Re: 5 axis simultaneous machining

  • rainnea
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
      Hi Chris,
      I've been using Mach3 for 5-axis simultaneous machining for years.
      Works pretty well !
      For videos, etc. see my site.
      Rab
      CNC Toolkit
      http://www.cnc-toolkit.com

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Chris <microcnc_31@...> wrote:

      > Hello:
      >
      > Has anyone done the 5 axis simultaneous machining here with Mach 3?. If so
      > will you share your experiences was it 3+2 or a true 5 axis?. How did you
      > add your 5th is also valuable too.
      >
      > Thanks In advanced;
      >
      > Chris
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
        You have no 4 axes just wush you could. Where is the part?

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
          It looks awful what you have. It is good for swing machine

          _____

          I've been using Mach3 for 5-axis simultaneous machining for years.
          Works pretty well !
          For videos, etc. see my site.
          Rab
          CNC Toolkit
          http://www.cnc-toolkit.com

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , Chris <microcnc_31@...> wrote:

          > Hello:
          >
          > Has anyone done the 5 axis simultaneous machining here with Mach 3?. If so
          > will you share your experiences was it 3+2 or a true 5 axis?. How did you
          > add your 5th is also valuable too.
          >
          > Thanks In advanced;
          >
          > Chris

        • art2
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
            Chris:

            What you seem to be asking about is if Mach3 will do autokinematic type of 5th axis. The answer is no.
            Mach3 can control a 6 axis machine, but only as an interpreter of direct commands.

            What your considering "true" 5 axis I suspect ..is a machine that when presented with a command
            such as G1X10Y10Z3 will then move all 5 or 6 axis to move the tool tip to that coordinate while keeping
            the tool tangent to the workpiece. Mach3 will not do such kinematic work, all commands neem to be fully explicit,
            and to move 5 axis, all 5 axis must be commanded.

            There is no kinematic mode in Mach3, so the cam program must handle all kinematic translations and worry about
            dead zones, backlash considerations, axis nonintuitive reversals and collision avoidance.. So the answer to the
            question "Can Mach3 handle 5 axis" is Yes, but only in controller mode, not in a realtime kinematic mode.

            www.gearotic.com

            It looks awful what you have. It is good for swing machine

            _____

            I've been using Mach3 for 5-axis simultaneous machining for years.
            Works pretty well !
            For videos, etc. see my site.
            Rab
            CNC Toolkit
            http://www.cnc-toolkit.com

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , Chris <microcnc_31@...> wrote:

            > Hello:
            >
            > Has anyone done the 5 axis simultaneous machining here with Mach 3?. If so
            > will you share your experiences was it 3+2 or a true 5 axis?. How did you
            > add your 5th is also valuable too.
            >
            > Thanks In advanced;
            >
            > Chris

          • "hanermo" - CNC 6-axis Designs
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
              Art ...
              Thanks for a polite, concise, correct explanation.

              > Chris:
              >
              > What you seem to be asking about is if Mach3 will do autokinematic
              > type of 5th axis. The answer is no.
              > Mach3 can control a 6 axis machine, but only as an interpreter of
              > direct commands.
              >
              > What your considering "true" 5 axis I suspect ..is a machine that when
              > presented with a command
              > such as G1X10Y10Z3 will then move all 5 or 6 axis to move the tool tip
              > to that coordinate while keeping
              > the tool tangent to the workpiece. Mach3 will not do such kinematic
              > work, all commands neem to be fully explicit,
              > and to move 5 axis, all 5 axis must be commanded.
              >
              > There is no kinematic mode in Mach3, so the cam program must handle
              > all kinematic translations and worry about
              > dead zones, backlash considerations, axis nonintuitive reversals and
              > collision avoidance.. So the answer to the
              > question "Can Mach3 handle 5 axis" is Yes, but only in controller
              > mode, not in a realtime kinematic mode.

              > www.gearotic.com

            • Lester Caine
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                art2 wrote:
                > Mach3 will not do such kinematic work, all commands neem to be fully explicit,
                > and to move 5 axis, all 5 axis must be commanded.

                And Rab's CNCToolkit will create such a set of commands which work well for many
                users ...

                --
                Lester Caine - G8HFL
                -----------------------------
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                  So Mach3 is dead head in true 5 axes machining. Dead zone is a big NO. Non
                  the less the tool path is always posted by CAM . And it means to keep tool
                  motion tangent to work piece at all times!.

                  _____

                  From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  I've been using Mach3 for 5-axis simultaneous machining for years.
                  Works pretty well !
                  For videos, etc. see my site.
                  Rab
                  CNC Toolkit
                  http://www.cnc-toolkit.com

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , Chris <microcnc_31@...> wrote:

                  > Hello:
                  >
                  > Has anyone done the 5 axis simultaneous machining here with Mach 3?. If so
                  > will you share your experiences was it 3+2 or a true 5 axis?. How did you
                  > add your 5th is also valuable too.
                  >
                  > Thanks In advanced;
                  >
                  > Chris

                • Jarrett Johnson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Chris I have such a CAM/post and while I have not yet 'run' 5 axis code
                    it should be happening here in the not to distant future..  What form
                    of CAM are you currently using to create your code?

                    J. Johnson