RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: G2002 files..

  • illya
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Rab

      >Hi Art,

      >What do I do with the .bin file ?

      >Rab

      Use the Geckoflash.exe in the Mach2 dir to update the firmware on the Slab.

      Illya

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Art <fenerty@a...> wrote:
      > Hi :
      >
      > For G2002 equiped people, ( 3 or 4 that I know of including
      myself...) I
      > have just uploaded a MovingAverage fucntional .bin file for the
      Gecko and a
      > stress.tap file which is a CNC stress test I use for testing
      difficut axis.
      > Beware of the stress.tap file, it can make even well working
      systems lose
      > steps, it does 3D arcs on all 3 axis at once in very small space
      with
      > hundreds of vector changes during the arc. This is a G2002 Moving
      average
      > test only really. It is noticable what the moving average routines
      do while
      > running this file, it will allow a motor to be tuned 20-40% higher
      in speed
      > and still run with no lost steps.
      >
      > Have fun..
      > Art
      > www.artofcnc.ca

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Art
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Rab:

        Theres a program called GeckoFlash which will flash that bin into the
        gecko. Let me know how you make out..

        > > For G2002 equiped people, ( 3 or 4 that I know of including
        > myself...) I
        > > have just uploaded a MovingAverage fucntional .bin file for the
        > Gecko and a
        > > stress.tap file which is a CNC stress test I use for testing
        > difficut axis.
        > > Beware of the stress.tap file, it can make even well working
        > systems lose
        > > steps, it does 3D arcs on all 3 axis at once in very small space
        > with
        > > hundreds of vector changes during the arc. This is a G2002 Moving
        > average
        > > test only really. It is noticable what the moving average routines
        > do while
        > > running this file, it will allow a motor to be tuned 20-40% higher
        > in speed
        > > and still run with no lost steps.
        > >
        > > Have fun..
        > > Art
        > > www.artofcnc.ca
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sisakl
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004

          I guess that $350 is a bit expensive for me..
          I was hopping to build such controller with some sort of uP
          (microchip, atmel etc..)

          I didn't find the complete protocol at the file section.
          There is a "proposed protocol", that is not very informative.
          But I don't think you ment that.
          I was hopping to find a complete set of commands, USB ids etc...

          FOR ART: Is it possible to send the g2002 commands via RS232.
          It will be much easier to build such system without the hassle of USB.

          Thanks, Isak.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Contact Geckodrives for a G2002. Last price mentioned for the slab
          > was 350 bucks. (I don't remember if that included the required
          Rabbit
          > RCM2300 microcontroller or not.)
          >
          > The Mach2 protocol is in the files section of the Yahoo group
          > Geckodrive (under firmware). Also found there are the "smart" mode
          > protocol(s) that others are working on. The G2002 is USB only. The
          > input goes directly to an FTDI245 USB chip. BUT...
          >
          > Some are using/trying to use the G2002 with ethernet, by changing
          the
          > rabbit board to a 3600? series. Note that this mode doesn't apply
          > the current Mach2 USB mode Rate generator firmware. (The G2002 is a
          > usb rate generator.)
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Ballendo
          >
          > P.S. Note that while the cube version is still available (as of
          last
          > notice), the Mach2 firmware requires the "slab" style G2002.
          >

          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "sisakl" <isak@h...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > Is it possible to buy a complete G2002 system ?
          > > Is there a protocol description of the G2002 ?
          > > Does it use USB only or can it use RS232 as well ?
          > >
          > > Thanks, Isak.
        • Robin Szemeti
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
            On Wednesday 02 June 2004 09:12, sisakl wrote:
            > Thanks,
            >
            > I guess that $350 is a bit expensive for me..
            > I was hopping to build such controller with some sort of uP
            > (microchip, atmel etc..)

            ??? ... do you tink you can build a system for less than $350? ... I dont.

            by the time you have spent say $150 on components, a development kit for the
            micro, perhaps a compiler of some sort, had a PCB made ... even if you only
            put a cost of say $2 an hour for your time, you'll never get close to that
            figure. $350 is not a lot of money for what you get and HUNDREDS of dollars
            cheaper than many motion control cards on the market.

