Lathes and Mach

  • H Hatem
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2011
      OK - the secret blue smoke got out which was the issue with my stepper in
      another post. Doing my part to stimulate the economy, I am considering
      retrofitting an Intelitek PLM 3000 cnc lathe to run Mach. It is 2 axis with
      an 8 position turret tool changer all run Nema 23 (I believe 150 oz)
      steppers. Spindle motor is 1hp DC and has two pulleys for high / low as well
      as a single slot index for feedback Max rpm is 3600. Currently It ran with
      a proprietary PCI card and controller box. What I like is the repeatability
      and threading. What I don't like is the software - horrible interface and
      limited - ok spoiled by Mach. I retrofitted a mill with Brian's excellent
      tutelage and copious help from the list. I know it can be done but the
      hesitance is the threading issue in Mach and being able to use the 8
      position turret tool post. So the basic questions are -

      Can it be done simply or will the turret tool post cause issues?

      Is the Gecko G540 something to consider?

      Should I be concerned about threading in Mach - yes threading is very
      important.

      I would like to go to servos and understand that would omit the G540 but not
      sure I can get them small enough to fit in the current space in which case
      the steppers are fine.

      Any input? Be honest I can take it.

      Someone really should figure out how to scent the secret blue smoke - it's
      horrible smelling. you could even have a different scent for each axis/
      component for easy troubleshooting.

      All the best, Henry

    • Simon Daykin
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2011
        Henry,

        I converted a Boxford 160TCL a few years back...
        http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,6502.0.html

        Nothing on your list sounds too problematic. How is the spindle currently
        controlled?

        Does the turret run just one way and then back against a stop? That is how
        the Boxford one worked.

        I have only just tried a G540 for the first time on my latest machine. I am
        quite impressed with it. As with all breakout boards though they each have
        their quirks. The one which cought me out on the G540 was the e-stop circuit
        requires the chargepump on when Mach3 is in reset. *or* you can wire it into
        another input aswell but you lose an input.
        One downside to the G540 is that you have 4 stepper drives and so will lose
        the use of 2 outputs (you should only need 3 stepper drivers for your
        lathe). I am sure there is a way around it by removing one of the stepper
        drivers but I haven't needed to yet.
        A sepparate breakout board / spindle card / stepper drivers is probablt a
        more versatile way forward but is also likely to be more expensive.

        Threading in Mach... It seemed to be a bit hit an miss when I had the lathe.
        BUT a lot of work went into it and I think it was fixed for most people. I
        get reasonable threads. The big issue seems to be down to spindle linearity
        and power and the odd quirky PC. I had both an underpowered spindle and a
        quirky PC but with Art & Brians help we managed to get decent enough threads
        out of it.
        I also converted a 240TCL for a friend which had a much more powerful
        spindle and had no issues with threading on that at all. He uses it
        exclusively for making threaded bushes with internal threads and it hasn't
        faultered one (that I know of) (touch wood)

        Simon

        > OK - the secret blue smoke got out which was the issue with my stepper in
        > another post. Doing my part to stimulate the economy, I am considering
        > retrofitting an Intelitek PLM 3000 cnc lathe to run Mach. It is 2 axis
        > with
        > an 8 position turret tool changer all run Nema 23 (I believe 150 oz)
        > steppers. Spindle motor is 1hp DC and has two pulleys for high / low as
        > well
        > as a single slot index for feedback Max rpm is 3600. Currently It ran
        > with
        > a proprietary PCI card and controller box. What I like is the
        > repeatability
        > and threading. What I don't like is the software - horrible interface and
        > limited - ok spoiled by Mach. I retrofitted a mill with Brian's excellent
        > tutelage and copious help from the list. I know it can be done but the
        > hesitance is the threading issue in Mach and being able to use the 8
        > position turret tool post. So the basic questions are -
        >
        > Can it be done simply or will the turret tool post cause issues?
        >
        > Is the Gecko G540 something to consider?
        >
        > Should I be concerned about threading in Mach - yes threading is very
        > important.
        >
        > I would like to go to servos and understand that would omit the G540 but
        > not
        > sure I can get them small enough to fit in the current space in which case
        > the steppers are fine.
        >
        > Any input? Be honest I can take it.
        >
        > Someone really should figure out how to scent the secret blue smoke - it's
        > horrible smelling. you could even have a different scent for each axis/
        > component for easy troubleshooting.
        >
        > All the best, Henry

      • H Hatem
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2011
          Hi Simon,

          Thanks for the thread link - you did a nice job on your machine do you still
          have it?

          The spindle is controlled by a Minerik board with relay and the index disc
          reader comes up to a PC board like encoder then straight out to the computer
          to interface with the PCI card.

          The turret is as you describe it moves one way and backs up against a stop.
          For the life of me I don't understand how the stepper works with this
          setup!?

