PC Speed requirements with Smooth Stepper.

  • John Dammeyer
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 5, 2010
      I realize a 1GHz or better processor is required in order for MACH to
      effectively do the step/dir pulsing along with some of the other local
      parallel port monitoring.

      When the USB port is used to talk to a Smooth Stepper which handles the
      actual pulsing do the speed requirements of MACH3 drop?

      Just curious if one of those Windows CE 200MHz machines with USB and
      800x640 touch screen would then serve as a MACH controller.

      Thanks

      John Dammeyer

      Automation Artisans Inc.
      http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/
      Ph. 1 250 544 4950
    • bk_hi_tech
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 5, 2010
        Thanks Jeff,

        I run Granite Devices BOB board plus drives and their equipment accept 3.3V also. I tried using a PCI card that has 4.5V outputs and the results are the same. I checked right on the Granite Devices BOB and the voltages are in the 4.5 range for step/ direction. Seems the PP card is okay as the on board and PCI both have same results (the PCI card was removed from the old PC which is smooth). I will try and reinstall Mach3 now and see if that helps.

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey T. Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

        > The driver test tests the interrupt latency, NOT the parallel port hardware.
        > Some parallel port hardware just will not work properly. First thing to
        > check is the voltage the parallel port puts out. If your using a BOB or
        > other circuitry that expects 5V and you have a 3.3V port you will have
        > issues.
        >

        > Jeff Birt
        >
        > Check out - Soigeneris.com.

      • Jeffrey T. Birt
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 5, 2010
          Sis you start with a fresh Windows install?

          Jeffrey T. Birt

          Soigeneris.com

          304 Fox Creek Road

          Rolla, MO 65401

          573-647-9294

          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jeffrey T. Birt" <birt_j@...>
          wrote:

          > The driver test tests the interrupt latency, NOT the parallel port
          hardware.
          > Some parallel port hardware just will not work properly. First thing to
          > check is the voltage the parallel port puts out. If your using a BOB or
          > other circuitry that expects 5V and you have a 3.3V port you will have
          > issues.
          >

          > Jeff Birt
          >
          > Check out - Soigeneris.com.
          >

          > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Has there been any instructions on how to use the drivers test? I just
          > swapped PC's and the new PC with the old PP cards act like a impact wrench
          > when doing rapids. I ran the driver tests and it says excellent okay,
          > etcc.Profile was copied over from the orginal PC. I also reinstalled the
          > original PC back in the cabinet and the axis are smooth again. New PC is a
          > Dell Optiplex with Windows EX pro, nothing at all installed except for
          > Mach3. Also tried EPP, ECP AT on the PP port but all same results, real
          > rough rapids. Any ideas?

        • bk_hi_tech
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 5, 2010
            Brand new PC out of the box (refurbished from Dell) so everything is clean.
            I just called their tech support to see if they could advise if any type of buffers could be adjusted or ??? but they told me I better call tommorrow when the gurus are in.

          • DON RUSSELL

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 5, 2010
                >>Brand new PC out of the box (refurbished from Dell) so everything is
                clean.

                Not really L , it is VERY common for PC makers to load all sorts of extra
                crap on the PC that can cause problems. It is best to start with a fresh,
                non ACPI (power sainvg) install. Check the optimization guide.
                http://www.machsupport.com/downloads/XP_Optimization.txt

                It might also be that the new PC just won't work with the parallel port.

                Jeffrey T. Birt

                Soigeneris.com

                304 Fox Creek Road

                Rolla, MO 65401

                573-647-9294

                wrote:

                > Sis you start with a fresh Windows install?
                >

                > Jeffrey T. Birt
                >

                > Soigeneris.com
                >
                > 304 Fox Creek Road
                >
                > Rolla, MO 65401
                >
                > 573-647-9294
                >

                > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                > I run Granite Devices BOB board plus drives and their equipment accept
                3.3V
                > also. I tried using a PCI card that has 4.5V outputs and the results are
                the
                > same. I checked right on the Granite Devices BOB and the voltages are in
                the
                > 4.5 range for step/ direction. Seems the PP card is okay as the on board
                and
                > PCI both have same results (the PCI card was removed from the old PC which
                > is smooth). I will try and reinstall Mach3 now and see if that helps.
                >

