Re: [mach1mach2cnc] question for brian

  • CNC 6-axis Designs
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2010
      Brian .. should this work with the SS ?
      Question is:
      Should this work with teh SS ? SetParam("AccelerationX", 250)

      It would be a great ! help, totally excellent, if it did.

      At issue is torque on a servo-indexed spindle in lathe.
      When/if I swap axis (to control the subspindle) for a live tool, the
      acceleration characteristics are totally different for a collet/tool
      than an 8" chuck ... ;)

      So the acceleratiom setting will allow changing the acc for the
      subspindle/spindle.
      However, I suspect that the SS deals with the acceleration internally.

      Unless/until we get the maybe someday arriving RunAsSpindle (axis) (for
      continuous non-co-ordinated motion) live tools and subspindles are not
      really practical with the SS.
      Really hoping for a good plugin for the SS ;)

      PS
      Cant test myself now, sorry.
      Had to move, with all tools, 20 km, and all tools are in boxes crates now.
      Last truckload 4/4 still to come ... and will be a week
      unpacking/setting up at least.

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hello,
        It should work :) I haven't tested it but this is how the SetSteps per
        unit button works on the Settings page..

        Good luck unpacking! That is way to much work :(

        CNC 6-axis Designs wrote:
        > Brian .. should this work with the SS ?
        > Question is:
        > Should this work with teh SS ? SetParam("AccelerationX", 250)
        >
        > It would be a great ! help, totally excellent, if it did.
        >
        > At issue is torque on a servo-indexed spindle in lathe.
        > When/if I swap axis (to control the subspindle) for a live tool, the
        > acceleration characteristics are totally different for a collet/tool
        > than an 8" chuck ... ;)
        >
        > So the acceleratiom setting will allow changing the acc for the
        > subspindle/spindle.
        > However, I suspect that the SS deals with the acceleration internally.
        >
        > Unless/until we get the maybe someday arriving RunAsSpindle (axis) (for
        > continuous non-co-ordinated motion) live tools and subspindles are not
        > really practical with the SS.
        > Really hoping for a good plugin for the SS ;)
        >
        > PS
        > Cant test myself now, sorry.
        > Had to move, with all tools, 20 km, and all tools are in boxes crates now.
        > Last truckload 4/4 still to come ... and will be a week
        > unpacking/setting up at least.

      • bennyattwell
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 4, 2011
          i tried this today. i couldnt get it to work!
          i wanted to change from 1 set of accelerations for routing, to another set when drilling cycles are called.
          im using

          xdrillaccel=getuserdro(1211)
          setparam ("accelerationx", xdrillaccel)

          etc for other parameters
          its getting the right numbers from dro to be set in vb script editor.

          do i have to add the call or subsetparam line?
          if i can get it to work would it be ok to use in a macropump to set if a certain group of tool numbers was in use.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Brina ;-)
          > But no, I didn't know it (I had a feeling it could be done), I had too look
          > it up myself... And to be honest I felt quite stupid because I had a hard
          > time making it work, then I saw the example which showed the double quotes
          > around the parameter name was needed in the call....
          >
          > Any general progress update on v.4 ?
          >
          > /Henrik.
          >
          > _____

        • Henrik Olsson
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 4, 2011
            Hi Benny,

            The parameter names are case sensitive, try SetParam("AccelerationX",
            xdrillaccel) - works here.

            /Henrik.

            _____

            <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks Brina ;-)
            > But no, I didn't know it (I had a feeling it could be done), I had too
            look
            > it up myself... And to be honest I felt quite stupid because I had a hard
            > time making it work, then I saw the example which showed the double quotes
            > around the parameter name was needed in the call....
            >
            > Any general progress update on v.4 ?
            >
            > /Henrik.
            >
            > _____

          • bennyattwell
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 4, 2011
              thanks henrik. il give that a try

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...> wrote:

              > Hi Benny,
              >
              > The parameter names are case sensitive, try SetParam("AccelerationX",
              > xdrillaccel) - works here.
              >

              > /Henrik.
              >

              > _____

            • bennyattwell
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                Thanks henrik works a charm! thats the first thing ive come accross in vb script that was case sensitive.
                i added the switchover sequence to my macropump
                with an if isstopped() overide
                so it can only change when there is no movement.
                i can even change accelerations on the fly now by changing dro number on screen which is superb for very fine v carving moves etc
                it has cut my drilling cycle times nearly in half. now way faster than the original control
                i uploaded a video of it on youtube if anyone is interested.
                you can see how it accelerates gently with routers and like a banshee on drilling cycles
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6WEeeJRwPg

              • Henrik Olsson
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                  Great!

