RE: [mach1mach2cnc] PCB Speeds & Feeds

  • Jeffrey T. Birt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2011
      With the two flute bits I sell I recommend feeding at 1 IPM for thousand
      spindle RPM. I generally cut 1 oz copper PCBS 0.005" deep which gives about
      the same width of cut with a 60 deg bit. With the single edge bits you have
      you will likely want to feed a little slower.

      The big thing to watch out for is the Dremel tool itself. They have horrible
      run out which will cause your bits to wear and break prematurely. Some have
      reported that the Proxxon tool is better but for my money I would go with
      the Bosh Colt palm router and the PreciseBits precision collets for them:
      http://www.soigeneris.com/PreciseBits_Bosch_Colt_Precision_Collets-details.a
      spx (my website). This will provide a spindle with good speed, very little
      run-out and good longevity.

      Jeff Birt

      Soigeneris.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2011
        Jeff,
        Do you have a recommendation for feeds and speeds while cutting plastic such
        as acrylic or polycarbonate?
        Thanks,
        Mark

        On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Jeffrey T. Birt <birt_j@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > With the two flute bits I sell I recommend feeding at 1 IPM for thousand
        > spindle RPM. I generally cut 1 oz copper PCBS 0.005" deep which gives about
        > the same width of cut with a 60 deg bit. With the single edge bits you have
        > you will likely want to feed a little slower.
        >
        > The big thing to watch out for is the Dremel tool itself. They have
        > horrible
        > run out which will cause your bits to wear and break prematurely. Some have
        > reported that the Proxxon tool is better but for my money I would go with
        > the Bosh Colt palm router and the PreciseBits precision collets for them:
        >
        > http://www.soigeneris.com/PreciseBits_Bosch_Colt_Precision_Collets-details.a
        > spx (my website). This will provide a spindle with good speed, very little
        > run-out and good longevity.
        >
        > Jeff Birt
        >
        > Soigeneris.com

      • Dr Mark Vaughan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
          First thing to consider is cooling and keeping the cutters clear. I use
          compressed blown from a standard coolant nozzle and blown onto the cutter
          slightly off centre to it pulls the swarf from the cutter.
          Then there's cutter material, even with air coolant the plastics tend to
          stick to simple hi speed steel which loses its edge quite quickly, so look
          to use carbide cutters which hold their edge much better.
          Feeds and speeds end up getting chosen, based on distortion and finish to
          the material, which is often based on the cutters helical angle, sometimes
          straight fluted slot drills are better, sometimes reverse helix, and there
          are special cutters for plastics though they are expensive. If I'm cutting
          ABS on the CNC mill, this is usually electrical holes in plastic boxes with
          3 to 6mm thick walls using a 5mm to 10mm cutter, I'll typically use about
          2000rpm, and feeds between 75 and 200 mm/min depending on how much support
          the box wall has. I can go faster and did try 4000mm/min once at 4000rpm but
          it pulled the boxes out of my jig. If it's the router on hard plastics I
          run 20,000rpm, and slower for slightly softer plastics, most of the time the
          material is well clamps so can feed at 200mm/min for shallow cuts like
          engraving, and about 75mm/min for cutting out with a 3mm slot drill.

          So you'll see there's a wide variance on what works, dependant on material,
          cutter, your machine capabilities, quality of finish, minimizing time for
          the job etc., and it's going to take a little trial and error.

          Hope that helps

          Regs Mark

          Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU
          Managing Director
          Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068
          Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351
          Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.
          Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288
          RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

          <birt_j@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > With the two flute bits I sell I recommend feeding at 1 IPM for thousand
          > spindle RPM. I generally cut 1 oz copper PCBS 0.005" deep which gives
          about
          > the same width of cut with a 60 deg bit. With the single edge bits you
          have
          > you will likely want to feed a little slower.
          >
          > The big thing to watch out for is the Dremel tool itself. They have
          > horrible
          > run out which will cause your bits to wear and break prematurely. Some
          have
          > reported that the Proxxon tool is better but for my money I would go with
          > the Bosh Colt palm router and the PreciseBits precision collets for them:

          http://www.soigeneris.com/PreciseBits_Bosch_Colt_Precision_Collets-details.a
          > spx (my website). This will provide a spindle with good speed, very little
          > run-out and good longevity.
          >
          > Jeff Birt
          >
          > Soigeneris.com

        • bennyattwell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
            i cut some 20mm thick acrylic a few weeks ago. had to experiment a bit with speeds (more a balance of runtime and surface finish)
            i used a 6mm single flute up spiral cutter.
            firstly at 1.5metres/minute then at 3metres/minute. spindle speed 17000 on both. 2mm stepdown per pass as i was only using an 800watt spindle
            the faster speed left a much cleaner edge with better chip clearance.
            i videod my results and as usual banged them on utube.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbQgMXfz-7E (slow cut)
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsTI8tokYc (faster cutout)
            im no expert with plastics but i had 10 of these to do so i had a play!

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mickelsen <msmickelsen@...> wrote:

            > Jeff,
            > Do you have a recommendation for feeds and speeds while cutting plastic such
            > as acrylic or polycarbonate?
            > Thanks,
            > Mark
          • Jeffrey T. Birt
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2011
              Steve,

              I use acrylic to test the layout of controller end panels and such.
              Generally for the V bits I will feed as 15~20 IPM at an RPM of about 5,000.
              As others have said an air blast really helps out with plastic by keeping
              the bit cooled down.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2011
                Jeff,
                What speeds and feeds to you use with a 1 or 2 flute end mill for cutting
                out pieces of acrylic?
                Mark

              • Jeffrey T. Birt
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 28, 2011
                  Mark it is really hard to answer a question like that. The flute geometry,
                  diameter and type of acrylic play a huge role. The capabilities of your
                  machine make a huge difference as well. If you can find a chip load listed
                  for the bit that will give you a place to start.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29, 2011
                    Jeff is right. It is very hard to answer that question without a lot more info.

                    What kind of tool (rake, helix, tip style, diameter, relief, ect.)? Changes in any of these will effect how you have to feed the tool. e.g using a metal cutter will give you a tool with the incorrect rake for plastic and force you to go slower.

                    What kind of acrylic / polycarb cast or extruded? Cast is MUCH easier to cut. If you don't know which look at the protection sheet if it's plastic you have extruded if paper cast.

                    What RPM range? If the slowest you can go is 30k RPM then you are going to have to change up your other variables to compensate.

                    What feed range? If your machine can only go a max of 100 IPM then you need to change your other variables.

                    What depth of cut?

                    All these play a significant impact on the answer.

                    I can tell you what we use here in cast acrylic for a .0313" 2 flute cutter. 20K RPM, .0313" per pass plunge, feed 110-130IPM.

                    Now as far as general info goes.

                    Feed:
                    You will need to take at least 2 thou per tooth per rev to keep from melting the material. So basically you need to go 2x how many thousand RPM you are running per tooth. e.g. 20k RPM = 40IPM for a single flute tool and 80IPM for a 2 flute tool. Tool geometry can effect this quite a bit as can your plunge depth.

                    Plunge:
                    You ideally want to take as shallow a pass as possible to increase the feedrate and reduce tool deflection but deep enough that you do not exceed the tools ability to cut the material (chipping or hard packing of the cut). A good rule of thumb is 1 diameter of the tool.

                    I hope that at least gets you started. Let me know if I can be of help.

                    John Torrez
                    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits