May have found cause of stupid machine

  • Wolgamott M
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3 4:40 AM
      For those of the group that have followed some of the problems I and other in the group have recently had, I would like to notify you I have found a problem in my setup. looking back this may have been in the system for some time as once before i had similar problem, my machine would go stupid at somewhere around 25 - 33 minutes. then rear it's ugly head anywhere it wanted to after that. Recently a few time when it arrived unexpectedly it would loose all communications with my Shuttle Pro.  One can only make an assumption this had something to do with the stupidity of my machine? Finally all communications were lost to the Shuttle Pro, oh no what now! well I'm happy to announce after a short search a bad USB cable was found.

      Comumications flowing both ways again will test machine further tonight.

      Thanks for all the tips many were used and incorporated in looking/eliminating possible sources of the problem.

      www.cnc-n-signs.com
      Pontiac, MI 48340
      248-812-1556 leave a message
      or return an Email mnwolgamott@...

    • hydroxy@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4 2:49 AM
        Well, that is a little bit surprising if that's the case! I never would have anticipated that. Please update to confirm when you can!

        Chris

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4 4:39 AM
          I have one error in what was cut last night and I beileve this was caused by pushing too hard on a dull bit, small nick in upper right hand corner. Nothing like previous problems. Picture from Cell phone sorry for poor quality.

          M. Wolgamott
          www.cnc-n-signs.com
          Pontiac, MI 48340
          248-812-1556 leave a message
          or return an Email mnwolgamott@...

          Well, that is a little bit surprising if that's the case! I never would have anticipated that. Please update to confirm when you can!

          Chris

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Wolgamott M <mnwolgamott@...> wrote:

          > For those of the group that have followed some of the problems I and other in the group have recently had, I would like to notify you I have found a problem in my setup. looking back this may have been in the system for some time as once before i had similar problem, my machine would go stupid at somewhere around 25 - 33 minutes. then rear it's ugly head anywhere it wanted to after that. Recently a few time when it arrived unexpectedly it would loose all communications with my Shuttle Pro.  One can only make an assumption this had something to do with the stupidity of my machine? Finally all communications were lost to the Shuttle Pro, oh no what now! well I'm happy to announce after a short search a bad USB cable was found.
          >
          > Comumications flowing both ways again will test machine further tonight.
          >
          > Thanks for all the tips many were used and incorporated in looking/eliminating possible sources of the problem.
          >
          > www.cnc-n-signs.com
          > Pontiac, MI 48340
          > 248-812-1556 leave a message
          > or return an Email mnwolgamott@...

        • ftkalcevic
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4 2:03 PM
            While on this topic, does any one know where I can get some heavy duty USB cables? I'm having a similar problem where my USB cable to my pendant keeps getting damaged.

            The linear scales for my DRO have cables covered in a metal sheath. Something like that would be nice, either a complete cable or if I can DIY it.

            Frank

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Wolgamott M <mnwolgamott@...> wrote:

            > For those of the group that have followed some of the problems I and other in the group have recently had, I would like to notify you I have found a problem in my setup. looking back this may have been in the system for some time as once before i had similar problem, my machine would go stupid at somewhere around 25 - 33 minutes. then rear it's ugly head anywhere it wanted to after that. Recently a few time when it arrived unexpectedly it would loose all communications with my Shuttle Pro.  One can only make an assumption this had something to do with the stupidity of my machine? Finally all communications were lost to the Shuttle Pro, oh no what now! well I'm happy to announce after a short search a bad USB cable was found.
            >
            > Comumications flowing both ways again will test machine further tonight.
            >
            > Thanks for all the tips many were used and incorporated in looking/eliminating possible sources of the problem.
            >
            > www.cnc-n-signs.com
            > Pontiac, MI 48340
            > 248-812-1556 leave a message
            > or return an Email mnwolgamott@...

          • Jeffrey T. Birt
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4 2:17 PM
              Yes, from me J. Take a look at:
              http://www.soigeneris.com/USB_Cable_A_B-details.aspx

              These are a much nicer cable than the typical ones. I'm not aware of a USB
              cable with a sheath but you can easily add one. The sheath material gets
              wider when you scrunch it up so you can slip it over the connectors. When
              you stretch it out it gets skinnier (kind of like Chinese finger cuffs).

              Jeff Birt

              Soigeneris.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5 12:32 AM
                There are heavy duty commercial USB cables with screened chaff resistant
                covers like we'd expect to use on a machine, and water proof screw cap ends,
                but I don't recall who the stockist was. The screw cap water proof USB ends
                though do turn up in many parts catalogues, I think they are available in
                one of the Amphenol or buccaneer ranges. One source for cables, may be the
                Disco DJ suppliers, some of these guys have some very nice quality cables,
                and many now include a PC with their decks, so perhaps hi grade USB cables
                have found their way to their suppliers.

                The woven braided sheath you talk of is good for grouping cables and as an
                anti chaffing aid, but doesn't stop slide way and cutting oils getting onto
                the cables, which some of the softer PVC cables absorb quite quickly which
                greatly effects the insulation capacitance and so will in time effect hi
                speed signal capability of the cable.

