[mach1mach2cnc] Re: making e-stop: " it´s not able to r eset with second click"

  • Henrik Olsson
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2010
      Hi,
      Relying on software for E-stop is a no-no, we all agree on that.
      Changing the behaviour of the on screen reset-button according to OP's
      specification does not make it a safe E-stop but i can't see how it'll
      make it more unsafe than what it already is. The problem is that the on
      screen-button keeps getting called E-stop....which it isn't

      Timmi,
      It's possible to do what you want but it'll involve editing all the
      screens, you have the basic idea outlined correct. If that is really
      what you want we can work it out but it would, IMHO, be a better aproach
      to wire your hardware E-stop system in such a way that the button/switch
      you use to "reset" or "latch" the main contactor/relay also signals
      Mach3 to "reset". That way the hardware E-stop system is fully
      integrated with Mach3 and you basically never have to use the on screen
      Reset-button. You simply twist/release the E-stop switch and press the
      "enable switch", the on screen button becames an indicator instead of a
      button.

      /Henrik.

      On 1 dec 2010 01:03 "hemsworthlad" <d.s.armstrong@...>
      <d.s.armstrong@...> wrote:

      Cant imagine many folks round here helping you design something so
      unsafe. . . My suggestion is provide them with BIGGER E-STOPS
      BUTTONS.!!!

    • Leslie Newell
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
        A much better way of doing this is to set it up so you have to press a
        physical button to enable the machine. It should not be possible to
        enable the machine until this button is pressed. It is quite easy to
        implement as part of your main e-stop power relay/contactor circuit.

        Either set it up so you have to press this button plus click on the
        button in Mach or get the button to also trigger an input to Mach that
        tells it to turn on.

        That way there is no way of turning on the machine by accident. I have
        this setup on both my Mach controlled mill and EMC controlled lathe.

        Les

        On 30/11/10 23:37, mach1cnc wrote:

        > thank you for the advice!
        >
        > yes, it´s shure that you need an physical e-stop, to
        > ensure the stop of axis and spindle move.
        >
        > The only problem is, that this wonderful buttons on the
        > software screen look like real buttons on real machines....
        >
        > And a user, who never had to program anything, uses these
        > stuff like it pretends to work.... (-;
        >
        > Therefore I would like to have a higher grade of security if
        > someone uses the computer and reacts to a strange problem....
        > ... and wants to stop what ever is running...
        > in such moments you use what you see... and hit what you have
        > in your hand.... e.g. the button on a touchscreen.
        >
        > I want to get a better reliability of this button.
        > If you click it once, it should stay in activated mode, until
        > you click an other button.... this will not be an REAL e-stop.
        > But if it looks like something like that, and you can use it to
        > stop motion, so it should have a better performance.
        > and it should work logical. and toggling between to states
        > is not logical for important functions on real machines.
        >
        > what about ideas how to program another behavior of this button?
        > please back to my first post.
        > thanks

      • mach1cnc
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
          Thank You Henrik!

          using a big professional switch to hit on - locking it with relay and
          stopping all axis drivers and spindle motor and so on. That´s an very old basic standard, since years befor any software screens existed - these are basics - We all know that, i think.
          that´s no problem.

          If I do a on screen reset to the software, I get "e stop button pressed" message, or "emergency mode active"

          an second reset will reset again, and set software to normal....

