Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Circles and arcs in Mach3

  • Mark Mickelsen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2011
      I create my drawings in MoI and then save them in Adobe Illustrator format
      for import into the Vectric software. I don't know if .ai format converts
      circles and arcs to line segments or not. Is there a better format to use
      for importing into Vectric?

      I don't know anything about the arc fitting in VCP. I'll have to study up
      on that.

      Thanks for your help.
      Mark

      On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM, <CNCWoodworker@...> wrote:

      > Vectric supplies standard posts that use G2 and G3 arcs. If you are
      > creating your drawings in V Carve Pro, than you should be using the arc
      > posts.
      >
      > If however, you're importing drawings that consist of line segments for
      > arcs, than you'll need to use the arc fitting in V Carve Pro to create arcs,
      > or you won't get any in your g-code.
      >
      > Gerry

    • Mark Mickelsen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2011
        Thanks, you guys. I learned how to use the arc fitter and it really makes a
        difference.

        On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM, bennyattwell
        <brendon@...>wrote:

        > if using vcarve pro use the fit curves to selected vectors icon. next to
        > scissors cut in version 6. this turns all selected vectors to arcs.
        > you must do this before creating the toolpath. i use it all the time to
        > reduce file sizes and give smoother cuts
        >

        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "msmickelsen" <msmickelsen@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > The CAM software that I use, V-Carve Pro and Cut 2D, approximate a circle
        > or arc with lots of tiny straight-line moves. But I know that there are
        > gcodes for cutting circles and arcs directly, namely G02 and G03. Does
        > anyone have an opinion as to which does the better, more accurate job? Would
        > it be worth it to try to get the postprocessor to generate G02 or G03 codes
        > instead of the straight-line approximations (I imagine that the arc gcodes
        > are approximations, also.)
        > > Interested to hear what people think on this,
        > > Mark

      • bennyattwell
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2011
          another tip with vcarve. after importing anything.
          highlight any vector that has been imported and choose the node editing tool. it will show you if the vector is made of tiny segments or arcs. i do jobs for signwriters who send me dxf files , always loads of tiny segments so i always convert to arcs.
          after converting, check with node editing tool again- amazing difference!