                Regs Mark

                Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

                Managing Director

                Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

                Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

                Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

                Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

                RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5 3:49 AM
                  B&B Electronics has some really nice Industrial USB cables with CSA approved pull ratings (3.5 lbs force to remove).

                  Richard

                • Steve B
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5 5:08 AM
                    Have you looked at heat shrink tubing?

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5 5:29 AM
                      > The woven braided sheath you talk of is good for grouping cables and as an
                      > anti chaffing aid, but doesn't stop slide way and cutting oils getting onto
                      > the cables,

                      I think I've confused my terminology. I'd like to get something like this for USB...

                      https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=D710

                      They call it steel reinforced cable, not sheath.
                    • Lester Caine
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5 5:54 AM
                        ftkalcevic wrote:
                        >> The woven braided sheath you talk of is good for grouping cables and as an
                        >> > anti chaffing aid, but doesn't stop slide way and cutting oils getting onto
                        >> > the cables,
                        >

                        > I think I've confused my terminology. I'd like to get something like this for USB...
                        > https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=D710
                        > They call it steel reinforced cable, not sheath.

                        Something like http://www.partex.co.uk/spiral.html may be suitable? But even
                        that does not go small enough really.
                        There probably is a market for a nice USB lead like the D Type Scale ones but
                        I've yet to spot any in the wild :(

                        --
                        Lester Caine - G8HFL
                        -----------------------------
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 5 6:22 AM
                          >> The woven braided sheath you talk of is good for grouping cables and as
                          an
                          >> anti chaffing aid, but doesn't stop slide way and cutting oils getting
                          onto the cables,

                          Nor was that a stated requirement of the OP. For the average machine tool it
                          would take a lot of effort to get a pendant cable soaked in slide way oil or
                          cutting oil, unless you drag the pendant into the machine J If you have a
                          large plasma or water jet table then it is of much more concern as the
                          pendant will likely be drug around as the operator walks all over the top of
                          the table.

                          >I think I've confused my terminology. I'd like to get something like this
                          for USB...
                          >https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=D710

                          The problem is that you would have to install the USB connectors after
                          routing the USB cable through the armored sheath. Most USB cables have
                          over-molded connectors, it takes some searching to find slip on boots if you
                          want to try and custom make a cable.

                          If you're looking for abrasion protection and don't need it to be water
                          resistant than take a look at the wide variety of sleeving materials
                          available. Here are a few ideas

                          http://www.techflex.com/

                          http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/BraidedSleeving.php

                          Jeff birt

                          Soigeneris.com

                        • Dr Mark Vaughan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 5 6:38 AM
                            Depends who owns the machine Jeffrey.

                            My controls remains clean, the PC keyboard does occasionally suffer from a
                            bit of swarf beneath the keys, simple silicon keyboard sorts that.

                            However I've serviced many commercial machines within firms, mills lathes,
                            spark eroders, plasma cutters, all sorts, and many commercial shops will get
                            cutting oils, slide ways oils, hydraulics oils, water and anything else all
                            over the place. We've replaced many cables to pendants completely swelled
                            with oil and breaking down with internal shorts at digital frequencies,
                            though OK with a DC ohm meter. Many pendants short circuited inside by the
                            fine metal particles that leak in with fluid, especially in carbide grinding
                            and erosion workshops. Even servo motors filled with coolant, or oil,
                            sometimes even if your careful it gets everywhere.

                            Back to pendants, if you need a pendant with mach, that probably means you
                            need to get close in to look for a touch on perhaps and the keyboard is too
                            far away so the pendant gets dragged into the machine, with all the mess
                            from the first part of the job, then often gets left sitting on the end of
                            the machine table while cutting takes place. You may not do it, but I'm sure
                            plenty of others will, and employees mostly don't care.

                            So it depends what environment our colleague is in, and while considering
                            something to protect cables from chaffing, some chemical protection might
                            also be worth looking out for.

                            Regs Mark

                            Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

                            Managing Director

                            Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

                            Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

                            Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

                            Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

                            RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

                            >> The woven braided sheath you talk of is good for grouping cables and as
                            an
                            >> anti chaffing aid, but doesn't stop slide way and cutting oils getting
                            onto the cables,

                            Nor was that a stated requirement of the OP. For the average machine tool it
                            would take a lot of effort to get a pendant cable soaked in slide way oil or
                            cutting oil, unless you drag the pendant into the machine J If you have a
                            large plasma or water jet table then it is of much more concern as the
                            pendant will likely be drug around as the operator walks all over the top of
                            the table.

                            >I think I've confused my terminology. I'd like to get something like this
                            for USB...
                            >https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=D710

                            The problem is that you would have to install the USB connectors after
                            routing the USB cable through the armored sheath. Most USB cables have
                            over-molded connectors, it takes some searching to find slip on boots if you
                            want to try and custom make a cable.

                            If you're looking for abrasion protection and don't need it to be water
                            resistant than take a look at the wide variety of sleeving materials
                            available. Here are a few ideas

                            http://www.techflex.com/

                            http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/BraidedSleeving.php

                            Jeff birt

                            Soigeneris.com

                          • John Burford
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 5 8:13 AM
                              Maybe you could run the cables overhead.