Engine frequency Vs Controller frequency confusion

  • controlfreaked
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
      I am a bit confused about Smooth stepper claims to be up to 80 times faster than Mach3. How can Smooth stepper relay data at 4Mhz (Max controller frequency) when Mach3 can only send it at 100,000Khz (Max Engine frequency)?

      I also understand people have been having trouble with smoothness and accuracy running at higher frequencies, is this true and is so why?

      I can seem to find an explanation on the forums, can anyone explain to me the differences between the frequencies?
    • Jeffrey T. Birt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
        Your getting two entirely different things confused. Mach's maximum kernel
        frequency is 100kHz, this is the fastest the parallel port driver can run
        and Mach interact with it. The kernel frequency is irrelevant when using an
        external motion control board (and should always remain set to 25kHz to
        avoid any timing issues.) When using an external motion control like the
        SmoothStepper the external motion control plug-in retrieves the moves Mach
        has already planned out and sends them to the motion control hardware. The
        motion control hardware then converts the requested move into a series of
        step and direction pulses. An external motion controller is only limited by
        how fast its hardware is and how fast it can get updates from Mach which has
        nothing to do with Mach's kernel frequency as the frequency that plug-ins
        are called is fixed.

        Jeff Birt

        Check out - Soigeneris.com.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
          Thanks alot Jeff, this has been driving me crazy.
          The max parallel port speed was going to limit the top speed of my motor.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey T. Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

          > Your getting two entirely different things confused. Mach's maximum kernel
          > frequency is 100kHz, this is the fastest the parallel port driver can run
          > and Mach interact with it. The kernel frequency is irrelevant when using an
          > external motion control board (and should always remain set to 25kHz to
          > avoid any timing issues.) When using an external motion control like the
          > SmoothStepper the external motion control plug-in retrieves the moves Mach
          > has already planned out and sends them to the motion control hardware. The
          > motion control hardware then converts the requested move into a series of
          > step and direction pulses. An external motion controller is only limited by
          > how fast its hardware is and how fast it can get updates from Mach which has
          > nothing to do with Mach's kernel frequency as the frequency that plug-ins
          > are called is fixed.
          >

          > Jeff Birt
          >
          > Check out - Soigeneris.com.

        • Steve Blackmore
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
            On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 18:00:26 -0000, you wrote:

            >Thanks alot Jeff, this has been driving me crazy.
            >The max parallel port speed was going to limit the top speed of my motor.

            Maybe, but that's only part of it <G>.The design of your machine will
            limit the top speed you can cut at. For instance on my router, it will
            rapid reliably at 6m/min (236 in/min) but will only cut reliably at
            4m/min or so on steppers. On servos it will rapid and cut at 6m/min. On
            steppers it's 1:1 drive, on servo's 1:2 (same 4mm pitch ballscrews). If
            I changed the ballscrews to 10mm pitch, the resolution would be less
            than acceptable on the steppers, but perfectly adequate on the servos,
            but in both instances it would move more than twice as fast.

            Steve Blackmore