RE: [mach1mach2cnc] I find I have to move from Mach to EMC

  • Dr Mark Vaughan
    Message 1 of 66 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi Steve

      I never completely finished the lathe with smooth stepper, the job we built
      it for changed and then we nicked the PC for another machine so it sits
      waiting for time to be spent on it.

      But while it was running I never experienced any noise problems with it
      after I used a separate 5V supply rather than the USB one. I have the PC in
      the same cabinet, so any ground loop between PC and smooth stepper is short,
      I then run standard opto isolated CPC11D parallel port breakout board, to
      avoid any loops on that side. And drivers with relays off the second port to
      control other functions so that is isolated. Steppers have in built opto
      isolation and I used separate DC DC converter for the analogue to the VFD.
      It all seemed to work noise free and threading worked though my stepper on
      the cross slide was a bit weak to always pull out of the thread without
      missing steps.

      I know your an experienced builder and used to debugging most problems, but
      from my smooth stepper experience noise never really raised it's head, so
      something sounds odd with your setup. Did you try separate supply or use
      PCUSB supply, and was the PC very close and on the same supply so at same
      ground potential ?

      Regs Mark

      Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

      Managing Director

      Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

      Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

      Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

      Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

      RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

      Message 66 of 66 , Jul 10, 2011