Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Step motor versus servo motors

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2010
      Hi Rocco,

      I'd suggest you to start off with reading the write up by Geckodrive on the subject. Go to http://geckodrive.com/ and look under support.

      Daniel

      ________________________________
      From: Rocco Sposari <rocco.sposari@...>
      To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, March 1, 2010 6:01:48 AM
      Subject: [mach1mach2cnc] Step motor versus servo motors

      Hello,

      I'm in the process of building my first 3 axis CNC machine, and I'm
      evaluating what type of motor to use for the linear axis.

      What's the difference between step motors and servo motors?

      Why would you choose to use one and not the other one?

      How would you select what's right for the machine you're building?

      I understand that the weight of the object these motors will have to move is
      crucial, and also the system that create the motion connected to the motor
      will play his part ( lead screw, rack and pinion, belt drive etc).

      But what formula do you use to calculate what I need for the selection?

      For example:

      Let's say I need a motor for the X axis of my machine, the weight of the
      gantry is let's say 100 lbs

      and that I want to use a lead screw system on each side of the table to push
      and pull the gantry.

      With this data what are the steps that I need to take for the selection of
      my motors

      What formula do I use and is there any software that can help me calculate
      what I need for the selection?

      Thank you in advance for any help

      Rocco