Problems with motor tuning on my new TB6560 stepper board.

  • PeteJ
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2010
      I just purchased a new stepper driver for my CNC router
      and I've got the Y and the Z running smoothly.
      The X on the other hand is giving me fits.
      I have to set the Step and Dir pulse at 5 to
      get any movement at all on the motor. Then the
      motor sounds terrible and just misses all the
      steps like and sounds bad. It also doesn't seem
      to be locking the motor like it should when I
      turn it on.
      I ohm'd all the wires and found no high resistance
      or shorts of any kind.
      Does anybody have idea why one motor would require
      the pulse to be set all the way up to get the motor
      to respond?

      Thanks in advance.

      Pete
    • bennyattwell
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
        have you tried running your x motor off one of the working driver outputs to check if its a motor or driver issue?

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "PeteJ" <lonetreecreations@...> wrote:

        > I just purchased a new stepper driver for my CNC router
        > and I've got the Y and the Z running smoothly.
        > The X on the other hand is giving me fits.
        > I have to set the Step and Dir pulse at 5 to
        > get any movement at all on the motor. Then the
        > motor sounds terrible and just misses all the
        > steps like and sounds bad. It also doesn't seem
        > to be locking the motor like it should when I
        > turn it on.
        > I ohm'd all the wires and found no high resistance
        > or shorts of any kind.
        > Does anybody have idea why one motor would require
        > the pulse to be set all the way up to get the motor
        > to respond?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Pete

      • Ron Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
          Have you adjusted the motor current limit? Is the micro-stepping set
          the same on all axes?

          --

          Ron Thompson

          Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you smile.<GRIN>

          Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

        • Pete Jansen
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
            Current limit is the same on all, set at 75% of 3.5A so it comes out around 2.4-2.5A per phase. My Xylotex 425oz motors are rated at 2.5A per phase.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
              Great idea I have not tried, thank you and I will do that first thing and check back.

              Awesome, that's why I ask you guys! That will help narrow it down.

              Pete