Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Using a Webcam for Fixture Setup

  • Richard Kleinhenz
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
      I've yet to see a close-up lens for a webcam :-) Or even a webcam with threads to accept one ;-)

      I only tried a webcam for a moment a coupe of weeks ago, to test the window when I found it. I remember being underwhelmed. I know my webcam can do better than what was displayed in the window! Does Mach3 do anything with the scaling that is funny? Send the camera into low-res mode?

      --
      Best regards,
      Rich
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
        I was doing some R&D on video stuff using webcams several months ago. The
        quality difference between them is amazing. I started out with a mid priced
        Logitech 'ball shaped' webcam, the optics were horrible and the image sensor
        and/or lenses could be close to 10deg off center. I finally got a hold of a
        couple of Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which are far superior (glass lenses,
        higher quality construction.)

        Another thing to keep in mind is that many webcams have autofocus now. To
        use it for fixture set up you'll need to have enough control of the camera
        to shut that off as certain surfaces will throw it for a loop.

        Jeff Birt

        Check out - Soigeneris.com

        I've yet to see a close-up lens for a webcam :-) Or even a webcam with
        threads to accept one ;-)

        I only tried a webcam for a moment a coupe of weeks ago, to test the window
        when I found it. I remember being underwhelmed. I know my webcam can do
        better than what was displayed in the window! Does Mach3 do anything with
        the scaling that is funny? Send the camera into low-res mode?

        On 12/2/2009 at 3:57 AM Will Schmit wrote:

        >Or just buy a "close-up" lens.
        >Really more of a filter than a lens.
        >They are available in every size.

        --
        Best regards,
        Rich
        Richard Kleinhenz
        http://beautifulhandmadepens.com
        http://penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=kleinhenzr
      • Matthew Billo
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
          I purchased a few of these CN CAM Systems for myself and a few clients
          (http://cgi.ebay.com/cnCam-to-cnCam-d-upgrade-special_W0QQitemZ250096979230Q
          QcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a3af10d1e) and found it to be
          very useful in setups, machine calibration, precisely position of a
          work-piece, evaluate rigidity and repeatability of the machine, measurements
          and alike. You can optically measure to a resolution of +/- 0.0002" and
          align the axis of rotation with a reference point on your work-piece to
          within +/- 0.0001". I have also used it to calibrate the Gibs as it allows
          you to microscopically see how the table moves, if one side of the table
          moves first or if they move together. Have also used it to re-index to a
          part I was machining but the power was dropped and lost my X & Y location
          relative to the part. I cut very small parts and need to be as accurate as
          possible (much more than the machine is spec for). This camera comes with
          all sort of lenses, from microscope range on up. I bought the $350.00 model
          and find it useful. I have set this unit up to watch machining on a
          microscopic level but it can be mounted as much as 7 inches away from the
          part.

          Thanks,

          MJBillo

          Thanks,

          MJBillo

          MJB Engineering, LLC.

          Matthew Billo

          17937 Dove Hill Road

          Eden Valley, MN 55329-9500

          mjbillo@...

          320-453-2150

          I've yet to see a close-up lens for a webcam :-) Or even a webcam with
          threads to accept one ;-)

          I only tried a webcam for a moment a coupe of weeks ago, to test the window
          when I found it. I remember being underwhelmed. I know my webcam can do
          better than what was displayed in the window! Does Mach3 do anything with
          the scaling that is funny? Send the camera into low-res mode?

          On 12/2/2009 at 3:57 AM Will Schmit wrote:

          >Or just buy a "close-up" lens.
          >Really more of a filter than a lens.
          >They are available in every size.

          --
          Best regards,
          Rich
          07:33:00

        • Gregory Cronin
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
            Hi All,

            I have a couple camera units that I bought from Atto Research that are made
            to mount in the machine and can be used for accurate measuring.
            I have one I plan to mount on the side of the head to use for zeroing
            fixtures.

            The units I have used are very accurate, although a bit expensive.

            Here is their ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Attoresearch

            Greg C.

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
              Hi Matthew,

              How do you do all these measurements? Where is the camera mounted? What type of screen do you use to watch it?

              Daniel

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
                Dear Daniel,

                The camera can be mounted in the spindle (1/4" shank) or I have set it up on
                a magnetic stand. The camera comes with software that allows you to
                calibrate the measurements and then with snap shots of your workpiece, make
                measurements by placing measurement points on the work piece. For example:
                you select a radius\diameter type measurement, place three points on the
                captured image and it reports the measurement. It is viewable on any IBM
                compatible computer and I have used it on Windows 95, Windows 2000, and
                Windows XP. I suspect it would work on Windows Vista as well. It's a poor
                man's inspection and verification system. I compared the output to a
                $14,000.00 inspection system and it was less than 1% off what the expensive
                system reported.

                It has it's nuances but I work around its limits. Lighting is important for
                good image captures and the larger the screen it is viewed on the more
                accurate it is. For good lighting I use hand held LED flashlights from
                Harbor Freight ($2.00 on sale). I use a few of the laptops I have to view
                the camera output in either real time, captured video or camera snap shots.
                For an acceptable price it allows me to measure to a level I could not
                otherwise. And No I do not have any stake in this company, I just liked
                their CN CAM system, it worked for me and serves as another tool in my bag
                of tricks. I find new uses for it every week additionally I find my
                customers like it when I produce visual reports that verify a part meets
                specifications. A picture is worth a 1000 words, maybe more!

                Thanks,

                MJBillo

                MJB Engineering, LLC.

                Matthew Billo

                17937 Dove Hill Road

                Eden Valley, MN 55329-9500

                mjbillo@...