                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jeffrey T. Birt" <birt_j@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > The driver test tests the interrupt latency, NOT the parallel port
                > hardware.
                > > Some parallel port hardware just will not work properly. First thing to
                > > check is the voltage the parallel port puts out. If your using a BOB or
                > > other circuitry that expects 5V and you have a 3.3V port you will have
                > > issues.
                > >

                > > Jeff Birt
                > >
                > > Check out - Soigeneris.com.
                > >

                > > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                > [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com

              • John Dammeyer
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 5, 2010
                  So you ran a 900MHz machine with a smooth stepper?

                  John

                  Automation Artisans Inc.
                  http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/
                  Ph. 1 250 544 4950

                • Dave Halliday
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
                    For dealing with the cruft in new systems, check out PC De-Crapifyer

                    http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

                    It builds a list of everything that is installed on a system and then offers
                    a checklist of what to take off.

                    Well worth your time -- free for personal use.

                    Dave

                  • Philip Wise
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
                      I used to use this but recently set up a new notebook for my sister and
                      found it basically useless now as it really didn't remove anything, though
                      there was plenty to take off. I had to do it manually in the end.

                      Philip Wise
                      Webmaster www.theforce.net
                      Webmaster www.rebelscum.com

                      On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Dave Halliday <dh@...> wrote:

                      > For dealing with the cruft in new systems, check out PC De-Crapifyer
                      >
                      > http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
                      >
                      > It builds a list of everything that is installed on a system and then
                      > offers
                      > a checklist of what to take off.
                      >
                      > Well worth your time -- free for personal use.
                      >
                      > Dave

                    • mvcalypso
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
                        John,
                        1) I'd note that win CE is not a Mach supported OS.
                        2) The 800x640 screen resolution will likely be a show stopper.
                        All the mach screen sets I know of are designed for 1024x768 or larger. The 800x630 will push you into a custom screen set development - that's a pretty big chunk of extra time as a side effect of PC choice.

                        Rather than attempt to use an unsupported OS with a low res screen, I think you'll be better off looking at something like an Intel atom based Mini-itx mother board - several have reported good results with them and they are avail new retail for $75-$100.

                        My personal favorite approach for a mach PC is Craigslist - where I live one can easily find a full pc complete with keyboard and LCD screen for dirt cheap.

                        Dave

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "John Dammeyer" <johnd@...> wrote:

                        > I realize a 1GHz or better processor is required in order for MACH to
                        > effectively do the step/dir pulsing along with some of the other local
                        > parallel port monitoring.
                        >
                        > When the USB port is used to talk to a Smooth Stepper which handles the
                        > actual pulsing do the speed requirements of MACH3 drop?
                        >
                        > Just curious if one of those Windows CE 200MHz machines with USB and
                        > 800x640 touch screen would then serve as a MACH controller.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > John Dammeyer
                        >
                        > Automation Artisans Inc.
                        > http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/
                        > Ph. 1 250 544 4950

                      • John Dammeyer
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
                          Hi Dave,

                          I have two different PC's here that have run MACH and one is already
                          dedicated to that. Full Smooth Stepper with breakout board. I'm putting
                          the finishing touches to a JGRO router before I get back to finishing the
                          CNC conversion on my Grizzly type G3616 mill. And I'm the designer and
                          manufacturer of the Eleadscrew group's ELS. So having a PC isn't an
                          issue.

                          I'm just curious whether a slower PC would suffice since there are
                          industrial Panel type PC's out there for around $499 with full touch
                          screen. But you're right. The 800x640 is the first real killer.

                          Thanks for the feedback.

                        • bk_hi_tech
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 11, 2010
                            Well another 4 hours gone and I reloaded Windows with new formatting, checked my memory cards and still having the same issue, jerky pulse, confirmed with a ocilloscope, train outputs both on the internal LPT port and the PCI expansion card.

                            Driver test shows excellent during the test so I am really not sure at all what good this test is as the scope shows the pulses all over.