          I don´t want to have these two functions with two clicks in one button....
          and I can´t or will not use this reset function with an input from an professional
          "unlock e-stop" or "restart" or "reset" button, if the next state will change to an software-emergency (2xreset = emergency)

          If I use the reset function as Indicator, why do I get the information
          "e stop button pressed" when I only used the screen "reset" without really having hit my big physical all off button....
          people can think that the machine will not be able to move now..
          try to change tools an so on.

          thats my problem, and I think it´s not unimportant..and worth discussing....because i don´t like to fool (:

          sometimes it is useful to talk about naming conventions...
          I looked over some mach screens.... red button with stop on it
          (download section) (-:
          but what about software screens for machines:
          should they have NO buttons to stop something?
          it would be easy (-:

          sorry, i only wanted to get a small hint to program the simple
          macro for an reset-button with only one function....
          and I´m glad about this active discussion!

          thanks for your patience
          hoping to get the old style of communication
          back into this forum (:
          and for some actual discussions in this yahoo group:
          what is the topic in this forum ???
          who are moderators who can screen the postings?
          timmi
        • Henrik Olsson
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
            Hi Timmy,

            If you want to do it with two on-screen buttons you need to remove the
            ESTOP/RESET button from all the screens and replace it with two buttons,
            lets call them ON and OFF respectively.

            In the ON button you put a macro like:

            If GetOemLED(800) = True then

            DoOEMButton(1021)

            End If

            And in the OFF button you put a macro like:

            If GetOEMLED(800) = False then

            DoOEMButton(1021)

            End If

            This interlocks the two buttons so that the ON button only works when Mach3
            is in ESTOP and the reverse for the OFF button.

            Now, you can achieve the same thing with the hardware aproach I outlined
            earlier. What you need are two physical inputs, one for the E-stop signal
            back into Mach3 (which I believe you already have) and one general purpose
            input or OEMTrigger. The general purpose input should be wired so it goes
            “true” when you push your physical enable switch (the one that enables the
            main contactor which then latches it self on).

            The rest is done with a bit of logic inside Mach3 called a BRAIN and it
            makes it behave the same way. You can push the enable switch as many times
            as you like, it will not “toggle” Mach3 in and out of ESTOP. You could
            then, if you like, remove the actual on screen reset-button and just keep
            the indicator LED.

            If you want to get real fancy you could integrate the chargepump function of
            Mach3 as well making it impossible to enable the hardware when Mach3 isn’t
            running.

            /Henrik.

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
              One thing I have been thinking of is what does this two button approach gain
              you? Hitting the ‘Reset’ button in Mach does nothing by itself, no movement
              is generated. You have to press the ‘Start’ button before Mach will do
              anything (unless you have a macro pump running.)

              I’m just not sure that a two button reset actually accomplishes anything.

              Jeff Birt

              Soigeneris.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2010
                Hi jeff,

                thank you,
                shure, not everyone has the same configuration of art`s great software (-;
                and in this forum I have found a lot of ideas which I didn´t needed
                within the timeframe in which they were created...
                ...some weeks later I did remember them and searched hours like crazy to find them again (:
                I like the different discussions and inputs of this great forum (:

                Did You ever try to drive one of these stylish 2wheeling segways?
                I had to sign a paper before using it, that I can die with this vehicle - without any consequences for the city (:
                And I was very glad, that this little tool didn`t reset twice while I was on...

                to your question... I think reset has a little connection with the
                enable function, which could be coupled with elctromagnetic brakes and more...

                such details are from no interest for the most users, we have to
                work a little abstract and general here, or these texts would overflow (:

                I think the innovation speed of south east asia is a kind of mental
                programming: "Let´s try together and think about how do it - and produce it soon -
                perhaps it could be a good new idea"

                thank you and best snowing regards
                timmi

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 8, 2010
                  Hi Henrik!

                  thank you for the code snippets,
                  the off solution works great.
                  My off button works perfect (:

                  Having some problems to get the ON code working,

                  If GetOemLED(800) = True then

                  DoOEMButton(1021)

                  End If

                  does not seem to change anything....

                  perhaps I did some failure in coding ?

                  do you think there could be another oemLED code
                  which could be useful?

                  THANKS
                  timmi

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 8, 2010
                    Hi Timmi,
                    That is weird, I tried here before posting it and just tried it again -
                    needless to say it works at my end.

