Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: making e-stop: "it´s not able to reset with second click"

  • Leslie Newell
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
      A much better way of doing this is to set it up so you have to press a
      physical button to enable the machine. It should not be possible to
      enable the machine until this button is pressed. It is quite easy to
      implement as part of your main e-stop power relay/contactor circuit.

      Either set it up so you have to press this button plus click on the
      button in Mach or get the button to also trigger an input to Mach that
      tells it to turn on.

      That way there is no way of turning on the machine by accident. I have
      this setup on both my Mach controlled mill and EMC controlled lathe.

      Les

      On 30/11/10 23:37, mach1cnc wrote:

      > thank you for the advice!
      >
      > yes, it´s shure that you need an physical e-stop, to
      > ensure the stop of axis and spindle move.
      >
      > The only problem is, that this wonderful buttons on the
      > software screen look like real buttons on real machines....
      >
      > And a user, who never had to program anything, uses these
      > stuff like it pretends to work.... (-;
      >
      > Therefore I would like to have a higher grade of security if
      > someone uses the computer and reacts to a strange problem....
      > ... and wants to stop what ever is running...
      > in such moments you use what you see... and hit what you have
      > in your hand.... e.g. the button on a touchscreen.
      >
      > I want to get a better reliability of this button.
      > If you click it once, it should stay in activated mode, until
      > you click an other button.... this will not be an REAL e-stop.
      > But if it looks like something like that, and you can use it to
      > stop motion, so it should have a better performance.
      > and it should work logical. and toggling between to states
      > is not logical for important functions on real machines.
      >
      > what about ideas how to program another behavior of this button?
      > please back to my first post.
      > thanks

    • mach1cnc
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
        Thank You Henrik!

        using a big professional switch to hit on - locking it with relay and
        stopping all axis drivers and spindle motor and so on. That´s an very old basic standard, since years befor any software screens existed - these are basics - We all know that, i think.
        that´s no problem.

        If I do a on screen reset to the software, I get "e stop button pressed" message, or "emergency mode active"

        an second reset will reset again, and set software to normal....

        I don´t want to have these two functions with two clicks in one button....
        and I can´t or will not use this reset function with an input from an professional
        "unlock e-stop" or "restart" or "reset" button, if the next state will change to an software-emergency (2xreset = emergency)

        If I use the reset function as Indicator, why do I get the information
        "e stop button pressed" when I only used the screen "reset" without really having hit my big physical all off button....
        people can think that the machine will not be able to move now..
        try to change tools an so on.

        thats my problem, and I think it´s not unimportant..and worth discussing....because i don´t like to fool (:

        sometimes it is useful to talk about naming conventions...
        I looked over some mach screens.... red button with stop on it
        (download section) (-:
        but what about software screens for machines:
        should they have NO buttons to stop something?
        it would be easy (-:

        sorry, i only wanted to get a small hint to program the simple
        macro for an reset-button with only one function....
        and I´m glad about this active discussion!

        thanks for your patience
        hoping to get the old style of communication
        back into this forum (:
        and for some actual discussions in this yahoo group:
        what is the topic in this forum ???
        who are moderators who can screen the postings?
        timmi
      • Henrik Olsson
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
          Hi Timmy,

          If you want to do it with two on-screen buttons you need to remove the
          ESTOP/RESET button from all the screens and replace it with two buttons,
          lets call them ON and OFF respectively.

          In the ON button you put a macro like:

          If GetOemLED(800) = True then

          DoOEMButton(1021)

          End If

          And in the OFF button you put a macro like:

          If GetOEMLED(800) = False then

          DoOEMButton(1021)

          End If

          This interlocks the two buttons so that the ON button only works when Mach3
          is in ESTOP and the reverse for the OFF button.

          Now, you can achieve the same thing with the hardware aproach I outlined
          earlier. What you need are two physical inputs, one for the E-stop signal
          back into Mach3 (which I believe you already have) and one general purpose
          input or OEMTrigger. The general purpose input should be wired so it goes
          “true” when you push your physical enable switch (the one that enables the
          main contactor which then latches it self on).

          The rest is done with a bit of logic inside Mach3 called a BRAIN and it
          makes it behave the same way. You can push the enable switch as many times
          as you like, it will not “toggle” Mach3 in and out of ESTOP. You could
          then, if you like, remove the actual on screen reset-button and just keep
          the indicator LED.

          If you want to get real fancy you could integrate the chargepump function of
          Mach3 as well making it impossible to enable the hardware when Mach3 isn’t
          running.

          /Henrik.

          _____

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
            One thing I have been thinking of is what does this two button approach gain
            you? Hitting the ‘Reset’ button in Mach does nothing by itself, no movement
            is generated. You have to press the ‘Start’ button before Mach will do
            anything (unless you have a macro pump running.)

