bobcad engineer privately emails me on occasions, last time we chatted was over Xmas and he claims they still haven’t fixed this issue, it has been raised and discussed but they don’t understand the need, and they think there is no need for 3D engraving. He also says they don’t understand why many commercial engraving guy’s, or jewellery designers don’t like them.

                What I really ddn’t like was how much the sales guys lie, and have no regret for having done so when called out.

                When I’ve asked this with my friend he suggests we pray to the wrong tree, which isn’t their tree, so in society we don’t actually exist.

                Regs Mark

                Are you talking about the BobCAd/CAM ART program or just the standard
                mill program?
                JWI
                On 2/1/2012 1:15 AM, Dr Mark Vaughan wrote:

                > Bobcad don’t have a clue about commercial engraving.
                >
                > They assume engraving cutters which are conical go all the way to a
                > sharp point and generate G code for that.
                >
                > But engraving cutters that go to a sharp point don’t work well, the
                > engraving community learnt this many years ago, they now use conical
                > cutters that are conical but have a flat across the back, you can buy
                > them with with different conical angles and different widths for the
                > tip. (Note the flat isn’t quite flat, it’s at a slight angle so it can
                > cut)
                >
                > The end result is that if you try engraving with Bobcad the quality of
                > the work will be very poor compared with a proper engravers program.
                >
                > There are also issues the way they build their G code, many of us in
                > this trade use a tool change call to bringup some code in mach to
                > reset the tool height, this is important with very fine engraving
                > where the surface is never 100% plat so you need to relevel for every
                > few words of engraving. With most Cam packages you can set the post
                > processor to give you an M6 at every tool change call, but Bobcad
                > doesn’t do it like that.
                >
                > With Bobcad I probably scrapped 3 jobs to get one good one, and when
                > those jobs were 4 to 5 hours typically I wasn’t happy. With Type3 I
                > scrap perhaps 1 in 10, and they take about 1/3 of the time to cut
                > because their algorithms to infill an engraving are much better.
                >
                > As for inexpensive, Bobcad will start with an expensive price, then
                > phone you back every couple of weeks hammering you with more sales
                > talk,some of it rubbish, but gradually drop the price, after about six
                > weeks it’s often down to a few hundred pounds. If you want to do CNC
                > machining it’s not bad, but don’t pick it if you are going to do a lot
                > of engraving.
                >
                > Regards Mark
                >
                > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

              • John Ingham
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2012
                  Hi Mark,
                  I don't engrave signs, but I do a bit of lettering on special wood
                  products from time to time. I use BobCad/Cam ver 24 mill and
                  occasionally the Art addon and find that the program post works very
                  well. I have developed an extensive library of cutting bits over time
                  and the program seems to take the different bit shapes into
                  consideration when generating the posts for Mach3. I will look more
                  closely at the posts in the future to be sure I don't get into some of
                  the problems you mention.
                  Also I didn't pay an awful lot of money for BobCad and if memory serves
                  me right, it was about half of what Vcarve costs. And I can't find any
                  published costs for Type3.
                  And when they call, I just put on my "used car salesman" guard on.
                  Lately they are just interested in providing training seminars.
                  Best regards
                  JWI

                  On 2/1/2012 12:12 PM, Dr Mark Vaughan wrote:

                  > Hi John
                  >
                  > It was sold to me as the Milling Program with an addon, for Art work.
                  >
                  > When sold to me they claimed it would do everything Type3 could and more.
                  >
                  > It will be going back a couple of years now, so not the latest version.
                  >
                  > But a senior Bobcad engineer privately emails me on occasions, last
                  > time we chatted was over Xmas and he claims they still haven’t fixed
                  > this issue, it has been raised and discussed but they don’t understand
                  > the need, and they think there is no need for 3D engraving. He also
                  > says they don’t understand why many commercial engraving guy’s, or
                  > jewellery designers don’t like them.
                  >
                  > What I really ddn’t like was how much the sales guys lie, and have no
                  > regret for having done so when called out.
                  >
                  > When I’ve asked this with my friend he suggests we pray to the wrong
                  > tree, which isn’t their tree, so in society we don’t actually exist.
                  >
                  > Regs Mark
                  >
                  > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com

                • wulfren2k
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2012
                    I am sorry for the delay in responding, Doctor's appointments have an amazing ability to take way more time than ever imagined. While reading over this, so far I have Cut2d and Stickfont downloaded. I'm going to work with them this weekend and see where I am at.

                    Thank you all for the information & links I think I have a solid point from which to go forward.

                    William

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "James Buxton" <james@...> wrote:

                    > I use VCarvePro (I'm still on version 5) and find it fine. For text it
                    > offers all the True type fonts that appear to come with MS word. For very
                    > fine engraving in CZ120 brass, I do use a conical point with no additional
                    > front flat. Usually 60 degrees included. The cutting options also include
                    > parallel cutters and the option of adding the dimensions of one's own
                    > favourites.
                    >

                    > Best regards,
                    >

                    > James

                  • "hanermo" - CNC 6-axis Designs
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2012
                      You are asking for a commercial solution.
                      Anyone with 3+ years mach3 experience can show you.
                      It is NOT hard.

                      Just offer them a bit of folding green.
                      Mach3 + any decent diy hw will do the same as 30k in commercial packaging.

                      You get to pick your amount of packaging versus $$.
                      It´s a good fair trade.

                      Cheapest, fastest, bestest will be to offer someone 1000 $ for show you,
                      and 1000$ for them to build whatever necessary from components they
                      recommend and you buy and pay for.
                      Spend 2 weeks or 80 hours at it, paying 1000$ to someone for the 2
                      weeks, and you will be doing quality commercial work in 2 weeks.

                      It is NOT cheap-free fast good and easy.

                      It IS 20x cheaper than 95% of commercial offerings.

                      > I know it takes years to learn & master proper CNC programming, and
                      > being honest I don't know that its even fair to ask this. So
                      > respectfully (and cautiously) I ask.
                      >
                      > Can anyone refer me to a good starting point on learning CNC basics? A
                      > while back I posted stating I was trying to help out a friend @ a LGS
                      > we were able to get the system setup and running. However due to him
                      > being so busy its pretty much became an option for me. If I can learn
                      > the basics of how to do numbering & lettering on the firearms it will
                      > basically be my job.
                      >
                      > I know you can't instantly know it all (even with my PC work its
                      > something that is progressive). What I really need is a starting
                      > point. A program that can do simple wording, (I honestly thought that
                      > someone would have made just for all the in house AR builds). Or web,
                      > guide as a launching point.
                      >
                      > I thank you for your time in reading this.
                      >
                      > William
                      > a.k.a. Wulf

                    • johntech
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2012
                        I've finally got my machine up and running again ( a few upgrades ) and have started using Cut2D along with DraftSight
                        What an awesome pair of programs.

                        I have a question about the motor tuning in Mach 3 Version R3.043.022. I have all 3 axis set up with the same numbers.
                        All 3 leadscrews are the same. I drew a circle on the MDF with a campass. When I mill out a 8" circle I noticed that the
                        X axis was out of round by 1/16". Does this mean that I need to tweak the Steps Per for the X axis?
                        Other that that Mach 3 controls the machine just fine!!

                        John Frankforther