            If you want to build your own controller .. please do .... it is a fun ting
            to do .. but do not make the mistake of thingking it will be cheaper ..
            becasue it wont. I found this out the hard way trying to build some stepper
            drives .. the cost of the components in the drive I built was about half what
            I could buy a gecko for ... except I had to build about 6 bad ones first, and
            the thing I ended up with was not as good anyway ...

            > I didn't find the complete protocol at the file section.
            > There is a "proposed protocol", that is not very informative.
            > But I don't think you ment that.
            > I was hopping to find a complete set of commands, USB ids etc...
            >
            > FOR ART: Is it possible to send the g2002 commands via RS232.
            > It will be much easier to build such system without the hassle of USB.

            No .. generally speaking RS232 is not really quick enough ... its also
            rapidly disappearing from PC's so not worth developing for. USB is actually
            very easy to use, and if you choose the right interface IC's appears to the
            programmer as a simple serial port anyway, so need not be any harder than
            using rs232 ... certainly the code I wrote for the G2002 under Unix/Linux
            uses a virtual serial port, so it woudl work exactly the same if it was rs232
            or USB ...

            --
            RapidCut CNC Technology

            CNC Plasma Cutter
            http://www.rapidcut.co.uk/
          • ballendo
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
              Isak,

              There are other USB mode boxes in the works. Some will be
              considerably less expensive. My own Beehives are an example; but
              they've been pushed aside while I try to get these Mach2 docs caught
              up--or at least started well<G> (It "helped" that the 1st beehive
              boards arrived with errors. Later this month they should be
              available.)

              The important "protocol" if you're going to use Mach2 as the control,
              is the mainfirmware Art posted at the Geckodrives group in the files
              section.

              The commands used by the Beehives/g2002 with Mach2 are listed in the
              firmware. Even if you're not a programmer, you will likely be able to
              puzzle them out. The commands Mach2 uses in USB mode are listed in
              the part of the code called void Translate()

              The USB "hassle" portion is very nicely handled by the FTDI245BN
              single chip USB interface. It costs only about 6 bucks in small
              quantities, and makes using USB as easy--easier,IMO--than RS232. The
              USB ID is handled by the chip, and is just a generic ID unless you
              add a serial eeprom and code your own ID. This isn't really necessary
              for the very limited way that these USB mode devices use the USB
              protocol.

              The G2002 originally had an RS232 interface, but it was discarded in
              favor of the much more forward-looking USB. The Beehives have always
              been USB, AND there may be an ethernet version in the future.

              Stock Beehives will come with 4 axes, 8+8 IO (expandable to 6 axes,
              and 32+32IO!), and "should" be about 200 bucks (Final price yet to be
              determined) The initial versions are "card and MB" format, so you can
              put your own card(s) in to deal with encoders/servos/etc. Also, if
              some part goes bad, you can replace only tthat card, rather than
              needing a whole new unit. The connectors are goldplated; but NOT edge
              connectors, which seem to degrade over time. The Beehives are
              functionally and electrically identical to the G2002 and can run code
              developed for it. They do have some additional features which will be
              detailed when they are released.

              I have both through hole(kit) and SMD versions in the works, and an
              FPGA type is underway as well. My need for these is to support some
              very inexpensive CNC machines I'm bringing to market later this year.
              Meaning the cost of the G2002 is too much for me too! My need becomes
              a benefit for others.

              Hope this helps,

              Ballendo

            • Robin Szemeti
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
                On Wednesday 02 June 2004 10:28, ballendo wrote:

                > It "helped" that the 1st beehive
                > boards arrived with errors. Later this month they should be
                > available.)

                <rant begin>

                This is standard for the component supply industry ... $freind commissioned
                20,000 boards via a UK based PCB maker ... which arrived 0.5mm larger than
                needed .. which in a panel 10 wide means the last board is 4.5mm further away
                than you want ... so does the SMT glue mask fit? no it does not. Of course
                they argue that black is white and a million and one other reasons why its
                not their fault ... even though the size is right on the gerber we sent...
                You'd think that since we use around 1million of these boards a year, theyd
                make an effort to get the first batch right ... the next batch will come
                fromt he far-east again, because they *always* get it right ...

