Re: [mach1mach2cnc] spindles and tapping

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi Henry,

      My motor's top speed is 6000RPM and it is about 1.2kW (bench-top Emco lathe).

      As to the comparison of AC servos to DC ones, there was a discussion about here few months ago. Do a search there was very much info on the subject.

      The 3 phase power is usually used on industrial machines, because a 3-phase AC motor has a simpler construction and because this is how the power comes from the power plant not needing to convert it. It has nothing to do with rigid tapping. Like it has been said before, all you need for rigid tapping is a good synchronization between your spindle and Z axis. Also, it is desirable that your motor would be able to provide enough power at lower RPMs suitable for tapping.

      Daniel