                  That is a cool machine!

                  So, did you make your post processor insert an M-code when switching to/from
                  the drill-cycles or how does it know when to use what acceleration?

                  Just remember that, when exiting Mach3, whatever acceleration you had set is
                  what it starts up with next. Might need some startup/init macro to make sure
                  it's at the default acceleration when Mach3 starts?

                  /Henrik.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                    all my router tools are numbered under 200
                    all my drills are above 200
                    in macropump if getselectedtool() >=200 then change to 1 set of dros
                    if <200 change to other set
                    as long as machine is not moving!
                    added 2 sets of dros to my diagnostic page so i can change it on the fly.
                    as you can see in video it changes great.
                    wouldnt be required if we could have real s curve setup but its made a huge difference with what we have available.
                    thanks for your help henrik.

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik@...> wrote:

                    > Great!
                    >
                    > That is a cool machine!
                    >
                    > So, did you make your post processor insert an M-code when switching to/from
                    > the drill-cycles or how does it know when to use what acceleration?
                    >

                    > Just remember that, when exiting Mach3, whatever acceleration you had set is
                    > what it starts up with next. Might need some startup/init macro to make sure
                    > it's at the default acceleration when Mach3 starts?
                    >

                    > /Henrik.
                    >

                    > _____

                  • John Ingham
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                      Yes - Very clever!!!
                      JWI

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                        Benny,
                        I love to see your machine! You are a nut, I love the "note" to the
                        people watching the video LOL.
                        Nice job and dear me that is a complex machine!

                        On 2/5/2011 9:37 AM, bennyattwell wrote:
                        > Thanks henrik works a charm! thats the first thing ive come accross in vb script that was case sensitive.
                        > i added the switchover sequence to my macropump
                        > with an if isstopped() overide
                        > so it can only change when there is no movement.
                        > i can even change accelerations on the fly now by changing dro number on screen which is superb for very fine v carving moves etc
                        > it has cut my drilling cycle times nearly in half. now way faster than the original control
                        > i uploaded a video of it on youtube if anyone is interested.
                        > you can see how it accelerates gently with routers and like a banshee on drilling cycles
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6WEeeJRwPg

                      • Stephen Muscato
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 7, 2011
                          It appears to me a lot of time is used while drilling the horizontal holes. Why not leave the drill extended down, drill, make a "Y" move to the next hole, drill, etc.

                          Why waste the time making all those "Z" moves?

                          Steve

                        • CNCWoodworker@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 7, 2011
                            Probably because you need to be really careful to not hit a vacuum pod. I've run machines like that for nearly 15 years, and on their standard controls, you can control whether it stays down or not in the g-code. but the operator needs to be very careful, as it's easy to do thousands of dollars in damage if you're not careful.

                            Gerry

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 7, 2011
                              i knew someone would ask!
                              there are 24 vertical drills, 10 horizontal, each a different length, hence each a different x y and z offset.

                              The macro doesnt know which drill is next when it ends so it moves to a safe changeover position. the next operation could be more vertical drilling, routing or horizontal drilling, each with different offsets.
                              and besides, there may be a toggle clamp or similar in the way which would be missed doing it my way.

                              re horizontal moves, the board may not be square, you could be drilling into the underside of top line of a letter T etc
                              it was a very hard macro to write and i had to try to think of all eventualities. i think i did it the safest way.

                              it started as 5 seperate macros but i couldnt post process that from vectric (limitations) without using 5 different post processors so i turned it into 1 big one. - not as easy as it sounds!
                              i just completed the vectric post for it about 5 minutes ago.

                              the delays you see are not the macro speed, its ensuring the axis are stopped in correct position before moving on .

                              any drill routine can now be called by xy position, depth and tool number only, so it can be hand typed or Gcode edited really quickly.

                              btw. the video wasnt to show the drilling routine, it was to show the software changing the acceleration speed of the machine for different operations.