                320-453-2150

[...]

                mjbillo@... <mailto:mjbillo%40meltel.net>

                320-453-2150

                From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                I've yet to see a close-up lens for a webcam :-) Or even a webcam with
                threads to accept one ;-)

                I only tried a webcam for a moment a coupe of weeks ago, to test the window
                when I found it. I remember being underwhelmed. I know my webcam can do
                better than what was displayed in the window! Does Mach3 do anything with
                the scaling that is funny? Send the camera into low-res mode?

                On 12/2/2009 at 3:57 AM Will Schmit wrote:

                >Or just buy a "close-up" lens.
                >Really more of a filter than a lens.
                >They are available in every size.

                --
                Best regards,
                Rich

                07:33:00

              • Daniel
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Hi Matthew,

                  Thank you very much for your description. Sounds like a very powerful tool indeed. Are you using it for quality control inspection as well? Can you inspect a bunch of identical parts (one at a time) with this setup so that the software will tell you if some part is beyond the predefined tolerances? The way you used it to adjust your gibs, is it also such a feature included in the software which comes with the camera?

                  Thanks,
                  Daniel

                  ________________________________

                  From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  I've yet to see a close-up lens for a webcam :-) Or even a webcam with
                  threads to accept one ;-)

                  I only tried a webcam for a moment a coupe of weeks ago, to test the window
                  when I found it. I remember being underwhelmed. I know my webcam can do
                  better than what was displayed in the window! Does Mach3 do anything with
                  the scaling that is funny? Send the camera into low-res mode?

                  On 12/2/2009 at 3:57 AM Will Schmit wrote:

                  >Or just buy a "close-up" lens.
                  >Really more of a filter than a lens.
                  >They are available in every size.

                  --
                  Best regards,
                  Rich

                  07:33:00

                • himykabibble
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Getting my cheapie webcam to focus closer turned out to be truly trivial. The lens simply screws into the cover over the image sensor. A plastic piece was attached to it to limit the range of adjustment to about 1/4 turn. I just removed that piece, and I've now got about 20 turns of travel! I can crank it out far enough to make less than 1/2" fill the image, which is right around 0.001"/pixel - good enough for my needs. Now I have to make something to hold it in the spindle.

                    Regards,
                    Ray L.
                  • Kevin Impson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Hello Everyone,

                      If anybody is interested go to this link...

                      http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=88201&cat=TOO

                      it is for a USB microscope camera with x100, x300, x450, x600 and 900 power magnification.

                      You can see the interchangeable lens in the picture at the top.

                      Kevin I.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                        Sounds Cood Ray.

                        What camera was that again?

                        thanks
                        greg c

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                          Greg,

                          This was a 4-5 year old Creative webcam. But, the majority of webcams use sensors and lenses from a *very* small group of Asian suppliers, and all are similar design. As long as you find one with adjustable focus, you should be able to do the same thing.

                          Regards,
                          Ray L.

                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory Cronin" <greg@...> wrote:

                          > Sounds Cood Ray.
                          >
                          > What camera was that again?
                          >
                          > thanks
                          > greg c
                          >
                          > _____

                        • himykabibble
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                            That said, I just got done Googling around for USB microscopes, and those look like a FAR better way to go - generally higher resolution (1.3Mpixel is typical), and optics designed for very close-up work (up to 400X magnification), plus built-in LED illuminators. I'll have to try one some time.

                            Regards,
                            Ray L.

                            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "himykabibble" <jagboy@...> wrote:

                            > Greg,
                            >
                            > This was a 4-5 year old Creative webcam. But, the majority of webcams use sensors and lenses from a *very* small group of Asian suppliers, and all are similar design. As long as you find one with adjustable focus, you should be able to do the same thing.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Ray L.
                            >
                            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory Cronin" <greg@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Sounds Cood Ray.
                            > >
                            > > What camera was that again?
                            > >
                            > > thanks
                            > > greg c
                            > >
                            > > _____

                          • Boman33
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                              Ray,

                              Typically the microscopes have very small working distance so the front lens
                              must almost touch the focused area.

                              Using a long focus lens will give you some working distance.

                              Further, to be really useful the camera should be permanently locked to the
                              spindle. It is easy to calibrate the offset so to line up your work piece,
                              use the camera to center on work piece 0/0 and then move by the camera
                              offset and the spindle will be at the same spot.

                              Obviously this only works with a camera that is rigidly mounted to the
                              spindle with sufficient clearance and splash protected.

                              Bertho

                              =============

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                                I thought so too, Bought a cheap one not as good as one might think focal distance goog for one length. the length of the tube they are mounted in. and FOV field of view very small. Go for a good quality Web cam.

                                Mac

                                ________________________________
                                That said, I just got done Googling around for USB microscopes, and those look like a FAR better way to go - generally higher resolution (1.3Mpixel is typical), and optics designed for very close-up work (up to 400X magnification) , plus built-in LED illuminators. I'll have to try one some time.

                                Regards,
                                Ray L.

                                --- In mach1mach2cnc@ yahoogroups. com, "himykabibble" <jagboy@...> wrote:

                                > Greg,
                                >
                                > This was a 4-5 year old Creative webcam. But, the majority of webcams use sensors and lenses from a *very* small group of Asian suppliers, and all are similar design. As long as you find one with adjustable focus, you should be able to do the same thing.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Ray L.
                                >
                                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@ yahoogroups. com, "Gregory Cronin" <greg@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Sounds Cood Ray.
                                > >
                                > > What camera was that again?
                                > >
                                > > thanks
                                > > greg c
                                > >
                                > > _____

                              • Dave Halliday
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                                  It is a magnifying lens. Just not a strong one.

                                  Most webcams are not threaded so you would need to tape it to the cam.

                                  Dave