How do i turn off Speech?

  • Mark Tucker
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2004
      Ok Art

      The novelty has worn off.
      Every time i run Mach2 i get "Program Initialise etc" And i have
      heard it enough times to make me sick whilst i am developing screens
      and testing them.
      I have tried the tick boxes in the logic screen but they do nothing
      and they don't save there state.
      I do not wish to turn off sound because i still like to hear the
      beeps and waves.
      Please help this is driving me crazy?+@#.

      Mark
    • Steve Blackmore
      Message 2 of 16 , May 31, 2004
        On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:41:21 -0000, you wrote:

        >Ok Art
        >
        >The novelty has worn off.

        <G>

        >Every time i run Mach2 i get "Program Initialise etc" And i have
        >heard it enough times to make me sick whilst i am developing screens
        >and testing them.
        >I have tried the tick boxes in the logic screen but they do nothing
        >and they don't save there state.
        >I do not wish to turn off sound because i still like to hear the
        >beeps and waves.
        >Please help this is driving me crazy?+@#.

        Me too - No ticks in mine and the damned thing still yaks away.

        I know it's 25KHz - and don't need reminding at every switch on!

        One of the reasons I think this is just a useless gimmick, apart from
        the annoyance factor, is when the mill is cutting hard (particularly
        routing) you can't hear anything but tool and machine noise anyway -
        so pointless. A silent machine tells me there's a problem.

        I'm not about to start wearing headphones just to listen to some
        bleeps or stick some speakers and a subwoofer in the workshop to get
        through the machine noise.

        --
        Steve Blackmore
      • stevenson_engineers
        Message 3 of 16 , May 31, 2004
          >--- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@p...>
          >wrote:
          > On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:41:21 -0000, you wrote:
          >
          > >Ok Art
          > >
          > >The novelty has worn off.
          >
          > <G>
          >
          > >Every time i run Mach2 i get "Program Initialise etc" And i have
          > >heard it enough times to make me sick whilst i am developing >screens
          > >and testing them.
          > >I have tried the tick boxes in the logic screen but they do nothing
          > >and they don't save there state.
          > >I do not wish to turn off sound because i still like to hear the
          > >beeps and waves.
          > >Please help this is driving me crazy?+@#.
          >
          > Me too - No ticks in mine and the damned thing still yaks away.
          >
          > I know it's 25KHz - and don't need reminding at every switch on!
          >
          > One of the reasons I think this is just a useless gimmick, apart >from
          > the annoyance factor, is when the mill is cutting hard (particularly
          > routing) you can't hear anything but tool and machine noise anyway -
          > so pointless. A silent machine tells me there's a problem.
          >
          > I'm not about to start wearing headphones just to listen to some
          > bleeps or stick some speakers and a subwoofer in the workshop to get
          > through the machine noise.
          >
          > --
          > Steve Blackmore

          Don't apply here.
          None of my shop computers have sound cards or sound at all.
          If CNC's were designed to have sound you would get 4 free tickets to
          see the Royal Philomonic Orchestra or they would come already fitted
          with an Elvis vise.

          John S.
        • Mark Tucker
          Message 4 of 16 , May 31, 2004
            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Tucker" <rmtucker@l...>
            wrote:
            > Ok Art
            >
            > The novelty has worn off.
            > Every time i run Mach2 i get "Program Initialise etc" And i have
            > heard it enough times to make me sick whilst i am developing
            screens
            > and testing them.
            > I have tried the tick boxes in the logic screen but they do
            nothing
            > and they don't save there state.
            > I do not wish to turn off sound because i still like to hear the
            > beeps and waves.
            > Please help this is driving me crazy?+@#.
            >
            > Mark

            OOps

            Just realised if you edit the xml and change voices = 1 to voices =
            0,Silence at last

            Mark
          • Andy Wander
            Message 5 of 16 , May 31, 2004
              Steve:

              Those are good points. The only thing I would add is that just because your
              circumstances make it useless, that doesn't mean it will be for everyone.

              One of the things it has taken my whole life for me to begin to understand
              is that just because I'm right, that doesn't NECESSARILY mean everybody who
              disagrees with me is wrong.

