Kernel speed

  • msmickelsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011
      I am reconfiguring my system from scratch so I understand it better, make the system run as good as it can, and track down a problem.
      Is there any advantage to setting the kernel speed to a higher value, namely 35000hz, if Driver Test says it's okay?
      Thanks,
      Mark
    • art2
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011
        Mark:

        Yes, it does make it a bit smoother. However, going much faster than you need is also detrimental to cpu time .. so if your max speed slider
        isnt maxed at the top, I stay with whatever your suing..generally. I do find though, that 35K is fine for near anyone to use. These days computers are much faster than when I originally designed the speeds. 35K is almost never reported as a problem. 45k is rarely reported..higher than that is more often seen as a problem on some systems.

        www.gearotic.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011
          Usually, the only reason to set kernel speed higher is if you need it in order to reach the speed you want your axes to move at.

          Assuming your PC can handle a higher kernel speed, there "may" be an advantage to using it even if not needed for speed, which would be in the form of smoother motion. This "might" allow you to reach a higher rapid speed using a bigger kernel frequency. Even if that frequency was not needed to be able to set that max speed.

          Andy Wander