                            After looking I did notice the Dell has many more items listed in the conflict/sharing screen located under system tools programs. just guessing?

                            Looks like I may need to get another PC once again and ebay or craigslist this one.

                            > > ]
                            > > just
                            > > > like a impact
                            > > > wrench
                            > > > excellent okay,
                            > > > reinstalled the
                            > > > again. New PC is
                            > > > installed except for
                            > > > results, real

                          • art2
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                              >>Driver test shows excellent during the test so I am really not sure at all what good this test is as the scope shows the pulses all over.

                              The driver test shows the times between pulses, and its pretty accurate. If the driver test is fine, meaning a straight line without big glitches, then it means the pulse line is pretty flat in terms of repeatability of pulse to pulse time. Scoping outputs of the pulses is very difficult and many get screwed up by it. Acceleration and deceleration as well as the bressenham nature of the pulses can make it hard to scope as there is no proper trigger for one to use. Its not hard at all for a scope to show a pretty bad waveform when in fact all is fine. Use caution in how you determine the pulses are not good enough. Almost 100% of the time a driver test will show glitches if in fact there are some. When you say "pulses all over" what is the time from pulse to pulse and what is its variation in a single stream after acceleration? Digitally output waveforms from a bressenham timing algorithm can be really hard to properly trigger on to
                              see what youd expect. Ive seen too many times to count where an experienced electronics person claims the scoped output is terrible, but the steppers or servo's run fine. Similarly Ive seen many times where the output on the scope is terrible, and the motors run terrible, but the end problem turns out to be pulse width or some other setting making the drivers too sensitive to any variation.

                              Im not saying you dont have a driver issue, just pointing out that the driver test is typically extremely accurate as to if any problem with timing actually exists. A flat line on the test is very hard to get if pulses are actually all over the place. ( of course thats a relative term that can mean anything :) ). Depending on the actual probnlem your having, you may want to experiment a bit with pulse width,. or run the sherline mode as a test to ensure your trouble
                              isnt actually a pulse width issue or noise issue.

                            • bk_hi_tech
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                Thanks Art for your input.

                                Basically I have 2 PC's old self assembled from various suppliers and a Dell I just got.
                                Profile was copied over to the new Dell, and I took the PP expansion board out of the old PC and installed on the Dell.

                                When I do a rapid Jog holding the shift key down and jogging, with the old PC the servo motors are very, very smooth both in sound and feeling. When I do the same with the new Dell PC the motors are very rough sounding almost if pulses are missing and if you place your hand on the servo motor you can feel it kicking a bit during the rapid move. It does move but just not smooth. I tried both the on board PP port and the expansion with same results on the new Dell.

                                Disabled network, tried with and without VGA card installed, tried removing one memory board at a time, tried setting printer port for DMA address in the setup of Bios, tried EPP, ECP auto, I tried motor tuning up to 5uS and nothing makes a difference. my steps are only between 250-300 per mm on motor tuning so I don't think I am pushing the system that hard. No anti virus installed, no other programs except for Mach3 installed. Set at 45khz in port and pins setup.
                                On the driver test I see a pulse than a few very small lines once in a while pass by, the Green bar graph pretty much stays in the middle and the reading is normally excellent, a few times I have seen it change for a second to stable. If it was a issue with my PPcard I should see it on the old PC as well being I have been swapping this card back and forth. PC is a Intel P4 3.0ghz, ram is 2 x 512 boards.

                                Regards,
                                BK

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                  The driver test measures the interrupt latency of the parallel port driver,
                                  NOT how well your parallel port hardware actually responds to being driven
                                  by Mach. I've seen a few cases where a PC with a very good driver test
                                  would simply not work with an onboard or add on PCI parallel port.
                                  Personally I've only had one PC that did not do at least a 'decent' job with
                                  the parallel port, but they have all worked (better) with an external motion
                                  control board. In short there are some PCs that just won't work. Which ones?
                                  Who knows.

                                  The choices are:

                                  1) Keep buying PCs till you find one that works.

                                  2) Buy a PC that has been put together specifically to run Mach with
                                  parts that have been proven to work; there are vendors offering these.