              Andy Wander
              Verrex Corporation

              *

              Message 6 of 16 , May 31, 2004
                On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:45:30 -0400, you wrote:

                >Those are good points. The only thing I would add is that just because your
                >circumstances make it useless, that doesn't mean it will be for everyone.

                No matter how hard I try I can't see this as a usefull addition. If
                somebody can tell me where, and under what circumstances in a cnc
                machine environment this would be of any use I'd be enlightened?

                >One of the things it has taken my whole life for me to begin to understand
                >is that just because I'm right, that doesn't NECESSARILY mean everybody who
                >disagrees with me is wrong.

                Agreed, but let's be honest, this gimmick is akin to an ashtray on a
                motorcycle ;)

                --
                Steve Blackmore
              • Andy Wander
                Message 7 of 16 , May 31, 2004
                  Subject: Re: [mach1mach2cnc] How do i turn off Speech?

                  >>Those are good points. The only thing I would add is that just because
                  your
                  >>circumstances make it useless, that doesn't mean it will be for everyone.

                  >No matter how hard I try I can't see this as a usefull addition. If
                  >somebody can tell me where, and under what circumstances in a cnc
                  >machine environment this would be of any use I'd be enlightened?

                  My point is, if we only relied on one person(you, for instance), no matter
                  how intelligent and well meaning,
                  to be able to "See something as useful", we would probably miss out on a lot
                  of
                  things that seem crazy to the rest of us at first.

                  >>One of the things it has taken my whole life for me to begin to understand
                  >>is that just because I'm right, that doesn't NECESSARILY mean everybody
                  who
                  >>disagrees with me is wrong.

                  >Agreed, but let's be honest, this gimmick is akin to an ashtray on a
                  >motorcycle ;)

                  But I bet you can find somebody willing to sell you an ashtray for your
                  motorcycle, and tell you all about how great it is!
                  (I guess if you ride in severe gridlock conditions a lot of the time, it
                  COULD be useful-if you're a smoker) :-)

                  Andy Wander
                  Verrex Corporation

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129j6mnqi/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups
                  /S=1705063697:HM/EXP=1086119431/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companio
                  n.yahoo.com> click here

                  :HM/A=2128215/rand=772937020>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Roger Tyrrell
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 31, 2004
                    Speech should be very useful for Ballendo when creating the help file,
                    however the screen change buttons seem to have the same ID numbers as the
                    program run/stop/edit buttons.

                    Regarding Male/Female voices, XP European English version has Microsoft
                    'Sam' as the standard voice, if you have the Speech SDK 5.1 installed that
                    adds the Microsoft 'Mary' and 'Mike' voices.

                    Roger Tyrrell

                    UK

                  • Art
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 31, 2004
                      Thanks Roger:

                      That explains it. Some buttons have the same function number indicating
                      they are Macro buttons. They will be handled differently..

                      > Speech should be very useful for Ballendo when creating the help file,
                      > however the screen change buttons seem to have the same ID numbers as the
                      > program run/stop/edit buttons.
                      >
                      > Regarding Male/Female voices, XP European English version has Microsoft
                      > 'Sam' as the standard voice, if you have the Speech SDK 5.1 installed that
                      > adds the Microsoft 'Mary' and 'Mike' voices.
                      >

                      > Roger Tyrrell
                      >
                      > UK

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Steve Blackmore
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 31, 2004
                        On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:32:41 -0000, you wrote:

                        >Just realised if you edit the xml and change voices = 1 to voices =
                        >0,Silence at last

                        Weird - neither of my XML files contain voices string?
                        --
                        Steve Blackmore
                      • ballendo
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 31, 2004
                          Hello,

                          Roger has it exactly. Imagine a new user being guided along a
                          tutorial... But there are other reasons. Simple fact is that not
                          everyone reads well. Some due to eyesight; others for reasons ranging
                          from medical to personal.

                          Speech is just another way to present information. And Auditory IS
                          one of the identified Big three methods by which people learn. I love
                          to read. I'm good at it. But I've been working out of town lately and
                          during the drive I've been listening to a book-on-tape. Since it was
                          a book I'd skimmed before, it was interesting to notice that
                          I "received it" differently by hearing it than when I had read it...
                          Different methods, different results...

                          But DO recall that my push was for .wav files, and speech is not
                          something I've pushed. I still feel that way. Having a .wav
                          capability means I can use sounds which are more alerting or
                          distinguishable (especially in a noisy shop!) than mere beeps...