          Thanks for the description of the G540 - the breakout board etc is probably
          the best way to go on a retrofit. I am going to get a price on repairing
          the control box, 2 of the L297 controller chips blew out and a couple traces
          on the board as well. If the cost is a push I will probably go Mach3. Then
          get ready for the questions ;-)

          Thanks again, All the best, Henry

          > OK - the secret blue smoke got out which was the issue with my stepper in
          > another post. Doing my part to stimulate the economy, I am considering
          > retrofitting an Intelitek PLM 3000 cnc lathe to run Mach. It is 2 axis
          > with
          > an 8 position turret tool changer all run Nema 23 (I believe 150 oz)
          > steppers. Spindle motor is 1hp DC and has two pulleys for high / low as
          > well
          > as a single slot index for feedback Max rpm is 3600. Currently It ran
          > with
          > a proprietary PCI card and controller box. What I like is the
          > repeatability
          > and threading. What I don't like is the software - horrible interface and
          > limited - ok spoiled by Mach. I retrofitted a mill with Brian's excellent
          > tutelage and copious help from the list. I know it can be done but the
          > hesitance is the threading issue in Mach and being able to use the 8
          > position turret tool post. So the basic questions are -
          >
          > Can it be done simply or will the turret tool post cause issues?
          >
          > Is the Gecko G540 something to consider?
          >
          > Should I be concerned about threading in Mach - yes threading is very
          > important.
          >
          > I would like to go to servos and understand that would omit the G540 but
          > not
          > sure I can get them small enough to fit in the current space in which case
          > the steppers are fine.
          >
          > Any input? Be honest I can take it.
          >
          > Someone really should figure out how to scent the secret blue smoke - it's
          > horrible smelling. you could even have a different scent for each axis/
          > component for easy troubleshooting.
          >
          > All the best, Henry

        • Simon Daykin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
            Henry,

            No, I don't still have the Boxford Lathe. It was sitting about not being
            used as I also have a Myford Super7 and most of my jobs are one offs so it
            wasn't worth the hassle setting up the CNC. So I sold it just before
            Christmas, typically a need for it came up 2 weeks later!

            The stepper driven turrets like the one on the Boxford rely on the limited
            torque on steppers to ram it back against the stop and let the stepper miss
            a few steps. It is quite crude but effective.

            Don't be too quick to dismiss the G540, it really is a nice bit of kit. You
            just need to make sure your input output needs match what it does. i.e. you
            need 0-10v output for a spindle etc. You will probably find it is ideal for
            what you need. I have found it to be probably the easiest BoB I have used to
            connect stuff up to (That may be bacause I am getting more profficient)
            Even if you don't go for a G540, I would recommend Geckdrives for steppers.
            The only 2 machine builds I have done with other stepper drivers have
            resulted in dissapointing results. The speeds and torque available from the
            steppers has allways been less than I expected. With Geckodrives stepper
            drivers, I have allways been surprised by the amount or torque available.

            On the router I am currently building (Size 23 NEMA round body steppers)
            people recommended throwing the steppers away and installing newer square
            motors. However, I now have it working and can safely say there is nothing
            wrong with them. I stopped increasing the speed on them at 6m/min axis
            travel as it was getting silly, the machine was jerking from side to side
            with the inertia and they still hadn't missed a step that I could detect.
            The machine only has Y300mm & X500mm and Z130mm axis movement and pressing
            the jog button was getting silly. I have detuned it to 4m/min now while I
            get used to it.

            Thanks

          • H Hatem
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
              Simon - Thanks for the details on the turret.

              The G540 is still an option. It all comes down to cost between fixing the
              current box and going to Mach.

              The Myford Super 7 is a nice piece of equipment, wouldn't mind one myself.

              Your router sounds nice - wouldn't mind hearing more on the design - It is a
              project on my list. I agree on the speeds you can have super fast but a
              small envelope it really doesn't matter as much.

              All the best, Henry

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
                Harry,

                My router is one of these...
                http://www.boxford.co.uk/boxford/docs/products/cncrouter.htm

                Well, it was, it now has Mach3 control and a 2.2kw water cooled spindle.

                Simon

                > Simon - Thanks for the details on the turret.
                >

                > The G540 is still an option. It all comes down to cost between fixing the
                > current box and going to Mach.
                >

                > The Myford Super 7 is a nice piece of equipment, wouldn't mind one myself.
                >

                > Your router sounds nice - wouldn't mind hearing more on the design - It is
                > project on my list. I agree on the speeds you can have super fast but a
                > small envelope it really doesn't matter as much.
                >

                > All the best, Henry

              • H Hatem
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Simon -

                  Nice little package. I wouldn't mind finding one of those to retrofit. Ya
                  know on the benchtop / small cnc's the one thing everyone is missing is
                  supplying enclosures.

                  Thanks for all the help - all the best, Henry