                                  3) Use an external motion control board.

                                  Jeffrey T. Birt

                                  Soigeneris.com

                                  304 Fox Creek Road

                                  Rolla, MO 65401

                                  573-647-9294

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                    Hi:

                                    One caution to that testing.. Sometimes you get a faster machine, and its latency is much lower, so the actual pulse width is smaller, and that in itself can cause that symptom. Sometimes its best to simply try sherline mode, if that smooths it out, though slower, it at least shows that wider pulses may be the trick. The driver measures the driver interrupt timing, the port itself should follow that, its very rare to fond a port that lags badly behind command, so Id be more suspicious of the pulse width timing as it really can be severly shortened by upgrading a machine. Your old one may have had 6us wide pulses for example and a new one may have 2us pulses.. that can cause rough motion with some drivers.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                      Hi Jeff and Art,

                                      Thanks very much for trying to assist.

                                      I tried the sherline mode today after work and there was no difference in the performance, the axis was still not running smooth.

                                      I uploaded 2 videos today to youtube, one showing the driver test and another showing the long list of conflict/sharing under windows system tools. Sorry for the poor quality of the video but Its just to get some idea if you are interested in this issue.

                                      Tomorrow I will see if I can swap out this Dell with another PC somewhere else and try again.

                                      Thanks again,
                                      BK

                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pJ1P-tWUCw
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtITF-0EeUA
                                    • art2
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                        BK:

                                        That driver test does seem to show some intermittant interrupt occuring that shouldnt. ALmost liek DMA is accessing too frequenctly or some power saving feature is checking something frequently. The driver tests result doesnt look all that bad overall, but I dont like the small divots I see from time to time. Small spike isnt too bad, but the low square waves that occur seem to indicate to me that time itself is shutting down for a few microseconds at a time. This should only be possible if the clock frequency is varying some, or so I suspect. Not sure how to fix such a trouble if indeed that is the trouble. ( I take it the port is 5 volts or you have a 3.5 votl breakout board and thats not a concern? ).

                                        Since sherline mode worked the same I have to suspect some cpu frequency variation to conserve power, I dont "think" it woudl be an interrupt conflict, that should have a different symptom. If its power saving of some weird sort that can really be hard to fix.. its just strange the waveform is pretty good, yet the problem remains.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                          My voltages coming out of the ports appear to be in the 3v range according to the scope and I checked directly with Granite devices and he confirmed his PP interface card will work with 3.3V

                                          I was thinking about trying Win7 to see if the system would run better. The old PC I use runs WIN7 and there are only a few conflicts/sharing on the system info screen.

                                          BK

                                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                                          > BK:
                                          >
                                          > That driver test does seem to show some intermittant interrupt occuring that shouldnt. ALmost liek DMA is accessing too frequenctly or some power saving feature is checking something frequently. The driver tests result doesnt look all that bad overall, but I dont like the small divots I see from time to time. Small spike isnt too bad, but the low square waves that occur seem to indicate to me that time itself is shutting down for a few microseconds at a time. This should only be possible if the clock frequency is varying some, or so I suspect. Not sure how to fix such a trouble if indeed that is the trouble. ( I take it the port is 5 volts or you have a 3.5 votl breakout board and thats not a concern? ).
                                          >
                                          > Since sherline mode worked the same I have to suspect some cpu frequency variation to conserve power, I dont "think" it woudl be an interrupt conflict, that should have a different symptom. If its power saving of some weird sort that can really be hard to fix.. its just strange the waveform is pretty good, yet the problem remains.

                                        • handsmfg
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                            I watched your youtube video. I noticed that your driver version 550 and you have the pluse freq. set to 45Khz. The pules per second counter never gets close to 45000. I had the same problem with my old computer. I download latest lockdown and seemed to fix problem.
                                            Just a thought.

