Re: spindles and tapping

  • Eric Horton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
      I just finished making a floating tap holder and was doing some "G84" rigid tapping. Everything worked great until I decided I needed to wire in another relay for the CCW rotation instead of the one I was using so I would have one for CW and another for CCW. I should have known better (disconnect all power supplies before doing any wiring)but magic smoke came out of my C11T BOB and now I'm dead I might have grounded a 12vdc fan lead to G320 heatsink and might have destroied the G320 too. IMO floating tap holder is the way to go for bench mills.

      Eric

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@...> wrote:

      > HIYA Henry if you have a small machine take a look how rigid tapping was done here. This is a slick setup for a small mill.
      >

      > http://www.hossmachine.info/projects_8.html
      >
      > Just a thought, (;-) TP
      >

      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "H Hatem" <hh8m@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Daniel -
      > >

      > > How many rpm's is your ac servo motor capable of, and what size are you
      > > using?
      > >
      > > Is there a specific reason for using AC vs DC or that is just your machine
      > > set up?
      > >
      > > I notice on machinery with rigid tapping they are always 3 phase power. Is
      > > this necessary with power tapping or?
      > >

      > > Thanks, Henry

    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi Henry,

        My motor's top speed is 6000RPM and it is about 1.2kW (bench-top Emco lathe).

        As to the comparison of AC servos to DC ones, there was a discussion about here few months ago. Do a search there was very much info on the subject.

        The 3 phase power is usually used on industrial machines, because a 3-phase AC motor has a simpler construction and because this is how the power comes from the power plant not needing to convert it. It has nothing to do with rigid tapping. Like it has been said before, all you need for rigid tapping is a good synchronization between your spindle and Z axis. Also, it is desirable that your motor would be able to provide enough power at lower RPMs suitable for tapping.

        Daniel