                    When Mach3 is in "E-stop" (the border around the RESET button blinks)
                    and you click the "ON-button" the GetOEMLED(800) returns TRUE and the
                    code should then "press" the RESET button which takes Mach3 out of
                    "E-STOP". If it's not in "E-stop" the GetOEMLED(800) returns False so
                    the code does NOT "press" the Reset button. That's how it's supposed to
                    work..... (The logic for the off button is exactly the same but
                    reversed).

                    I'm surprised it doesn't work.

                    Can you put this line:
                    MsgBox(GetOEMLED(800))
                    At the top of the ON macro and let me know what the message box says
                    when you click the button. When the border around the RESET button
                    blinks it should say True and when it's not blinking it should say
                    False.

                    /Henrik.

                    On 9 dec 2010 01:16 "mach1cnc" <cnc@...> <cnc@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Henrik!
                    >
                    > thank you for the code snippets,
                    > the off solution works great.
                    > My off button works perfect (:
                    >
                    > Having some problems to get the ON code working,
                    >
                    > If GetOemLED(800) = True then
                    >
                    > DoOEMButton(1021)
                    >
                    > End If
                    >
                    > does not seem to change anything....
                    >
                    > perhaps I did some failure in coding ?
                    >
                    > do you think there could be another oemLED code
                    > which could be useful?
                    >
                    > THANKS
                    > timmi
                    >
                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Timmy,
                    > >
                    > > If you want to do it with two on-screen buttons you need to remove
                    > > the
                    > > ESTOP/RESET button from all the screens and replace it with two
                    > > buttons,
                    > > lets call them ON and OFF respectively.
                    > >

                    > > In the ON button you put a macro like:
                    > >

                    > > If GetOemLED(800) = True then
                    > >
                    > > DoOEMButton(1021)
                    > >
                    > > End If
                    > >

                    > > And in the OFF button you put a macro like:
                    > >

                    > > If GetOEMLED(800) = False then
                    > >
                    > > DoOEMButton(1021)
                    > >
                    > > End If
                    > >

                    > > This interlocks the two buttons so that the ON button only works
                    > > when Mach3
                    > > is in ESTOP and the reverse for the OFF button.
                    > >

                    > > Now, you can achieve the same thing with the hardware aproach I
                    > > outlined
                    > > earlier. What you need are two physical inputs, one for the E-stop
                    > > signal
                    > > back into Mach3 (which I believe you already have) and one general
                    > > purpose
                    > > input or OEMTrigger. The general purpose input should be wired so it
                    > > goes
                    > > "true" when you push your physical enable switch (the one that
                    > > enables the
                    > > main contactor which then latches it self on).

                  • Bernie Walker
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                      Hi Henrik

                      Are you sure that if you read a blinking led GetOEMLED(800) it
                      will always return true?

                      I would expect it only to return true when it is actually lit
                      and false when off i.e. 50% of the time True and 50% False.

                      Which would explain why it worked when you tested it, but will
                      on average only work 50% of the time.

                      Cheers

                      Bernie

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Hi Henrik,

                        if i´m hitting the on button while reset LED (OEM800 or 19)
                        is not flashing >>> a small window says MacroScript1 FALSE

                        If i´m hitting while reset LED is flashing, nothing happens.
                        No information window, no action )-: it does not say "true"...

                        I tested this with GetOEMLED(800) and (19) - all the same ...
                        Only the "System FUnction "reset" button works normal... but that´s
                        no oem code for the macro ):

                        perhaps I have a crazy computer (:
                        thanks
                        timmi