                                            Eric

                                            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "bk_hi_tech" <bkerscher@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Jeff and Art,
                                            >
                                            > Thanks very much for trying to assist.
                                            >
                                            > I tried the sherline mode today after work and there was no difference in the performance, the axis was still not running smooth.
                                            >
                                            > I uploaded 2 videos today to youtube, one showing the driver test and another showing the long list of conflict/sharing under windows system tools. Sorry for the poor quality of the video but Its just to get some idea if you are interested in this issue.
                                            >
                                            > Tomorrow I will see if I can swap out this Dell with another PC somewhere else and try again.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks again,
                                            > BK
                                            >

                                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pJ1P-tWUCw
                                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtITF-0EeUA

                                          • Ger
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                              Have you disabled ACPI? On my PIII Dell I needed to disable ACPI in the bios
                                              before installing Windows.

                                              Gerry

                                              > My voltages coming out of the ports appear to be in the 3v range according
                                              > to the scope and I checked directly with Granite devices and he confirmed
                                              > his PP interface card will work with 3.3V
                                              >
                                              > I was thinking about trying Win7 to see if the system would run better.
                                              > The old PC I use runs WIN7 and there are only a few conflicts/sharing on
                                              > the system info screen.
                                              >
                                              > BK
                                              >
                                              > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:
                                              >>
                                              >> BK:
                                              >>
                                              >> That driver test does seem to show some intermittant interrupt
                                              >> occuring that shouldnt. ALmost liek DMA is accessing too frequenctly or
                                              >> some power saving feature is checking something frequently. The driver
                                              >> tests result doesnt look all that bad overall, but I dont like the small
                                              >> divots I see from time to time. Small spike isnt too bad, but the low
                                              >> square waves that occur seem to indicate to me that time itself is
                                              >> shutting down for a few microseconds at a time. This should only be
                                              >> possible if the clock frequency is varying some, or so I suspect. Not
                                              >> sure how to fix such a trouble if indeed that is the trouble. ( I take it
                                              >> the port is 5 volts or you have a 3.5 votl breakout board and thats not a
                                              >> concern? ).
                                              >>
                                              >> Since sherline mode worked the same I have to suspect some cpu
                                              >> frequency variation to conserve power, I dont "think" it woudl be an
                                              >> interrupt conflict, that should have a different symptom. If its power
                                              >> saving of some weird sort that can really be hard to fix.. its just
                                              >> strange the waveform is pretty good, yet the problem remains.
                                              >>
                                              >> Thanks,
                                              >> Art

                                            • bk_hi_tech
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                                Thanks Eric,

                                                I got the latest lockdown version running on my PC.
                                                I also tried 25K,35K, 60K and all had about the same outcome.

                                                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "handsmfg" <handsmfg@...> wrote:

                                                > I watched your youtube video. I noticed that your driver version 550 and you have the pluse freq. set to 45Khz. The pules per second counter never gets close to 45000. I had the same problem with my old computer. I download latest lockdown and seemed to fix problem.
                                                > Just a thought.
                                                >
                                                > Eric
                                              • bk_hi_tech
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 12, 2010
                                                  No I haven't but at this point I guess it would not hurt to try. Tomorrow I will give that a shot and see what happens.

                                                  Bk

                                                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Ger" <CNCWoodworker@...> wrote:

                                                  > Have you disabled ACPI? On my PIII Dell I needed to disable ACPI in the bios
                                                  > before installing Windows.
                                                  >
                                                  > Gerry

                                                • bk_hi_tech
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 17, 2010
                                                    Tried every recommendation possible and never got the new PC to work smoothly.
                                                    I ended up getting a 8 year old big tower style computer, checked and on the System information screen and found very few conflicts/ sharing under windows. Copied the Mach3 profiles over, set up PP port and was operating smoothly in less than 1 hour. Now rapid jogs are smooth even with a lower spec PC.

                                                    Thanks for everyone's input and I hope this info might help someone else out who ends up by chance with a motherboard not suitable for this paticular application.

                                                    BK

> [...]
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Im not saying you dont have a driver issue, just pointing out that the driver test is typically extremely accurate as to if any problem with timing actually exists. A flat line on the test is very hard to get if pulses are actually all over the place. ( of course thats a relative term that can mean anything :) ). Depending on the actual probnlem your having, you may want to experiment a bit with pulse width,. or run the sherline mode as a test to ensure your trouble
                                                    > > isnt actually a pulse width issue or noise issue.

