[mach1mach2cnc] Re: New Lockdown hangs macros. THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!

  • Henrik Olsson
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1 12:27 AM
      Hi Gerry, Biran et all,

      I gave this some time, here's the short story:
      Two single line M6End's:
      Message ("M6End starts here") 'This Works
      MsgBox ("M6End Starts here") 'This hangs Mach3 when CycleStart is
      pressed.

      And here's the long story:
      I tried Gerrys code in a couple of different ways:
      1) In 3.042.040 running from within the editor - works
      2) In 3.042.040 running saved as M123 and run from MDI - works.
      3) In 3.043.022 running from within the editor - works.
      4) In 3.043.022 running saved as M123 from MDI - works.
      5) In 3.043.022 running as M6end with Stop Spindle, Wait for Cycle Start
      option selected and M6T3 called from MDI - fail.

      In case 5 the Toolchange LED flashes (M6Start runs) and the Press Cycle
      Start message is displayed. As soon as I press Cycle Start Mach3 hangs.

      I tried adding some message box statements to the M6End code but it
      looks like it hangs before even actually starting to execute the M6End
      macro.

      I then tried this simple M6End macro:
      Sub Main()
      MsgBox ("M6End starts now")
      End Sub

      Even this fails. As soon as Cycle Start is pressed Mach3 hangs. Looking
      at a couple of other macros they are usually lacking Sub/End Sub so, for
      the heck of it, I tried removing those too making all that's in the
      macro:

      MsgBox ("M6End starts now")

      But this too locks up Mach3 as soon as Cycle Start is pressed.
      Everything runs from within the editor AND when saved as M123 and called
      from MDI - it's just when it's in the M6End macro it locks up.

      Then I tried this in the M6End macro:
      Message ("M6End starts now")

      And THIS time Mach3 does NOT lock up.

      Hope it helps!

      /Henrik.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1 5:35 AM
        We worked on this for about 2 hours with Andrew and we where not able to
        find the problem. The script makes it to the stage where it should
        execute and locks up. It is holding on the wait for completion of the M6
        macro. Andrew is working on clearing up his mail from the night and as
        soon as that is done he will be working on this again to see if we can
        find the real problem. We should be able to fix it, it is doing it here
        on the Dev computer :)

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1 6:01 AM
          Well after a good nights sleep I know what the trouble is and why it is
          working for Dave and not Gerry. Dave is using a script to call the Cycle
          start and Gerry is using a Button code. The Script is able to hold and
          wait for the M6 end script to end where the button code locks the system
          up. So I need to change the way it looks to see if the thread has ended.
          I don't think this will be a big change externally but will take me 1/2
          a day to work out in the code.

        • CNCWoodworker@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1 6:02 AM
            Thanks Henrik.

            I also found that as soon as I added a MsgBox Statement, it would freeze.

            But the code I posted last night has no MsgBox, and still freezes.

            Gerry

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1 6:05 AM
              What button Code? I'm just calling an M6?

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1 6:21 AM
                Hi Gerry,
                I know, the code you posted last night locks up here as well - without
                any MsgBox statement.

                I was just trying to narrow it down and at one point I thought having
                ANYTHING (even a single line) in the M6End would make it lock up but
                then found that having Message("Whatever") works while having
                MsgBox("Whatever") doesn't - as the only line in the M6End macro.

                Hopefully Brian will be able to find/fix it.

                /Henrik.

                On 1 feb 2011 15:02 <CNCWoodworker@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Henrik.
                >
                > I also found that as soon as I added a MsgBox Statement, it would
                > freeze.
                >
                > But the code I posted last night has no MsgBox, and still freezes.
                >
                > Gerry

              • mvcalypso
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1 8:09 AM
                  HI Brian,
                  The mechanism used to invoke the cycle start function of mach doesn't seem to be a determining factor.
                  I was using 3.43.22 and 1024.set for testing.

                  OK, clicking on the cycle start button in 1024 invokes mach function 0 - cycle start. I think this is what you meant when you said "button code". However, that action is common between cases that hang and cases that don't. For example the stock mach m6start and m6end scripts work fine in 3.43.22 - and the stock m6end is invoked in the exact same way gerry's hang test case is invoked.

                  To me that indicates that the contents of the m6end script appear to be the significant variable at play, rather than whether func 0 is invoked from a button or a DoOEMButton(1000) or DOButton(0) is the call into Mach.

                  I played with Gerrys hang example a bit - and while I'm not sure what the exact issue is, it does not seem to be the result of a single line of code in the m6end script. Each given line can be included in examples that run and examples that cause a hang - so it looks to me more like a combination of the code lines - but the common combination was not obvious (at least to me). For example: in some things I tried, a msgbox line would cause a hang, in other cases the msgox was displayed.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1 12:11 PM
                    It was here for the latest DEV version :) I know because I was testing
                    with 1024 ... I think it should be fixed. I sent a copy too Gerry and
                    as soon as I get the green light from him I will upload for you to test
                    as well and hope that it is all done.

                    mvcalypso wrote:
                    > HI Brian,
                    > The mechanism used to invoke the cycle start function of mach doesn't seem to be a determining factor.
                    > I was using 3.43.22 and 1024.set for testing.
                    >
                    > OK, clicking on the cycle start button in 1024 invokes mach function 0 - cycle start. I think this is what you meant when you said "button code". However, that action is common between cases that hang and cases that don't. For example the stock mach m6start and m6end scripts work fine in 3.43.22 - and the stock m6end is invoked in the exact same way gerry's hang test case is invoked.
                    >
                    > To me that indicates that the contents of the m6end script appear to be the significant variable at play, rather than whether func 0 is invoked from a button or a DoOEMButton(1000) or DOButton(0) is the call into Mach.
                    >
                    > I played with Gerrys hang example a bit - and while I'm not sure what the exact issue is, it does not seem to be the result of a single line of code in the m6end script. Each given line can be included in examples that run and examples that cause a hang - so it looks to me more like a combination of the code lines - but the common combination was not obvious (at least to me). For example: in some things I tried, a msgbox line would cause a hang, in other cases the msgox was displayed.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker <brianb@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Well after a good nights sleep I know what the trouble is and why it is
                    >> working for Dave and not Gerry. Dave is using a script to call the Cycle
                    >> start and Gerry is using a Button code. The Script is able to hold and
                    >> wait for the M6 end script to end where the button code locks the system
                    >> up. So I need to change the way it looks to see if the thread has ended.
                    >> I don't think this will be a big change externally but will take me 1/2
                    >> a day to work out in the code.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks
                    >> Brian
                    >>

                    >> Brian Barker wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> We worked on this for about 2 hours with Andrew and we where not able to
                    >>> find the problem. The script makes it to the stage where it should
                    >>> execute and locks up. It is holding on the wait for completion of the M6
                    >>> macro. Andrew is working on clearing up his mail from the night and as
                    >>> soon as that is done he will be working on this again to see if we can
                    >>> find the real problem. We should be able to fix it, it is doing it here
                    >>> on the Dev computer :)
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks
                    >>> Brian

                  • mvcalypso
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1 11:00 PM
                      Brain -
                      OK, I'll check it out when you make a new rev available.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2 5:23 AM
                        Gerry tested it and seemed to think it was doing what he liked so I will
                        make the new rev available today.

                      • CNCWoodworker@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2 6:01 AM
                          I didn't test it as thoroughly as Henrik, but it runs my M6 Macros fine now. :-)