Idiots Guide to Calculating/Setup of a 4th Axis

  • Clayton Read
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
      I am having a little trouble with this. Is there a simple guide somewhere for setting up a 4th Axis in Mach3?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      -Clayton

    • Andy Wander
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
        Hi Clayton:

        You set up a 4th axis in exactly the same way you set up any other axis.

        You need to enable the axis, set a step and direction port and pin, and hook it up to your motor driver.

        What sort of problems are you having?

        Andy Wander

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
          Clayton, contact me off forum tomorrow and I will try and help you.
          Don
          Dclifton2@...

          Sent from Don Clifton IPad

        • leerod@tpg.com.au
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
            I will be setting up a 4th axis soon as well so can the calculations be clarified.
            Are the step per degree or 360 degrees?
            eg and for simplicity if I have a direct coupled motor to the 4th axis and a Gecko on 10 microsteps
            and a 1.8 degree stepper.
            Are the calcs
            10 X 200 divide by 360 ???
            asuming it is steps per degree.
            Your help would be appreciated.
            cheers,
            Rod

            On Mon, Aug 1st, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Andy Wander <awander@...> wrote:

            > Hi Clayton:
            >
            > You set up a 4th axis in exactly the same way you set up any other axis.
            >
            > You need to enable the axis, set a step and direction port and pin, and
            > hook it up to your motor driver.
            >
            > What sort of problems are you having?
            >
            > Andy Wander

          • Andy Wander
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
              The "unit" for a rotary axis is the degree.

              Motor calibration is in steps/unit.

              Your calculation below looks to be correct if in fact your rotary axis is turned directly by the stepper motor. If there is any gearing(as in the case of most dividing heads) you need to take that into account as well.

              Does one turn of your motor equal one turn(360 degrees) of your rotary axis?

              Andy Wander

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                Thanks Andy
                That answers my question. The 4th axis has a harmonic drive and from memory 50:1 but it has
                been a while and I could be totally wrong about the gearing. I can caculate the steps from here
                though.
                cheers,
                Rod

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                  Hi Clayton,
                  You may find this calculator useful:
                  Gaston

                  --
                  Gaston
                  http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                    Clayton, there is a file "StepperCalc.XLS in the files section that you might find useful.
                    al

                  • alenz@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                      OOPS, I should have read the rest of the posts first. Sorry for the redundant post.
                      al

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, alenz@... wrote:

                      > Clayton, there is a file "StepperCalc.XLS in the files section that you might find useful.
                      > al
                      >
                      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Clayton Read <claytonread@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I am having a little trouble with this. Is there a simple guide somewhere for setting up a 4th Axis in Mach3?
                      > >
                      > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                      > >
                      > > -Clayton

                    • Clayton Read
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011