                I know this is standard practice for component makers because the cardboard
                box maker did exactly the same thing (making an inner box that did not fit
                inside the outer box .... for good measure, he did this on 3 succesive
                samples) ... a cnc maching company managed to do the same trick with a batch
                of 100 pulleys this week, they made each one with the H7 fit specified
                bearing pocket so loose that the bearing falls out in your hand or actually
                rattlles ... our toothed belt supplier just told me that the price they
                quoted, in writing and I sent a cheque for was incorrect ...

                Somedays I tink it must be me ... are all suppliers this bad? Is it
                anywonder that manufacturing is going to the dogs ??

                <rant end>

                --
                RapidCut CNC Technology

                CNC Plasma Cutter
                http://www.rapidcut.co.uk/
              • Art
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Hello Isak:

                  >>FOR ART: Is it possible to send the g2002 commands via RS232.
                  It will be much easier to build such system without the hassle of USB.

                  No, the g2002 has been modified to USB, but the USB it uses IS rs232
                  really, just over the USB bus instead. While the hardware is there for
                  RS232, the firmware is USB only...

                  > I guess that $350 is a bit expensive for me..
                  > I was hopping to build such controller with some sort of uP
                  > (microchip, atmel etc..)
                  >
                  > I didn't find the complete protocol at the file section.
                  > There is a "proposed protocol", that is not very informative.
                  > But I don't think you ment that.
                  > I was hopping to find a complete set of commands, USB ids etc...
                  >
                  > FOR ART: Is it possible to send the g2002 commands via RS232.
                  > It will be much easier to build such system without the hassle of USB.
                  >
                  > Thanks, Isak.
                  >

                  > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > Contact Geckodrives for a G2002. Last price mentioned for the slab
                  > > was 350 bucks. (I don't remember if that included the required
                  > Rabbit
                  > > RCM2300 microcontroller or not.)
                  > >
                  > > The Mach2 protocol is in the files section of the Yahoo group
                  > > Geckodrive (under firmware). Also found there are the "smart" mode
                  > > protocol(s) that others are working on. The G2002 is USB only. The
                  > > input goes directly to an FTDI245 USB chip. BUT...
                  > >
                  > > Some are using/trying to use the G2002 with ethernet, by changing
                  > the
                  > > rabbit board to a 3600? series. Note that this mode doesn't apply
                  > > the current Mach2 USB mode Rate generator firmware. (The G2002 is a
                  > > usb rate generator.)
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps,
                  > >
                  > > Ballendo
                  > >
                  > > P.S. Note that while the cube version is still available (as of
                  > last
                  > > notice), the Mach2 firmware requires the "slab" style G2002.
                  > >

                  > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "sisakl" <isak@h...> wrote:
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > > Is it possible to buy a complete G2002 system ?
                  > > > Is there a protocol description of the G2002 ?
                  > > > Does it use USB only or can it use RS232 as well ?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks, Isak.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Steve Blackmore
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
                    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:46:12 +0100, you wrote:

                    >You'd think that since we use around 1million of these boards a year, theyd
                    >make an effort to get the first batch right ... the next batch will come
                    >fromt he far-east again, because they *always* get it right ...

                    Ohh no they don't!

                    We bought 10,000 high pressure relief valve spindles from the far east
                    (for hydraulic actuators) at 2.40 each (as opposed to the 2.80 for
                    Swedish made ones). The first 5000 were the wrong size, the second
                    5000 batch, although appearing fine, were actually made of crap and
                    snapped after just a few tens of hours of work. Some had already gone
                    out to customers with broken diggers/tractors etc. and we had to stand
                    the costs of repair due to supplying defective components.

                    The Swedish supplier now makes the parts again, but since someone told
                    him about the oriental debacle, the parts now cost 4.00 each <G>.

                    >Somedays I tink it must be me ... are all suppliers this bad? Is it
                    >anywonder that manufacturing is going to the dogs ??

                    Suppliers are only marginally better than their carriers who can make
                    anybody's day a really bad one, particularly when you run a "just in
                    time" manufacturing system ;)

                    --
                    Steve Blackmore