RE: [mach1mach2cnc] losing steps

  • Randy Brewer
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2009
      Good chance it's Backlash.

      _____

      From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of greatphil6038
      Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 2:16 PM
      To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mach1mach2cnc] losing steps

      Afternoon gentlemen,after inspecting I found I had a loose pinion on my Y
      axes,corrected that problem,mounted a dial indicator, and found as long as I
      put the amount in the MDI screen and go in the same direction every is great
      but as soon as I change direction I loose between .028-.030 thousandths.
      This is a plasma/router table.What should I look for? thanks Phil.

      06:17:00

    • Matthew Billo
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1, 2009
        What do you have the backlash set too?

        MJBillo

        MJB Engineering, LLC.

        Matthew Billo

        17937 Dove Hill Road

        Eden Valley, MN 55329-9500

        mjbillo@...

        320-453-2150

        Message 3 of 27 , May 7, 2009
          Hi, I am having the same problem. I am using Mach3. I am trying to cut a rotor for a vertical axis wind turbine and because of the problem with Mach3 all the cuts are off center.

          I tested my machine with other free download control software and there was no problem.
          I believe it is a truncation problem within the Mach3 software.

          The only way I could solve the problem was to write a macro using G28.1 X -0.003 to reset the axis to its start location. It is working for me because my machine has timing belts on all axis. I do not know if it would work with ball screws.

          If you find another solution please let me know.
          Best Regards
          lokeygv

          Afternoon gentlemen,after inspecting I found I had a loose pinion on my Y
          axes,corrected that problem,mounted a dial indicator, and found as long as I
          put the amount in the MDI screen and go in the same direction every is great
          but as soon as I change direction I loose between .028-.030 thousandths.
          This is a plasma/router table.What should I look for? thanks Phil.

          06:17:00

        • gcode fi (hanermo)
          Message 4 of 27 , May 7, 2009
            Lauri (suomesta ?)...
            It not likely to be a truncation problem.

            What drivers and bob are you using ?
            Step pulse size and or mechanical backlash issue are the likely cause.
            I would suggest, at a more than 99% chance.

            This can be;
            mechanical backlash in the nut
            flex in the mounts (very likely, may still not be the problem even if
            present)
            backlash in the bearings (very likely, may still not be the problem even
            if present)
            coupler
            pulley
            belt profile wrong
            wiring parallel, crossing, near each other (most unlikely of all these)

            In decreasing probability.
            FWIW-
            Every mount flexes. Every mechanical joint is springy. Every screw is
            springy.
            Whether is matters, and whether it can be measured, is another issue
            entirely.

            The other sw is not a valid test, exactly, because the width, frequency
            and speed of the pulses is not the same. Thus it is masking the problem,
            rather than solving it.Or you could say that mach makes the problem
            visible, on your particular hw, same thing.

            Mach uses a very high accuracy internal counter (17 digits) and very
            large numbers of users have confirmed no problems with the maths in
            basic movements. Some special tool compensation etc are sometimes
            another issue, but not with basic movements (g0-g3, etc).
            .