                          Also, I have several CNC machines. Not all of them are loud. Some are
                          not becaue they are in an exclosure (Desktop pcb mill), others
                          because they don't use a noisy spindle (cutting vinyl with a knife,
                          nylon with a soldering iron, or a laser.) How about running two or
                          more machines using Mach2 inthe same area? Sounds or voice could
                          easily allow you to immediately attend the "correct" machine... "Oh,
                          Irma's alarmed again. At least "Steve"<G> is being quiet" (don't tell
                          me you've never named an inanimate object?<G>)

                          I have the title of "Mach2docs guy", but IMO docs are merely a means
                          to an end; that end being better usability of the program. So I'm
                          pushing for changes to the program TOO! Because ultimately being
                          easily, incredibly, useful is the goal I'm pursuing for Mach2.
                          Manuals are just one approach to that... There are a LOT of places
                          where Mach2 can be made more user friendly IMO, and We'll be working
                          on these as quickly as possible. But it won't happen overnight.

                          There will always be parts of Mach2 which won't have appeal or be of
                          use to a given individual. That's okay as far as I'm concerned.
                          What's not okay IMO is if the unwanted "feature" is an intrusion
                          which can't be avoided. I think that's being settled/corrected right
                          now as regards speech/sounds.

                          And once again I'd like to point out that Mach2 IS a commercial
                          venture! Sounds, speech and other items considered "gimmicks" by some
                          are "reasons to purchase" for others...

                          Ballendo (Mach2docs)\

                          P.S. The big three methods by which people learn are Visual,
                          Auditory, and Kinesthetic. By sight, by sound, by movement. To me
                          that's manuals, speech, and UI/machine motion following a tutorial.
                          It's said that learning increases dramatically when two or more of
                          these methods are combined! Retention of WHAT's been learned is also
                          increased.

                          > In mach1mach2cnc, Steve Blackmore <steve@p...> wrote:
                          > No matter how hard I try I can't see this as a useful addition. If
                          > somebody can tell me where and under what circumstances in a cnc
                          > machine environment this would be of any use I'd be enlightened?
                          <snip>
                          > Agreed, but let's be honest, this gimmick is akin to an ashtray on a
                          > motorcycle ;)
                        • Robin Szemeti
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
                            On Monday 31 May 2004 15:18, Steve Blackmore wrote:
                            > On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:41:21 -0000, you wrote:
                            > >Ok Art
                            > >
                            > >The novelty has worn off.
                            >
                            > <G>
                            >
                            > >Every time i run Mach2 i get "Program Initialise etc" And i have
                            > >heard it enough times to make me sick whilst i am developing screens
                            > >and testing them.
                            > >I have tried the tick boxes in the logic screen but they do nothing
                            > >and they don't save there state.
                            > >I do not wish to turn off sound because i still like to hear the
                            > >beeps and waves.
                            > >Please help this is driving me crazy?+@#.
                            >
                            > Me too - No ticks in mine and the damned thing still yaks away.
                            >
                            > I know it's 25KHz - and don't need reminding at every switch on!
                            >
                            > One of the reasons I think this is just a useless gimmick, apart from
                            > the annoyance factor, is when the mill is cutting hard (particularly
                            > routing) you can't hear anything but tool and machine noise anyway -
                            > so pointless. A silent machine tells me there's a problem.

                            Sadly .. I have to agree. I'm sure it must have seemed like a fun thing to
                            do at the time, but it is not even anywhere near the list of things I would
                            want .. in fact its quite high on my list of things I dont want. Given that
                            in at least a few cases sound support seems to have made the thing unable to
                            start due to a missing file or two, and really is not what I;d want to see on
                            a professional installation I'd be happy never to see hide or hair of it ever
                            again, sorry Art :)

                            Of course, If you are looking for something to do .. I'm having a bit of
                            trouble with one machine still ... the guy is cutting oval slots (or
                            'obrounds' as they are sometimes called) .. so it does semi-circle,
                            straight, semi-circel, straight ... ending up back where it started ...
                            except where it goes from semi-circle to straight I get a straight line
                            across the circle ...

                            let me try and describe it using 'clock' notation ...

