RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Line Numbering Feature Question

  • Dr Mark Vaughan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
      Don't suppose you have a simple editor that adds line numbering.

      It's nice to have it in mach, you can track through to find a problem in
      Gcode, but then you're a bit stuck when you bring it up to edit in notepad.

      Bugs me and I'm sure it does others.

      Regs Mark

      Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

      Managing Director

      Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

      Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

      Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

      Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

      RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

      From: alenz2002 <alenz@... <mailto:alenz%40bellsouth.net> >
      To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 10:09 PM

      How does one turn on the line numbering feature in Mach3?

      I never even knew that this feature existed until this afternoon when I
      somehow accidentally turned it on. Every line had a sequential number
      followed with a colon. The numbers matched the `set next line' DRO.

      I noticed that even after the file was closed, the line numbers were still
      displayed alone on the screen. This feature remained active until I closed
      Mach3.

      Alas, I have no clue how I turned it on and have tried to duplicate every
      possible scenario that I can think of, but can't get it to repeat.

      Thanks for any help,

      Al

      PS I'm using R3.042.027.

      al

    • Zafar Salam
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        That's why I use a nice gcode editing utility CNC syntax editor. It's easy to track a portion of gcode file with it. I have replaced it with notepad in the general config section of mach3.

        Zafar

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
          There are plenty of text editors that show the current line number,
          usually in a little box at the bottom of the window. I use Med
          <http://www.utopia-planitia.de/indexus.html> in place of Notepad for
          most text editing jobs.

          Les

          Dr Mark Vaughan wrote:
          > Don't suppose you have a simple editor that adds line numbering.
          >
          > It's nice to have it in mach, you can track through to find a problem in
          > Gcode, but then you're a bit stuck when you bring it up to edit in notepad.
          >
          > Bugs me and I'm sure it does others.

        • James Connerton
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
            Al,

            Don't feel stupid,  I had actually forgotten how to do it, and wanted to see some line numbers on a file a few weeks back.  But your question some how jogged (pun intended)
            my week memory.  So thanks to you.  Mach has so much capability, it is easy to forget some function if you don't use it all the time.  You can see what Brian and Art go through to remember and correct the little bugs that get reveled, my hat is off to them both.
            Jim C.
            .

            From: alenz2002 <alenz@...>
            Subject: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Line Numbering Feature Question
            To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 11:55 PM

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@ yahoogroups. com, James Connerton <jdccpi@...> wrote:

            > Hi Al,

            > If you double click in the GCode window it toggles on,  double click again and it turns the numbers off. Pretty cool hu, HTH

            > Jim C.

            Hey thanks Jim.

            That is so simple I feel really stupid. I am a longtime user of Mach, (since Master 5 days) but only recently upgraded and started following the forum again. Looks like I have a lot of catching up!

            Thanks again,

            Al

          • Paul Kelly
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
              Notepad will do it. Make sure WordWrap is turned off (Format-> Word Wrap).
              Then View->Status Bar

              PK

              From: alenz2002 <alenz@...>
              To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 11:55 PM

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                I used to do that, and you could use goto and enter the line number.

                However the version that comes with Vista is blanked out when trying to
                select the status bar, or goto.

                It is also blanked on some of my XP machines, and not on others, maybe
                notepad needs fixing.

                From: alenz2002 <alenz@... <mailto:alenz%40bellsouth.net> >
                To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 11:55 PM

                wrote:

                > Hi Al,

                > If you double click in the GCode window it toggles on, double click again
                and it turns the numbers off. Pretty cool hu, HTH

                > Jim C.

                Hey thanks Jim.

                That is so simple I feel really stupid. I am a longtime user of Mach, (since
                Master 5 days) but only recently upgraded and started following the forum
                again. Looks like I have a lot of catching up!

                Thanks again,

                Al

              • Rich Schmidt
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Hello Mark,
                  Paul Kelly nailed it - You need to turn off word wrap first. Once you do that then you can use the Goto and/or status bar options.
                  Cheers,
                  Rich Schmidt