                                                  • studleylee
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 18, 2010
                                                      I have been loosely following this thread: Have you tried this ACPI
                                                      control software? http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc_pro.htm

                                                      ACPI is often a culprit in the ragged pulse generation symptom/issue on laptops and I suspect with the 'green' craze, they might be working it more strongly into newer desktop motherboards also.

                                                      Just a thought, ( please let me know if you try it out and how it affects the symptoms )
                                                      -Lee

> [...]
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Im not saying you dont have a driver issue, just pointing out that the driver test is typically extremely accurate as to if any problem with timing actually exists. A flat line on the test is very hard to get if pulses are actually all over the place. ( of course thats a relative term that can mean anything :) ). Depending on the actual probnlem your having, you may want to experiment a bit with pulse width,. or run the sherline mode as a test to ensure your trouble
                                                      > > > isnt actually a pulse width issue or noise issue.

                                                    • bk_hi_tech
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 19, 2010
                                                        Yes that was one of the tests I tried from recomendations in a earlier post from another member. There was absolutly no change with this paticular PC by disabling the ACPI.

                                                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "studleylee" <indigo_red@...> wrote:

                                                        > I have been loosely following this thread: Have you tried this ACPI
                                                        > control software? http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc_pro.htm
                                                        >
                                                        > ACPI is often a culprit in the ragged pulse generation symptom/issue on laptops and I suspect with the 'green' craze, they might be working it more strongly into newer desktop motherboards also.
                                                        >
                                                        > Just a thought, ( please let me know if you try it out and how it affects the symptoms )
                                                        > -Lee
                                                        >

                                                        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "bk_hi_tech" <bkerscher@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Tried every recommendation possible and never got the new PC to work smoothly.
                                                        > > I ended up getting a 8 year old big tower style computer, checked and on the System information screen and found very few conflicts/ sharing under windows. Copied the Mach3 profiles over, set up PP port and was operating smoothly in less than 1 hour. Now rapid jogs are smooth even with a lower spec PC.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Thanks for everyone's input and I hope this info might help someone else out who ends up by chance with a motherboard not suitable for this paticular application.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > BK
                                                        > >

                                                        > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "bk_hi_tech" <bkerscher@> wrote:
                                                        > > >

                                                        > > > Thanks Art for your input.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Basically I have 2 PC's old self assembled from various suppliers and a Dell I just got.
                                                        > > > Profile was copied over to the new Dell, and I took the PP expansion board out of the old PC and installed on the Dell.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > When I do a rapid Jog holding the shift key down and jogging, with the old PC the servo motors are very, very smooth both in sound and feeling. When I do the same with the new Dell PC the motors are very rough sounding almost if pulses are missing and if you place your hand on the servo motor you can feel it kicking a bit during the rapid move. It does move but just not smooth. I tried both the on board PP port and the expansion with same results on the new Dell.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Disabled network, tried with and without VGA card installed, tried removing one memory board at a time, tried setting printer port for DMA address in the setup of Bios, tried EPP, ECP auto, I tried motor tuning up to 5uS and nothing makes a difference. my steps are only between 250-300 per mm on motor tuning so I don't think I am pushing the system that hard. No anti virus installed, no other programs except for Mach3 installed. Set at 45khz in port and pins setup.
                                                        > > > On the driver test I see a pulse than a few very small lines once in a while pass by, the Green bar graph pretty much stays in the middle and the reading is normally excellent, a few times I have seen it change for a second to stable. If it was a issue with my PPcard I should see it on the old PC as well being I have been swapping this card back and forth. PC is a Intel P4 3.0ghz, ram is 2 x 512 boards.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Regards,
                                                        > > > BK

                                                      • Wolgamott M
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 19, 2010
                                                          I have run cnc router for years from Optiplex 900mhz works great only thing had
                                                          to do was shut of screen saver / sleep mode.
                                                           M. Wolgamott
                                                          www.cnc-n-signs.com
                                                          Pontiac, MI 48340
                                                          248-812-1556 leave a message