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Timmi,
                        > That is weird, I tried here before posting it and just tried it again -
                        > needless to say it works at my end.
                        >
                        > When Mach3 is in "E-stop" (the border around the RESET button blinks)
                        > and you click the "ON-button" the GetOEMLED(800) returns TRUE and the
                        > code should then "press" the RESET button which takes Mach3 out of
                        > "E-STOP". If it's not in "E-stop" the GetOEMLED(800) returns False so
                        > the code does NOT "press" the Reset button. That's how it's supposed to
                        > work..... (The logic for the off button is exactly the same but
                        > reversed).
                        >
                        > I'm surprised it doesn't work.
                        >
                        > Can you put this line:
                        > MsgBox(GetOEMLED(800))
                        > At the top of the ON macro and let me know what the message box says
                        > when you click the button. When the border around the RESET button
                        > blinks it should say True and when it's not blinking it should say
                        > False.
                        >
                        > /Henrik.
                      • Henrik Olsson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                          Hi Timmi,
                          Are you sure that the script is saved back into the screenset? What
                          happens if you instead of pressing the on screen button execute the
                          script with the "play button" within the script editor?

                          I just sent you a dummy screenset that works here.

                          Bernie,
                          That's a good thought but the blinking does not actually have any effect
                          on the returned state of the "signal". The signal is either true or
                          false and the blinking comes from the property of the on screen "LED".

                          /Henrik.

                          On 9 dec 2010 10:20 "mach1cnc" <cnc@...> <cnc@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Henrik,
                          >
                          > if i´m hitting the on button while reset LED (OEM800 or 19)
                          > is not flashing >>> a small window says MacroScript1 FALSE
                          >
                          > If i´m hitting while reset LED is flashing, nothing happens.
                          > No information window, no action )-: it does not say "true"...
                          >
                          > I tested this with GetOEMLED(800) and (19) - all the same ...
                          > Only the "System FUnction "reset" button works normal... but that´s
                          > no oem code for the macro ):
                          >
                          > perhaps I have a crazy computer (:
                          > thanks
                          > timmi
                          >
                          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Timmi,
                          > > That is weird, I tried here before posting it and just tried it
                          > > again -
                          > > needless to say it works at my end.
                          > >
                          > > When Mach3 is in "E-stop" (the border around the RESET button
                          > > blinks)
                          > > and you click the "ON-button" the GetOEMLED(800) returns TRUE and
                          > > the
                          > > code should then "press" the RESET button which takes Mach3 out of
                          > > "E-STOP". If it's not in "E-stop" the GetOEMLED(800) returns False
                          > > so
                          > > the code does NOT "press" the Reset button. That's how it's supposed
                          > > work..... (The logic for the off button is exactly the same but
                          > > reversed).
                          > >
                          > > I'm surprised it doesn't work.
                          > >
                          > > Can you put this line:
                          > > MsgBox(GetOEMLED(800))
                          > > At the top of the ON macro and let me know what the message box says
                          > > when you click the button. When the border around the RESET button
                          > > blinks it should say True and when it's not blinking it should say
                          > > False.
                          > >
                          > > /Henrik.

                        • mach1cnc
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                            Hi Henrik,

                            the macro works beautiful... in the script editor (:
                            I run the editor on top of my working screen - it resets... yes, it shows true, than resets..:)
                            my theory:
                            the problem is, in my running screenset, all the buttons seems to
                            be deactivated if reset is active and the led is blinking...
                            I can´t click anything .... only reset itself (: so my ON button
                            doesn´t accept anything --- and is not working

                            cannot imgagine why this is here ...

                            thank you
                            timmi

                            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Timmi,
                            > Are you sure that the script is saved back into the screenset? What
                            > happens if you instead of pressing the on screen button execute the
                            > script with the "play button" within the script editor?
                            >
                            > I just sent you a dummy screenset that works here.
                            >

                            > Bernie,
                            > That's a good thought but the blinking does not actually have any effect
                            > on the returned state of the "signal". The signal is either true or
                            > false and the blinking comes from the property of the on screen "LED".
                            >
                            > /Henrik.

                          • Henrik Olsson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
                              Hi Timmi,
                              That's even weirder..... Did you get the screenset I sent you off list?
                              Does IT work? (Like I said, it works here.)

                              /Henrik.