            I’m just not sure that a two button reset actually accomplishes anything.

            Jeff Birt

            Soigeneris.com

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2010
              Hi jeff,

              thank you,
              shure, not everyone has the same configuration of art`s great software (-;
              and in this forum I have found a lot of ideas which I didn´t needed
              within the timeframe in which they were created...
              ...some weeks later I did remember them and searched hours like crazy to find them again (:
              I like the different discussions and inputs of this great forum (:

              Did You ever try to drive one of these stylish 2wheeling segways?
              I had to sign a paper before using it, that I can die with this vehicle - without any consequences for the city (:
              And I was very glad, that this little tool didn`t reset twice while I was on...

              to your question... I think reset has a little connection with the
              enable function, which could be coupled with elctromagnetic brakes and more...

              such details are from no interest for the most users, we have to
              work a little abstract and general here, or these texts would overflow (:

              I think the innovation speed of south east asia is a kind of mental
              programming: "Let´s try together and think about how do it - and produce it soon -
              perhaps it could be a good new idea"

              thank you and best snowing regards
              timmi

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 8, 2010
                Hi Henrik!

                thank you for the code snippets,
                the off solution works great.
                My off button works perfect (:

                Having some problems to get the ON code working,

                If GetOemLED(800) = True then

                DoOEMButton(1021)

                End If

                does not seem to change anything....

                perhaps I did some failure in coding ?

                do you think there could be another oemLED code
                which could be useful?

                THANKS
                timmi

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 8, 2010
                  Hi Timmi,
                  That is weird, I tried here before posting it and just tried it again -
                  needless to say it works at my end.

                  When Mach3 is in "E-stop" (the border around the RESET button blinks)
                  and you click the "ON-button" the GetOEMLED(800) returns TRUE and the
                  code should then "press" the RESET button which takes Mach3 out of
                  "E-STOP". If it's not in "E-stop" the GetOEMLED(800) returns False so
                  the code does NOT "press" the Reset button. That's how it's supposed to
                  work..... (The logic for the off button is exactly the same but
                  reversed).

                  I'm surprised it doesn't work.

                  Can you put this line:
                  MsgBox(GetOEMLED(800))
                  At the top of the ON macro and let me know what the message box says
                  when you click the button. When the border around the RESET button
                  blinks it should say True and when it's not blinking it should say
                  False.

                  /Henrik.

                  On 9 dec 2010 01:16 "mach1cnc" <cnc@...> <cnc@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Henrik!
                  >
                  > thank you for the code snippets,
                  > the off solution works great.
                  > My off button works perfect (:
                  >
                  > Having some problems to get the ON code working,
                  >
                  > If GetOemLED(800) = True then
                  >
                  > DoOEMButton(1021)
                  >
                  > End If
                  >
                  > does not seem to change anything....
                  >
                  > perhaps I did some failure in coding ?
                  >
                  > do you think there could be another oemLED code
                  > which could be useful?
                  >
                  > THANKS
                  > timmi
                  >
                  > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Timmy,
                  > >
                  > > If you want to do it with two on-screen buttons you need to remove
                  > > the
                  > > ESTOP/RESET button from all the screens and replace it with two
                  > > buttons,
                  > > lets call them ON and OFF respectively.
                  > >

                  > > In the ON button you put a macro like:
                  > >

                  > > If GetOemLED(800) = True then
                  > >
                  > > DoOEMButton(1021)
                  > >
                  > > End If
                  > >

                  > > And in the OFF button you put a macro like:
                  > >

                  > > If GetOEMLED(800) = False then
                  > >
                  > > DoOEMButton(1021)
                  > >
                  > > End If
                  > >

                  > > This interlocks the two buttons so that the ON button only works
                  > > when Mach3
                  > > is in ESTOP and the reverse for the OFF button.
                  > >

                  > > Now, you can achieve the same thing with the hardware aproach I
                  > > outlined
                  > > earlier. What you need are two physical inputs, one for the E-stop
                  > > signal
                  > > back into Mach3 (which I believe you already have) and one general
                  > > purpose
                  > > input or OEMTrigger. The general purpose input should be wired so it
                  > > goes
                  > > "true" when you push your physical enable switch (the one that
                  > > enables the
                  > > main contactor which then latches it self on).

                • Bernie Walker
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                    Hi Henrik

                    Are you sure that if you read a blinking led GetOEMLED(800) it
                    will always return true?

                    I would expect it only to return true when it is actually lit
                    and false when off i.e. 50% of the time True and 50% False.

                    Which would explain why it worked when you tested it, but will
                    on average only work 50% of the time.

