Screen Jitters

  • marshland.eng@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2011
      My display was jittering around the 0.1 mm range. Very frustrating. A while ago we had a workshop tidy up and we also serviced the lathe and cleaned out the old coolant from the scales and pickups. I changed the big 12 power pack for a nice small switch mode one. On reassembly the scales jittered.

      I thought that the scales must have still had some residual coolant in them. After a lot of experimenting, I went back to the big old transformer power supply and the problem went away.

      Switch mode noise seems to get through!!!

      Cheers Wallace
    • Dave Shiels
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2011
        Not surprised, I wonder if a cap or 2 on the switcher might not smooth it out a bit.