                            pierce at 9 oclock, come down through 6 oclock and then up to 3 oclck before
                            going vertically up .... when it gets to about 4:30 instread of doing and arc
                            to the 3 oclcock position , it does a straight line straight to 3 oclcock
                            ...then vertically up ...

                            thisa sounds similar to the 'squared corners' problem that someone else was
                            having on a mill last week or so ..

                            I think this particular machine is running 4.0b ... not been out to look at
                            it yet, just seen the sample parts ...

                            say it is starting at

                            --
                            RapidCut CNC Technology

                            CNC Plasma Cutter
                            http://www.rapidcut.co.uk/
                          • Robin Szemeti
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
                              On Tuesday 01 June 2004 16:48, Robin Szemeti wrote:

                              > Of course, If you are looking for something to do .. I'm having a bit of

                              <snip>

                              Opps ... re reading that it sounds a bit umm harsh. It wasn;t meant that way
                              honest ;)

                              --
                              RapidCut CNC Technology

                              CNC Plasma Cutter
                              http://www.rapidcut.co.uk/
                            • Art
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
                                Robin:

                                >>> Opps ... re reading that it sounds a bit umm harsh. It wasn;t meant that
                                way
                                > honest ;)

                                Don't worry about that, I never take offence from comments here, comments
                                are what its all about and I fully understand the nature of email.

                                OK, Sound is only an option, (except for the beep on error that Steve just
                                noticed, though its been there for a dog's age.). On the current development
                                version it is fully disabled by default, unless you had a previous
                                development version loaded in which case it may be on, but may be turned off
                                as well. The sound routines will have their place eventually, they use only
                                resources already on your machine and cause no overhead or liabilities, so
                                ignore them completely. The wave section was added at popular request and
                                will have its place as well, but the speech was a natural addon to
                                compliment the wav function. A wave file of a person saying " Estop
                                activated" can be up to 4K in length, a speech command of the same thing is
                                15 bytes. The saving in resources is obvious. Leave it off and it will be
                                one of those things you simply ignore or don't know about (from the
                                perspective of a new user.). I knew from the word go that this would be
                                another of those controversial addins and I was tempted to not even let you
                                all know it was in there till it was used, but the feedback actually solved
                                quite a few problems for me. The entire speech and wave file coding time was
                                something less than an hour when I needed a break, so again, no harm no
                                foul, it was that or "Max Payne" at the time.... ;)

                                Now, those annoying "obrounds".Your not the only plasma cutter with them,
                                I know of others and am ripping out what remains of my hair trying to find
                                them. Are they , on yours, like the others where the toolpath display does
                                not show the oblong nature of them but cuts on the screen as a circle?? This
                                seems to be occuring only from line vector circles below a certain diamter
                                on mostly plasma systems, but also on at least one Mill I have heard of. I
                                am actively seeking information on this bug if anyone has some. I need to
                                know a few more things. Does it do it more at higher feedrates, or less at
                                lower feedrates? I am pretty sure this is a CV issue and am looking hard for
                                it, but CV has become too complex as I have tried to tie in too many kludge
                                fixes to the problems faced when many plasma users came online.

                                On a similar subject, can you send me that Plasma test fie you once sent
                                me while I was away, I lost it in my laptop and cannot find it. I need to
                                retest many fucntions of the CV mode to see what can be done, most
                                importantly for plasma work. That file was very good at showing the troubles
                                faced in that area. I see a letter further down from Daniel that seems to
                                indicate a problem in that area as well... I intend to simplify the CV
                                routines and get rid of all the selections. CV was great and worked well
                                till you torch-heads came on the scene, now I need to consolidate all that
                                stuff into one CV mode that works properly..

                              • Art
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
                                  B:

                                  >>> But DO recall that my push was for .wav files, and speech is not
                                  > something I've pushed. I still feel that way. Having a .wav
                                  > capability means I can use sounds which are more alerting or
                                  > distinguishable (especially in a noisy shop!) than mere beeps...

                                  Consider the size of a wave file compared to the text "Press reset" and
                                  you'll know why I added speech capability at my own initiative... The
                                  release pack is getting too large for a few meg's of wave files...

                                • Bloy2004
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
                                    You needn't make the download package any larger with .wav files...
                                    we can create or use our own sounds and maybe others can be kept in
                                    the forum files section....Or anywhere for that matter. .....