                    Cheers

                    Bernie

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                      Hi Henrik,

                      if i´m hitting the on button while reset LED (OEM800 or 19)
                      is not flashing >>> a small window says MacroScript1 FALSE

                      If i´m hitting while reset LED is flashing, nothing happens.
                      No information window, no action )-: it does not say "true"...

                      I tested this with GetOEMLED(800) and (19) - all the same ...
                      Only the "System FUnction "reset" button works normal... but that´s
                      no oem code for the macro ):

                      perhaps I have a crazy computer (:
                      thanks
                      timmi

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Timmi,
                      > That is weird, I tried here before posting it and just tried it again -
                      > needless to say it works at my end.
                      >
                      > When Mach3 is in "E-stop" (the border around the RESET button blinks)
                      > and you click the "ON-button" the GetOEMLED(800) returns TRUE and the
                      > code should then "press" the RESET button which takes Mach3 out of
                      > "E-STOP". If it's not in "E-stop" the GetOEMLED(800) returns False so
                      > the code does NOT "press" the Reset button. That's how it's supposed to
                      > work..... (The logic for the off button is exactly the same but
                      > reversed).
                      >
                      > I'm surprised it doesn't work.
                      >
                      > Can you put this line:
                      > MsgBox(GetOEMLED(800))
                      > At the top of the ON macro and let me know what the message box says
                      > when you click the button. When the border around the RESET button
                      > blinks it should say True and when it's not blinking it should say
                      > False.
                      >
                      > /Henrik.
                    • Henrik Olsson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Hi Timmi,
                        Are you sure that the script is saved back into the screenset? What
                        happens if you instead of pressing the on screen button execute the
                        script with the "play button" within the script editor?

                        I just sent you a dummy screenset that works here.

                        Bernie,
                        That's a good thought but the blinking does not actually have any effect
                        on the returned state of the "signal". The signal is either true or
                        false and the blinking comes from the property of the on screen "LED".

                        /Henrik.

                        On 9 dec 2010 10:20 "mach1cnc" <cnc@...> <cnc@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Henrik,
                        >
                        > if i´m hitting the on button while reset LED (OEM800 or 19)
                        > is not flashing >>> a small window says MacroScript1 FALSE
                        >
                        > If i´m hitting while reset LED is flashing, nothing happens.
                        > No information window, no action )-: it does not say "true"...
                        >
                        > I tested this with GetOEMLED(800) and (19) - all the same ...
                        > Only the "System FUnction "reset" button works normal... but that´s
                        > no oem code for the macro ):
                        >
                        > perhaps I have a crazy computer (:
                        > thanks
                        > timmi
                        >
                        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Timmi,
                        > > That is weird, I tried here before posting it and just tried it
                        > > again -
                        > > needless to say it works at my end.
                        > >
                        > > When Mach3 is in "E-stop" (the border around the RESET button
                        > > blinks)
                        > > and you click the "ON-button" the GetOEMLED(800) returns TRUE and
                        > > the
                        > > code should then "press" the RESET button which takes Mach3 out of
                        > > "E-STOP". If it's not in "E-stop" the GetOEMLED(800) returns False
                        > > so
                        > > the code does NOT "press" the Reset button. That's how it's supposed
                        > > work..... (The logic for the off button is exactly the same but
                        > > reversed).
                        > >
                        > > I'm surprised it doesn't work.
                        > >
                        > > Can you put this line:
                        > > MsgBox(GetOEMLED(800))
                        > > At the top of the ON macro and let me know what the message box says
                        > > when you click the button. When the border around the RESET button
                        > > blinks it should say True and when it's not blinking it should say
                        > > False.
                        > >
                        > > /Henrik.

                      • mach1cnc
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                          Hi Henrik,

                          the macro works beautiful... in the script editor (:
                          I run the editor on top of my working screen - it resets... yes, it shows true, than resets..:)
                          my theory:
                          the problem is, in my running screenset, all the buttons seems to
                          be deactivated if reset is active and the led is blinking...
                          I can´t click anything .... only reset itself (: so my ON button
                          doesn´t accept anything --- and is not working

                          cannot imgagine why this is here ...

                          thank you
                          timmi

                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Timmi,
                          > Are you sure that the script is saved back into the screenset? What
                          > happens if you instead of pressing the on screen button execute the
                          > script with the "play button" within the script editor?
                          >
                          > I just sent you a dummy screenset that works here.
                          >

                          > Bernie,
                          > That's a good thought but the blinking does not actually have any effect
                          > on the returned state of the "signal". The signal is either true or
                          > false and the blinking comes from the property of the on screen "LED".
                          >
                          > /Henrik.

                        • Henrik Olsson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                            Hi Timmi,
                            That's even weirder..... Did you get the screenset I sent you off list?
                            Does IT work? (Like I said, it works here.)

                            /Henrik.